“Make it a day of touring in Brownsville PA”
Review of Nemacolin Castle

Nemacolin Castle
Washington DC, District of Columbia
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Make it a day of touring in Brownsville PA”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

On our last trip to Pennsylvania to visit family, we toured Nemacolin Castle in Brownsville, PA. Our tour guide was fantastic, taking us through history. You'd never know that the place started as a humble 2 room trading post. We got a glimpse into life as the family grew and transitioned through the early days into the boom years of the industrial revolution. There are many interesting pieces of furniture in the home and well as the "tools" of the day. We understand there are spirits present in the home but we were there during the daylight hours and did not encounter any activity. Next time.

We extended our day by stopping in to St. Peter's Catholic Church. Amazing stained glass there that depict the French, British and Indians. Beautiful and touching.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank mddem

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“GREAT historical tour, but definitely haunted”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Been touring here for the past four years and I learn something new every time I come! Amazing house with loads of history, and I suggest the historical tour over the "haunted" any day. When you tour the home you are transported to another time, gives you a glimpse what Brownsville must of been like back in it's hay day!
Dated a local who worked there conducting tours... VERY haunted.

Visited June 2012
2 Thank erin r
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“We took the ghost tour and may have seen ghosts.”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We took the ghost tour at Nemacolin castle in October 2011 and October 2012. The tour was extremely interesting and done almost completely in the dark, adding to the creepy factor.

During the tour we took several pictures and found orbs, mist and even what looks like a little ghost dog in one of them. It's a very interesting tour and a fun way to get into the Halloween spirit.

If you'd like to see the pictures we took, you can view them here: http://www.daniellemcginnis.com/2011/10/nemacolin-castle-our-trip-to-real.html

Visited October 2012
3 Thank Danielle M
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“Ghost Tour a Disappointment”
Reviewed November 2, 2011

I had seen Nemacolin Castle featured on "My Ghost Story" and since it is reasonably close to where I live, I decided to do the Ghost Tour. It was a huge disappointment. The young lady who conducted our tour had memorized the script to perfection, but she had no enthusiasm for her subject. She started every section with, "Now blah, blah, blah. . . ", then she just just kind of trailed off. She never asked if we had any questions. She didn't give us much background or personal information about the family. As we left each room, she said, "You guys can follow me."

The tour is based solely on information gathered from paranormal investigators, staff and previous guests. I understand that this was not a Halloween "haunted house" with fake monsters jumping out to scare you, but I think they could make the presentation eerier. We ARE talking about the paranormal here.

Despite all that, I would actually like to tour the house again - in the daylight. From what I could tell in the candlelight, it is a beautful castle.

Visited October 2011