“Very good BYOB”
Review of Sola byob

Sola byob
Reserve with OpenTable
Sola byob is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 74 Restaurants in Bryn Mawr
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Penn
Transit: Bryn Mawr R5 stop is about 1/4 mile away from the restaurant.
Description: At Sola, our mission is to be regarded as an outstanding fine dining destination & a valued treasure of the Main Line & greater community. We strive to serve contemporary cuisine in an intimate & pleasing room with the proper level of service (not too much, not too little). We want our guests to enjoy the window of time that they spend with us, savoring their food & wine & enjoying the company of their friends & family. Our intent is to always remain a BYOB, knowing how important that is to many of our guests. Sola will provide a dynamic menu, driven by what is available fresh for the season. The expectation is that everyone will find a number of choices that appeal to their palate. Our wish is that most of our guests will become regulars & will view us a spot they can enthusiastically recommend to their friends & can rely on when hosting visitors.
Reviewed February 25, 2013

First two times we went, it was terrific. The most recent time was not as good with a waiter who was inattentive at best. The maitre d' had to step in from time to time to assist. The food was good, but perhaps not as notable as the first two times. And dessert took about 30 minutes, as the restaurant was clearing out. Our waiter was just drying glasses and chatting. But they've done veal and fish very well, and also red meat. Usually, desserts are good. BYOB concept is a great one. Can't understand why other areas don't do it. Sola has hopefully not lost its touch - it was a really special spot

Reviewed November 18, 2012

My husband and I had gone to Sola over two years ago and were impressed with it then. For some reason, we hadn't been back in a while but decided to go for my husband's birthday after I was able to snag a Groupon offering for a Saturday night. I understand the restaurant is under new ownership and I must say I was impressed with the new proprietor, Brian, who was welcoming, attentive and cordial throughout our meal. First let me say I love this space. It is intimate and elegant without being pretentious. Though the tables are somewhat close, it didn't interfere with our conversation. My husband chose the cauliflower soup for an appetizer and I chose the endive salad. Both were excellent. My husband chose filet mignon for an entree which was sizable and done to perfection. I chose the braised shortrib. My meat was very good, though not the most tender I have experienced (that would be at Verdad also in Bryn Mawr).I was impressed with the melange of vegetables presented with my plate which was a mixture of diced sweet potatoes and swiss chard in a wonderful sauce. For dessert we shared the cinammon pear sorbet which was fresh, different and delicious. The service here is excellent. Every course was presented in a timely manner and with attentive precision. Though somewhat pricey for a casual dining experience, Sola is a great pick for a special occasion.

1  Thank Wine4me6
Reviewed November 7, 2012 via mobile

My immediate suggestion is to go on a Sunday night. There are only 16 tables and I imagine that it can get pretty noisy on the weekends. Also, they donate 5% of the sales on Sundays to charity; a very nice touch.
Bring your best bottles of wine because you'll want to pair it with the delicious food. The owner waited on us and created a lovely atmosphere for party of 6. Everything we ordered was perfectly prepared and served with a flourish. The salad with blue cheese was yummy; I had the mushroom soup which was absolutely delicious. My short ribs were the best I've eaten. Even though you only get 1 short rib, it was very filling amid met my short rib standards. The duck entree was also delicious.
Desserts are made on the premises. The special that night was cinnamon beignets with chocolate sauce and vanilla ice cream. I thought they had an unusual taste as there was an apple cider reduction which was a little off-putting. pumpkin cheesecake tasted like it was made with real pumpkin. Decaf coffee was very weak.
All in all, it was a wonderful meal. Prices are a little high so be on alert.

1  Thank boncakes
Reviewed October 16, 2012

My main lesson learnt about Solo restaurant is corkage :-) Comming from Europe is a little bit weird for me to bring own wine to the restaurant, but it was no issue there. Beside that I can only praise - delicious food and very frienly staff. I should recommend beef steak as it was simply excellent - medium-rare as ordered.

Reviewed September 7, 2012

Sola is under new management and back to the high quality dining experience it had been. New owner is pleasant and attentive, New chef is first rate.
I look forward to going back again.