“Pompous staff, wonderful Greek cuisine”

Lourdas Greek Taverna
Ranked #16 of 71 Restaurants in Bryn Mawr
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Greek
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Highland Lakes, NJ
“Pompous staff, wonderful Greek cuisine”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2012

If you can put your opinions of the staff aside, have cash in hand and bring your own wine, then Lourdas is a treasure. I thought the food was reasonably priced, exceptionally tasty and the presentation was lovely. What I did not appreciate was the rudeness of the waiter, who interrupted a pleasant exchange I was having with a neighboring table, to let me know my table was reserved for a 7:30 seating and he needed my order. I am torn as to whether or not I'll return. The food was good enough that I want to give it another chance, but I am not thrilled I should even have to weigh things out like this.

2 Thank Sue M

Little Rock, Arkansas
“First Time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

A friend invited us to dinner here -- we had not heard of the place, as we live well to the north. Lourdas is on the "square" in Bryn Mawr (too bad they have not removed the parking lot to create a green!) and is small, but bright. Noise level is a bit high, but typical for a bistro style place. If the sidewalk was wider, perhaps some outside seating would be nice. We brought our CASH and our bottle of wine. The server was very good -- uncorked bottles right away, drink orders offered for soft drinks, water refilled regularly. We asked him to come back several times, since we were chatting -- not a problem, but he wanted to make sure we did not feel we were being left without service. The group ordered several appetizers which were very good, in particular, the scallops. For the Main course, three of us had the whole dorad and the salmon. The dorad was excellent -- flavorful and perfectly cooked. The vegetables were acceptable, if a bit plain. Desserts were very good as well with offers of additional coffee. Overall, a very enjoyable night out, good, attentive service, good food, reasonable prices for fresh fish. I will go back and try this place again.

• Visited July 2012
“Authentic and Delicious!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2012

We have been going to Lourdas for years because we know it is the place to go for authentic Greek food. The grilled lamb chops are always cooked to perfection! Also, try the pan seared diver scallops, sauteed spinach and grilled whole fish of the day. Everything is always fresh and delicious! Prices are very reasonable.

• Visited July 2012
New York City, New York
“I am Not a Fan!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2012

Lourdas is right next to the Bryn Mawr train station. It's a tiny hole in the wall. It's simple, a square room with some cheap art of Greece hung on the walls. Nothing applying in it's decor.

The wait staff is very slow. They also can be a little rude at times. My favorite Lourdas story is once coming off the train I popped in to get an evening reservation. The man who let me in. (The were closed, but staff was inside) was so rude. He was amazed that anyone would come in when they were closed to ask for a reservation. He told me they do NOT take reservations from walk ins and I had to call. So I stepped outside and called from my cell phone 20 feet away and the same guy took my reservation over the phone! Other times when I have called they can be rude over the phone about taking a reservation.

The place is always busy. The food is slow to arrive and trying to flag down a waiter for a refill or to even order can be a task. They seem to like walk by and not look in your direction if your hand is raised or you try to catch their eye.

The food is okay and can be hit or miss. The last time I had lamb and it was very greasy as were my potatoes. I am convinced that if this was in Center City the place would be empty (too many other, better choices). But this is Bryn Mawr and their are not a lot of choices out here for good dining!

Be warned - they do NOT take credit cards (cash only) and it's BYOB (bring your own wine). Also it's very pricey for what you get.

• Visited April 2012
2 Thank James S
Phila. PA
“Always a good choice”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2012

I have had the opportunity to eat both lunch and dinner at Lourdas many times. their food and service are always consistently good. It is a BYOB -- their wine glasses are perfect for any type of wine. The food is traditionally Greek. It is cash only so be sure you take some money-- it will not break the bank though!!

• Visited January 2012