“Had a wonderful stay - I highly recommend Locust Brook Lodge Bed & Breakfast”

Locust Brook Lodge Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 6 Butler B&B and Inns
The Woodlands, Texas
“Had a wonderful stay - I highly recommend Locust Brook Lodge Bed & Breakfast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

Myself and a few other family members rented three rooms at the Locust Brook Lodge Bed & Breakfast when we came in for a family reunion in Butler on fourth of July weekend. I was very pleased with my experience. The lodge is set in a very private location surrounded by a farm and hillsides - the views are lovely. It is quite, clean and comfortable and I especially enjoyed the breakfast. Carol served French toast, sausage and fruit salad - all of which were delicious! I think the lodge is a good value when compared to local hotels/motels. I highly recommend it and we will stay there for the next family reunion. I give Locust Brook Lodge 5 stars.

Room Tip: I stayed in the Hunt room, which is a suite for a family with children - there were two rooms with a...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank StrayFromTexas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Burlington, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013

I have NEVER written a review, however I would be honored to tell you about OUR recent experience at Locust Brook and WE are thrilled that we did not miss out on one of our most memorable getaways!!!! WE feel that we discovered a wonderful, peaceful retreat!!!! My husband took me to this delightful country setting to celebrate my birthday and Mother's Day! We had such a wonderful time as Carol waited on us hand and foot....of which I am totally unaccustomed. We arrived much later than we anticipated, but were greeted with such warmth and friendliness indicative of turning "home". We stayed in the Songbird Room and opened both windows to enjoy a gentle cross-breeze while we slept. Each morning, we were greeted with a comical symphony of roosters crowing in seeming competition. This was hilarious as one seemed to have a bit of laryngitis, which caused us to laugh first thing each morning. There's nothing better than walking downstairs to the dining room in my slippers to a nice, warm breakfast, a hot cup of coffee, and Carol (our hostess) doting on us like long, lost relatives. Her breakfasts were so delicious, I HAD to ask for the recipe for one of them! We felt very comfortable and appreciated. Carol was helpful in giving directions to local attractions and yummy places to eat. I also enjoyed talking with Carol's daughter, "Ronni". She does lovely work on the landscape. It was quite obvious that the late spring has deterred her from planting flowers in the hanging baskets on the covered porch, but I was able to peek at flat of lovely blooms awaiting their transplant. We were blessed to meet Carol's visiting sisters and one of her sons as well, and ALL of them were friendly and made us feel welcome! If I am ever within 50 miles of Locust Brook in the future, you can be sure that I'll be making our reservations there again. I am very eager to bring the rest of MY family too.

Room Tip: We loved our room, but we may choose a lower-level room during the summer as several rooms have a wa...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Dana W
Cliffside Park, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

It has been awhile since I have been in Butler County and I was glad I picked Locust Brook Lodge Bed & Breakfast again.I noticed all the new interesting surroundings as I drove up the farm road. The Horses in the fields, the new Chicken Coop and the landscaping.It was all a great natural way to enjoy the sense of country. Living in the New york city you don't get to see so much nature, it is wonderful to enjoy this in the comfort of the lodge. I loved reading in the gazebo and listen to the chimes. Taking a nap in the big chair in the living room while the kids played pool. Carol always greets me with kindness,and thank her for her wonderful hospitality of country breakfast . Ronnie (Carol's daughter) was kind enough to talk to me about the gardening while she worked around the property. We talked about the plants that are growing and showed my kids the chickens. The kids got really excited to see fresh eggs that wasn't in a carton.Thank you again for the relaxing time and the recipe for the breakfast casserole the kids love it. Can't wait to visit in the summer ,hopefully in July for the Butler Fair and I can go bike riding at Moraine State Park.

3 Thank LALA1973
Hilton, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

Because we had previously stayed at this lodge, our family again rented EVERY room at Locust Brook Lodge for 3 nights. The lodge is roomy, has a downstairs gameroom for the children with a pool table, air hockey and big screen TV, perfect for a large family meeting together from various parts of the country. It is on a beautiful country hilltop with porch areas in which to gather and plenty of outside areas for walks or for the children to play, even roosters crowing as you awaken. But, unfortunately, this stay was quite different than our last for several reasons. First we felt unwelcome, as if we were intruding on the innkeeper, Carol, who lives in the lodge, was grumpy, unfriendly and unkind and spent most of her time in her room, or on the computer playing solitare. We all felt as if we had to tiptoe around the lodge so as not to disturb her. Her breakfasts were skimpy and not as advertised on her website, homemade breads were never offered. Our last morning, when there were 18 people for breakfast, we were offered fruit and 'pumpkin' pancakes and this was the only time we saw she had some help in the kitchen. Our little ones asked if they could have cereal or toast but there was no milk for this purpose (and a convience store and superwalmart is easily accessible) nor any bread to toast. We stayed on a beautiful sunny weekend in May but were unable to use any of the outside porches, they were dirty, litter filled with dead plants still hanging, I suppose from last summer, broken equipment, broken doors, etc strewn all around the perimeter. I have never written a review like this in my 71 years, but feel compelled to forewarn future guests. As the roosters are crowing every morning, you will feel like you are 'wallking on eggs' around this lodge

