“Horrible management”

Rolling Hills Ranch
Reviewed July 14, 2013

My boyfriend and I bought tickets for the moonlight ride experience. Needless to say it rained on Friday and was cancelled. The establishment called his brother (who also was going with his girlfriend) and told him to tell us it was rescheduled for tomorrow. Due to prior plans made months in advance for Saturday, we were unable to attend. We called Friday to see if we could reschedule for August (we did not ask for a refund, just a different date). We were told to call Saturday to speak with the manager. On Saturday we called and were told thay rescheduling on another day was impossible because they already spent our deposit on food.

Quite frankly, this is ridiculous. I understand canceling for rain, but not giving people the option to come another date due to the company canceling is stupid.

I can only imagine how rude the employees would have been if we would have been able to go.

3  Thank Steff S
"farm"
"ages"
"parties"

Reviewed June 17, 2013

I recently decided to introduce my mother to horse riding or as she now refers to it as her near death experience (i'll admit shes a tad dramatic). The first time we went was fantastic the horses were calm and well behaved..we arrived at 9am the first time.

The secind trip out was less than successful. We were helped on to our horses and asked for helmets that were not offered even though we didnt sign the waver. We got about 50 yards when my horse decided it didnt want me on. 33 decided to turn tail, as i pulled on the reins to try and stop the run 33 proceded to try and trow me off before i allowed it to return home. Feeling slightly nervous i mounted my second horse and started the trail a second time. All was seemingly well till the top of the hill.

At this point we were informed we could run..this is when my mum began to panic. I informed tge guide she was inexperienced so he stopped and allowed us to walk. We started down the hill and met a hand over guide called dave..which is not how my mum chooses to refer to him but i will keep the language civil. Dave was very eager to return to the barns to collect another group as they only had two guides on the trail. He asked us to hang back so he could gallop back. This is when my mums horse lost it. She started to turn in circles and rear up. My mum screamed for help. Dave watched. My mum screamed again dave trotted another ten yards away and said pull back on the reins...this did not help. My mum began crying and begging for help.Dave tutted and repeated his instructions. I screamed at dave to help. I then dismounted my horse and helped my mum down. Dave came closer and told me to let go of the horses they would go back themselves. We walked back to the barn..dave passed us with his next group of inexperienced riders without saying a word or asking how we were.

We discovered that dave had not explained to any of the other staff what had happened. I did that while my mum hyperventilated. We were offered a free ride...i did not reply I though perhaps she was trying to be funny. I facebooked the ranch to complain about our day they have not replied then have shown the same interest in my complaint as they did in my mothers safety.

I will not return clearly safety is a hit or a miss. The horses were overworked and over heated. The ranch does not cater to inexperienced riders and i would not risk my safety again at this place..i can only advise if you go that you take the helmet and go at 9am because after that the horses are tired, hot and unresponsive to commants. Do not expect any help from the guides either they have more important things to be doing than wasting time preventing injury to the customers or the horses.

3  Thank vikki y
Reviewed May 19, 2013

My 11 year old wanted to go horseback riding for her birthday. Being inexperienced city slickers we had no idea what to expect. The staff was outstanding and assigned us good docile horses. There were friendly, helpful guides well situated throughout the gorgeous scenic trails, and our ride far exceeded our expectations! We even were able to run the horses on the field. The horses looked clean, healthy and well-cared for. There was a place for them to drink along the trails. This was such a great first experience for us; we will definitely be back. Rolling Hills Ranch rocks in our book!!!

3  Thank Rjm31
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I'd like to start this review by saying that I am by no means an expert rider nor have I ever owned a horse. However, I have taken quite a few riding lessons (both English and Western saddle - Lessons also included horse care and tack maintenance) and consider myself a somewhat more experienced rider than the average person. I have perhaps visited Rolling Hills three times in all of the years I've lived in this area.

Rolling Hills is pretty much what you'd expect from a stable/trail riding establishment: Plenty of horses and plenty of beautiful terrain to explore. It's a wonderful activity for a group of friends to take part in. That's about all of the positive comments I have for this place...

The horses owned by Rolling Hills are perhaps the most poorly behaved, stubborn animals I've ever had the pleasure of riding upon. Horses are creatures of habit and these ones are so used to their routine that they refuse to listen to any commands from their rider. They simply go through the motions... If they're feeling up to it, that is. Be prepared for plenty of stops and refusals to change direction, walk uphill, or change the pace...

I also find it somewhat sad that the staff does not take the time to clean or brush the horses before/after each ride. I suppose I'd refuse to move too if my mane was tangled and full of brambles, my hooves were full of gunk, and I didn't receive a nice massage or a break from my saddle after carrying 150+ pounds of human in the summer heat.

Also, the most attention you'll receive from the staff will be when you're saddling up. Just forget it if you require help on the trail. If you do run into any staff, they'll likely heckle you for attempting to ride with the proper form or comment on the "stupid animal" you're riding.

These horses aren't "stupid animals". The people that keep them, however, might be.

5  Thank TheInfamousSpongee