“Inventive drinks, delightful tapas”
Review of Verdad Restaurant - CLOSED

Verdad Restaurant
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Philladelphia, PA
“Inventive drinks, delightful tapas”
Reviewed December 19, 2012

Warm ambiance, terrific place to meet for a drink -- the cucumber mojito is exceptionally good. The chef tinkers with items on the menu regularly, so don't expect a given dish to be the same from visit to visit.

• Visited December 2012

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“A gem”
Reviewed December 13, 2012

My husband and I went here a couple of days ago and had a great time. We've traveled a lot in Spain, love Spanish food and wine, and really appreciate restaurants that offer those gustatory pleasures in the US. We were blown away by the quality (and quanity) of the offerings at Verdad. While not the same as the traditional preparations of, say, tortilla espanola or patatas bravas, the offerings of these and other dishes we ordered: brussels spouts with ham (a STEAL at $5!); grilled octopus salad with potato, pickled egg and roasted yellow tomato vinaigrette; and striped bass with pappardelle, black truffles and oyster mushrooms were really spectacular--very well prepared, beautifully presented, and of ample quantity. We ordered these five dishes and a great bottle of wine and had to take bits of the patatas bravas and the brussels sprouts as well as the entire tortilla espanola home, the portions were so generous. The service was prompt and friendly and correct--not too much in your face or so absent as to make you wonder if the waiter had gone home after bringing your food. We didn't experience it ,but there is evidently a happy hour that appears to be well worth the visit. A great place! We will definitely return.

• Visited December 2012
Haverford, Pennsylvania
“Delicious tapas”
Reviewed October 24, 2012 via mobile

Small plates done well. Tasty food with different seasonings. Decent wine list.

Enjoyed our evening once we were seated away from the bar.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
“One of the best meals I've had in a long time”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I recently stopped by Verdad for dinner and wanted to share my experience.

I booked a table using the Opentable app on my phone and showed up right on time. Parking (in the evening) is free and down the street in the alley (to the left of the restaurant if you are facing it).

Once I walked in, I was greeted and sat near the window in a half booth/table setup. I ordered the Spicy Tuna, the Chicken Black Truffle Flatbread and the Patatas Bravas Grande.

I've heard some mixed reviews on the service but it was stellar the night I visited. The food was amazing.

Those 3 meals + an overpriced bottle of sparkling water ran $45. Outside of the VOSS sparkling water price, i didn't feel the prices were outrageous.

Flavor and taste wise, this was one of the best meals I can remember. Most restaurant apps called it a Mexican place but I think that does it a disservice.

I'll be back the next time I'm in this area.

• Visited October 2012
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Delicious Tapas”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Verdad is a great find in Bryn Mawr - right on Lancaster Avenue, next to the Bryn Mawr Film Institute. It is Latin tapas restaurant and a tequila bar. There were 3 in our party and we ordered 5 dishes and 2 desserts. Our bill was about $130 (not including tip) which included 5 drinks (alcoholic) and 1 coffee. We enjoyed our food selections thoroughly! We tried the Hamahi ceviche (a white fish), empanda (2 to an order), black truffle flatbread, short ribs (served on mashed potatoes), and lobster ravioli. Our favorites were the black truffle flatbread - to die for; and the short ribs - heavenly. Dessert: Churros (4) with chocolate and apple empanda. Coffee was good.

You can order tequila flights! We did not but we did enjoy our specialty drinks - various mojitos and margaritas.

The decor is beautiful. Loved the tin ceilings. Service was adequate; not excellent, not bad either though. Our food came out at a nice pace but we had to wait for our drinks at times.

Parking is tight at times in Bryn Mawr. There are a few municipal parking lots in the area, we found one not far from Verdad.

I would come back to Verdad.

• Visited October 2012