10 Thank 12Natalie25
Carol P, Owner at Locust Brook Lodge Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
This review and the previous one were submitted by the same family, who obviously had a very disapointing experience with us.
I am very sorry about this situation. I have apologized a number of times.
I too have experienced losses in my family and my heart goes out to them in their grief.
Rochester, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

This is our second visit to this lodge. This visit was so very disappointing. We reserved the entire facility, every room in the home, to attend my father's funeral; my family, two sisters families and my grieving mother. Carol (the owner and innkeeper) knew the purpose of our visit and knew us from a previous visit. She certainly has changed. She yelled at our children who were at 1pm in the afternoon playing air hockey in the basement game room. We asked her if everything was okay and she told us they were driving her crazy! I could not believe she said that about her paying guests. The lodge itself is beautiful, scenery gorgeous, but it was not as well-kept as it was at one time. The guest refrigerator in the basement was filthy and there were dead plants and debris all over the decks and patios. It had stink bugs (my sister killed 16 in her bathroom in one day,) boxes everywhere and it was not 100% clean by any means. She was angry, stomped around and scolded us. When I asked her if we were upsetting her or had done something to upset her she said, "It is not you, I am 70 years old and this is hard and I am grouchy." That was the end of it. The breakfasts were somewhat tasty, but very skimpy. An egg casserole and bananas. Another morning, pancakes and fruit, very inexpensive to make. Only one of the three mornings had a breakfast meat and it was sausage and not enough for 15 people. She was angry when we asked for coffee in the evening (after the funeral.) No coffee or tea were supplied except for the mornings. The last morning, when we asked for milk for cereal (for our little-ones) she slammed a carton with a small amount of milk and said, This is all I have!" It was not enough for even one bowl. Carol, sadly, owns a beautiful facility, but is not servicing her guests...she is offending them. I have been to many B & B and could not believe the way she treated a family, especially a grieving family. Oh, and when we returned from my father's wake (she knew where we where going) we returned to every light in facility off and a completely dark home! I could not believe this was the same B & B I had stayed in years before. This was sadly disappointing and made a very difficult weekend, even harder :(

6 Thank Susan V
Carol P, Owner at Locust Brook Lodge Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
I am truly sorry that your stay with us was so dissapointing. I'm grateful for your feedback as the opinions of all my guests are valuable tools for improvment. As is evident from other reviews, this was not a typical experience. I deeply regret any contributing factors on my part.
Grand Rapids
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

This "home on a farm" is exactly what it is said to be. You pull in and a rooster crows a hello. You enter and Carol makes you most welcome. We stay there when returning to our hometown. Our favorite room is the spacious Trout Room. It, like most of the downstairs rooms, has French Doors opening onto a sizable porch. Its windows look out on a forest and cow pasture beyond. The lower level also features a rec room with huge TV, pool table and much flop-able comphy furniture. Add to all this Carol's tasty breakfasts and you truly have the total BnB offering in a totally quiet setting. Enjoy!

Room Tip: I've found the lower level rooms are preferable.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Kenneth H
Waynesville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

In all my travels, this has to be one of the best places I have every stayed much much better than a regular motel for a better price. Carol was a charming innkeeper and a super breakfast cook (the breakfast casserole was delicious). We came to visit Slippery Rock University, which is only a short 15 minute drive away. We stayed in the Trout Room, because it allowed for my daughter and I to have separate beds while still in the same room (she slept on the small sleeper couch and said it was very comfortable with a memory foam mattress. That room is larger than most, with a door to the patio outside (and a deer who came to see who we were). The downstairs common room has a pool table and a big screen TV. We will definitely be back again.

Room Tip: There is a room upstairs for a family of four, but the Trout Room is extra large and can sleep 3. Th...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank homeschoolmtnmom
Also consider these accommodations in or near Butler
Comfort Inn & Suites
Fairfield Inn & Suites Butler
Days Inn Butler Conference Center
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Butler
Home2 Suites by Hilton Pittsburgh / Cranberry, PA
Home2 Suites by Hilton Pittsburg...
#1 of 15 in Cranberry Township

Been to Locust Brook Lodge Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!