“Consistently good authentic Greek food”

Lourdas Greek Taverna
Ranked #11 of 73 Restaurants in Bryn Mawr
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Narberth, Pennsylvania
“Consistently good authentic Greek food”
Reviewed November 7, 2013

I can't remember how long we have been coming to Lourdas, but it has been a very long time (i.e. 10-15 years). We have NEVER had a bad meal here, and we have often had great meals. Lourdas is BYOB without a corkage fee, so it is wine friendly. You need to be prepared here--it is CASH ONLY, no credit cards. There are two banks nearby in case you forget your cash, but if you read this review, you won't forget, will you? It is usually a good idea to call ahead for reservations, especially on a weekend night. The restaurant is small (15-20 tables) and the tables are pretty close together. The tile floor and wall photos transport you to an outdoor cafe on the Mediterranean. If the restaurant is crowded, as it always seems to be on a weekend night, it will be noisy--there is no carpet on the floor or wall treatments to absorb sound. Apps average around $10; entrees around $20 with some higher. Lourdas serves a wonderful appetizer called Imam, warm baby eggplant with onions, roasted garlic and olive oil. I have never had anything like this anywhere, and it really is a signature dish. My dining partner loves the pikalia (a medley of cold Greek appetizers). She got the seafood stew; I got the lamb shank. These entrees have consistently been excellent over the years. We have had many of the other entrees and we can vouch that they are good, as well. We did not order dessert this time (no room for it), but the baklava is yummy and authentic. If you like Greek food, you will not be disappointed in this restaurant! My only hesitation in publishing this review is that I won't be able to get a reservation because you got there ahead of me.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Richard M

Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania
“Great choice for a hot summer night”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

My husband and I ate at Lourdas this evening. We live nearby and have been meaning to try it. The food was fresh and delicious. We had an appetizer of different Greek dips with warm pita. I had a Greek salad and my husband had a roast chicken dish that he enjoyed. The service was professional and we felt as though we were on vacation in our own neighborhood. We'll return.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank WordGirl1968
Jupiter, Florida
“Food great,service slipping”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We had dinner at Lourdas in early June. It was a week night. There were 5 of us. We were greated by a young man who had our table ready at our reservation time. The waitress started out very friendly telling us the specials and then service went south.
We never received an ice bucket for our white wine as we requested,water glasses remained empty and the waitress seemed troubled when we requested more water.Our dinners were great...as soon as we finished the waitress asked if that was all for the night....Having been to Lourdas on NUMEROUS occassions we know that dessert is the final touch. We told her we wanted dessert and coffee. Our dessert came...excellent as usual...our coffee came after and 2 of us wanted a refill...both the waitress and the host were asked...we never got it!!!!!
So sad to see this happening.We felt rushed and it was only 9:15pm when we left. I hope it was just a bad night. Maybe some customer service training wil help.

Spring City, Pennsylvania
“Excellent fresh food---makes you feel like you're in Greece!”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Recently my husband and I went to Lourdas---in spite of less than stunning reviews. We found it to be excellent. We had a wonderful appetizer which came accompanied by warm pita bread. For lunch, we had the lamb, with baklava for dessert. We thought everything was excellent and will return when we're in the area.
It is cash only so be aware of this before going.
We loved the atmosphere---very clean, airy and bright. A taste of Greece right in Bryn Mawr.

DE
“Good food, average staff friendliness”
Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

We went for the food....which was great. Cute and cozy place, and a BYOB which makes it even better. Most of us took food home with us, so the portion sizes were large. Nice value. Not overpriced. The staff seemed a little less than interested in making your dining experience the best it could be. We felt a little alienated by the staff. However, they were efficient. A few more smiles would have made it all the better! Not sure if we would go back but if we are in the mood for some authentic Greek and our usual place isn't available....we may.