“holiday treats”
Review of Bakery House

Bakery House
Ranked #1 of 3 Dessert in Bryn Mawr
Reviewed January 2, 2014

In our family we are big fans of carrot cake and we've never had better that the ones they make here. Pies are also just perfect. Lines are long but everything is worth the wait.

Reviewed December 31, 2013

Had their "bars" as dessert for the holidays. Simply delicious - will definitely be back. Priced fairly.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

We ordered a cake for an engagement party, and the cake was very disappointing: the cake itself was as heavy as a brick, and the frosting was disgustingly sweet. The decoration was professional but pretty tacky with grotesque piped flowers.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

I would strongly recommend not choosing The Bakery House for any of your custom cake orders (i.e. would not recommend ordering a birthday cake, wedding cake, etc.). Do not be surprised when they over charge you for decorations and give you a final quote and then tack an extra $25-40 on to the price. Oh and don't forget they'll also forget that they already charged your credit card for the required $100 deposit and re-charge you again.

I gave them a custom cake order and requested that it doesn't look like a bridal shower cake but a baby shower cake and to incorporate baby shower design elements similar to the sugar candies they add to their cakes. They insisted that the decorator would get in touch with me directly and I could work out the details with her. I called several times after dropping off my order and never heard back from the decorator but rather got an email request that my $100 deposit needed to be in ASAP or else my order would not be processed. Thus I called in again and made it very clear that I wanted baby shower decorations on my cake similar to the ones they placed on their cupcakes. They assured me that they had everything covered and quoted me via email $200 for the two tier cake and $50 for the decorations for a total of $250 and took my $100 deposit over the phone. We then came in on Saturday to proof our cake 1 day prior to the our cake pick-up date. The fondant bow that was supposed to be placed on the cake was about 3X's larger than the bow illustrated in the picture I provided them and there were no 'baby' design elements added to the cake and looked like a quintessential bridal shower cake (the complete opposite of what I instructed). The decorator Collen appeared very annoyed and short with us and let out a huge sigh and went back upstairs to get some additional decor. She came back down with little sugar candy. Please not that thehe sugar candy decorations she added to our cake can be found on Amazon for approximately $5 for a pack of 12 or 24 count. After she added the sugar candy decor the cake looked MUCH better. So we approved the cake and asked if there was anything else and they stated no and so we told them we'd be back in the morning to pick up the cake. Sunday my aunt came back in the morning to pick up the cake and was charged $252.95. She thought that my deposit of $100 was only used as a 'hold' and that I wasn't actually charged. Long and behold I was charged $100 for the deposit a few days earlier on Thursday in addition to the $252.95 she was charged on Sunday. Thus the total of the cake came to $352.95 even though my written quote stated total of $250.

I attempted to call the manager multiple times throughout this week and was then informed in a voicemail that they would be a 'courtesy refund' of $75 even though they overcharged us by over $100. After multiple days of arguing back and forth with Kelly she rudely agreed to refund me by $100 and was insulted by me calling their business fraudulent and deceptive. She also asserted that the little sugar candies they added to our cake should have cost us an additional $40 and that they informed us of this even though they NEVER did!

Bottom line is please stay away and read the negative complaints that depict the very same experience in their reviews. The amount of frustration and agony this bakery caused us was not worth a penny!

Kelly S, Spouse at Bakery House, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2016

Still after all this time, this review is one of the most hurtful. This custom was very nice and very sweet and we couldn't have been more thankful (as we are with all of The Bakery House customers) for the opportunity to provide the cake for this party.
The explanation isn't exactly how it happened...other than when we were called thieves and unprofessional and liars.And then threatened with lawyers and got notifications by 4-5 review websites....all saying exactly the same thing.
Anyone reading the above review or my reply....please know, as Sandy (the owner) leads The Bakery House and the 35 employees into its' 27th year in business, we work hard every single day to do the very best to make each customer feel special and appreciated.
I invite you to go to our website : thebakeryhouse.net or look us up on Facebook to see the variety of work we do, the beautiful decorating and know the we are a scratch bakery. Every cake, pie, bar, muffin, cookie, etc starts with the finest ingredients money can buy.
I do pray every day that the heart of this customer softens and returns to The Bakery House....we welcome everyone...always. Carpé diem!

Reviewed January 14, 2013

The triple crust apple pie, the other baked goods top to bottom and oh... the cherry pie. The Main Line is lucky to have some great bakeries and this one ranks right up there.