“The Price was Right”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Brookville
New Britain, Connecticut
“The Price was Right”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We stopped here because it was the approximate halfway point on our trip from CT to MI. I can't say anything negative about this hotel but nothing stands out about it. Check-in was efficient. The best thing about our stay was the breakfast. The powdweed scrammbled eggs were standard fare but they had sausage links too. Believe it or not, this was the best "hotel breakfast" we had on the trip.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Bassman607

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Branson
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Room was nice; halls do smell a little smoky, but room was fine. Appreciated the extra sink outside the bathroom. Breakfast was pretty normal, but better than a Days Inn we stayed at later in the week--included rolls, fake eggs, sausage, yogurt, fruit, cereal, drinks.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Darista
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This hotel has an updated facade, a sort of faux-Mediterranean look. The room interiors were very clean, and appeared to be recently updated, too; however, there were small signs of unfinished work. Our room had an irregularly shaped hole in the wall, probably five inches wide, near the window (which appears to be a permanently locked sliding door to the balcony). With the rest of the room appearing neat and well-maintained, this was a bit glaring. I don't understand why it wasn't patched and painted over. The balconies seem very small, so not being able to open the door doesn't seem like much of a loss.

The bathroom lacked a fan, which let the mirror fog up while I showered. There was a second sink outside the bathroom, which I was able to use for shaving. There was a dual light array in the bathroom that made me think there perhaps was a fan at one time, but it was replaced when the hotel was remodeled.

The hotel offered standard continental breakfast fare and cereal and self-service waffle iron, along with a warmer containing biscuits and gravy. My father had the biscuits and gravy and said they were quite good, but I don't really go in for that sort of thing so I had oatmeal and the last banana available instead. The coffee wasn't very good, but I had three cups anyway -- I'm that addicted to caffeine. Two were from the front desk area and a third was prepared in the room using the coffeemaker there. I noticed little difference in quality between them, but both were complimentary, so I probably shouldn't complain too much.

Television was basic cable. It doesn't seem that any premium channels would be available, even if you were willing to pay for them. I watched some Pennsylvania Supreme Court hearings on public access that I found rather interesting. At the conclusion of questions regarding a gambling case in which it was alleged that a $75,000 fine for stealing $200 from a casino constituted cruel and unusual punishment, one of the justices suggested that "...we take $200, put it on red, and let it ride until we get to 75,000." It is a safe bet that this justice spends most court recesses on vacation at the nearest casino!

The side entrance to our room was a sidewalk with a gently upward slope. The concrete showed evidence of recent heavy patching. I imagine in winter that it must be heavily salted and susceptible to damage by that and the freeze-thaw cycle. If you are disabled or heavily encumbered with luggage, it might be worth your while to go in the nearby front desk entrance. As I recall, the entrance was completely level, and it didn't seem that the concrete was heavily repaired, which I would speculate means that it doesn't get as icy in winter. The safety factor might outweigh the slightly longer distance to your room. As for the bathroom, I must agree with the previous reviewer that it did not appear to offer very good access for a disabled person. The shower was a tub, and the handrail did not appear to be of much use for help in getting on and off the commode. I am not sure that there are any special needs bathrooms available for people with disabilities, but I would definitely inquire, because this standard bathroom probably will not cut it if you use a wheelchair.

My father took a trip to the store and lost his keycard, but the front desk said this wouldn't be a problem, as they expired at 11. That was my only real interaction with the staff, other than a maid who warned me that I was about to try my key card on someone else's room (I was in 116, but I was about to go into 106 -- I probably hadn't had enough coffee yet). The staff seems friendly.

There was an exercise room that appeared to consist of some exercise bikes and weights and a small sauna. It was closed for the night when we arrived, and we didn't stick around long enough to check it out. Since the lights weren't on, I didn't get a very good look at it.

This is not the nicest hotel I have ever stayed in. The weird hole was a bit disconcerting, but it didn't harm anything. The sheets were clean and the roof didn't leak, which have been the principal criteria on which inns have been judged from the dawn of history. If you want a mani-pedi, you probably came to the wrong place. But if you are coming late and leaving early, this place has everything you need, unless your needs include wheelchair access, in which case I would definitely ask about the bathing arrangements.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank josephbren
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 7, 2013

My boyfriend and I are Choice Privelage members. We were invited to a wedding in Punxsutawny so we wanted to find a choice hotel in the area. I booked online and was pretty excited to have found a 'decent looking' hotel (from what the pictures show). I was surpirsed when my gps told me to turn into this parking lot. It looked little like the pictures and the parking lot had about 2 inches of snow on it with no signs of a snow plow anytime soon. Having already made the reservations, I couldnt change my mind now. The lobby was decent and the front desk attendant was friendly, but once we got to the hallway, all I smelled was the smell of stale cigarettes. I know this hotel has smoker friendly rooms but for someone like my boyfriend and I (who do not smoke) it wasn't very pleasant. Our room was mediocre to say the least. It wasnt as clean as it should be. We were actually afraid to use the coffee maker in our room because it looked like it had just been rinsed out instead of cleaned. Needless to say, we will not be returning on our next trip in December.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank brib245
Cutlerville, Michigan
Reviewed March 24, 2013

As we drove up I was not sure I should stay there eventhough I had made reservations. Once in the room it was fine and clean. It had a hot shower and clean bed something we needed since we were just traveling through. The Breakfast in the morning was very good with biscuits and gravy, wafffles, milk juice etc

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank opa1945
Glenmoore, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Unsafe for handy-capped folks.
Unsafe bathroom for handy-capped. The hand rail was too far away to reach from commode, it is for the bath. The toilet seat railing was not attached to the floor and moved. Shower not accessible due to IT IS A BATH TUB!

Room Tip: Do not stay here.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank DeeLoew

Travelers are raving about these Brookville hotels

Parma, Ohio
Reviewed March 4, 2013

My husband and I went to our first Groundhog Day and stayed at the Quality Inn for two nights. We got there around 8:30 pm on Friday and had no issues checking in. After checking us in, the lady at the front desk began telling us all about Groundhog Day, what to do, where to go, how the hotel breakfast started extra early, etc. On our way to our room, my husband and I looked at each like - She just assumes we are here for Groundhog Day???? But then, well yea! What other reason would we be there for! It just made us laugh. The exterior of the hotel looked a little rundown, but the room was very nice. They must have done some renovations or just gave the rooms a makeover because we were pleasantly surprised. The bathroom had to been have been redone because it al looked new. All of the doors in the hallway had pictures of a groundhog on them. On the bed in our room were pamphlets listing places to go and things to see while in Punxsutawney. There was a list of all the Groundhog Day events and maps. It was a really cute surprise! The frig was nice to have because we had leftovers from dinner. There was coffee and tea to make as well and the Wifi worked. There was a large flat screen tv. The bathroom was clean, the heater worked, the bed was super comfortable and there was hot water in the shower. What more could you ask for after standing in the cold waiting for Punxsutawney Phil to emerge!?!? We are planning on going to Groundhog Day 2014 and will have no second thoughts about booking at the Quality Inn.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Acceb
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brookville
Budget Host Gold Eagle Inn
Park Inn by Radisson Clarion
Comfort Suites DuBois
Comfort Suites DuBois
#2 of 10 in DuBois

Been to Quality Inn Brookville? Share your experiences!