“Verdad or Vermom”

Dining style: Casual Dining
New York City, New York
“Verdad or Vermom”
Reviewed July 17, 2014

Spent the week at Villanova and decided to give Verdad a shot.... Or two. I really liked the atmosphere here. I was traveling alone so I ate at the bar both nights. Elena and Allysa (aka Laverne and Shirley) made me feel very welcome. Verdad's focus is on Spanish and S. American cuisine and wine as well as Tequilas apparently (although I didn't go there.) The first night I had their Spinach Salad with goat cheese (which was absolutely delicious) and the short ribs with mashed fingerling potatoes. Both were excellent! Paired with a Malbec and then a Monastrel, I was a very happy camper. The second night I had the Spinach Salad again and the fried calamari and both were delicious! The only problem I had was dessert. Elena recommended the Churros but I'm not a fried dough guy so I tried another dish which was supposed to be "crispy cones" filled with Dulce de Leche. Unfortunately, the cones were so not crispy that I sent them back. They took them off my bill and I decided to order the Strawberries and cream. This too was disappointing. The second night, I decided to forgo dessert and I left much more satisfied. I really like this restaurant. My advice though would be, dessert should be SO worth it. Otherwise, don't bother.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank TwoMuchTooSi

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Good food, great atmosphere!”
Reviewed June 17, 2014

We went for the early lunch and were not disappointed, but much of that had to do with our server, Sean. He was terrific! Order the Strawberry Guacamole. It is delicious!

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank PhilaMomma P
Swarthmore, Pennsylvania
“Fantastic Food”
Reviewed June 7, 2014

Recently had a group event in the upstairs private room. Great setting and fantastic food -- every dish was extremely delicious.

1 Thank Andrew W
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Surprisingly Good Food, Surprisingly Disorganized Service”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

This restaurant has evolved and improved in its culinary offerings, and slipped in the way it responds to its customers' orders. It describes its menu as pan-Hispanic. When everyone at the table spontaneously proclaims the food delicious, you know you have a winner when it comes to pleasing the palate. Our food was simply superb. When everyone is wondering why a cold appetizer arrives ten minutes after a hot main course, the excuse that the restaurant has a "tapas orientation" and brings out each dish when it is ready is just plain lame! I accept the congenial chaos of a tapas menu, but the degree of incoordination and the incomprehensibility of the sequence in which things were delivered to our table bespeaks a chaotic failure behind the scenes. The food was so great that we will be back. However, we will allow more time for our meal, and order with an appreciation that the food seems to arrive from some mysterious black hole in a time warp than from a kitchen with an organization appropriate to the delivery of the quality of the food that it creates. The servers in general are young, congenially confused by the menu and the diners, and have difficulty relating to the fact that the diners may be trying to finish their dinner in order to be somewhere else.

1 Thank Richard K
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Good food but disorganized service”
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Went there for a mother's day brunch with three kids in our party. The food was very good but it came out sporadically. Adults were getting meals before the kids. They seemed to be asking for kids by having a children's brunch menu, but were not experienced serving tables with young children. Plus we had to ask our server multiple times for parts of meals for different members of our party.

All that being said I would definitely go there again because the food was really good. Just next time I'll leave the kids at home.