“Good Comfort Food, Laid-Back Atmosphere”
Review of Sauce Restaurant - CLOSED

Sauce Restaurant
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed May 29, 2012

I've been to Sauce twice. The first time I had a burger, which was good but nothing exceptional. The second time I had a mac n' cheese skillet. Now that was awesome. You pick three things from their big list of ingredients and they bring it to you in a giant skillet. It tasted fantastic, and I could only eat half.

As for the rest, the service is riendly, the food comes really quick and the atmosphere is nice and laid-back. Don't have anything negative to say about this place. Good place to grab some good comfort food.

Reviewed January 23, 2012

After hearing this was a great place to get a burger, we decided to try it out. I went with the five alarm burger, and my husband went for the pancetta bacon and gorgonzola burger. We both opted for well-done burgers (undercooked meat is a huge no-no for me) and the side of mac n cheese.

My first observation was the burgers were thick, but did not take up the entire diameter of the bun. A bit odd to leave the outsides of the bun empty of a tasty burger. They also came out overcooked and very dry, which was a bummer. The meat itself had a nice flavor though. Since the burgers were so think, it overpowered the toppings. My burger, which should've had some spice to it, packed virtually no heat. I'm all about balancing the flavors to be complementary, and this one definitely had too much meat, not enough everything else.

On a positive side, the mac n cheese was pretty good. As other reviews mentioned, it comes out in a tiny little skillet from the kitchen. Excellent presentation and it definitely tasted as good as it looked.

Overall, I was pretty underwhelmed by my experience. Not the worst burgers, but nowhere near the top of the list either. Fairly inexpensive tab at $24 for two people, including two beer specials of the day. If you're in the area, it may be an ok place to check out, but I'm in no hurry to return.

Reviewed January 14, 2012

We have been eating at Sauce since it opened a few years ago. Its a fun, comfortable restaurant and the food is dependably good and inexpensive (many dishes are under $10 and I don't think there's anything over $15). However, we noticed yesterday that my hamburger, while delicious, was smaller than in the past, as was my friends' and husband's chicken pot pie, which they did enjoy. However, the men were still hungry after finishing their meals. Two of us received the side salad, which was put in a mug - cute but a little difficult to distribute the salad dressing (house balsamic, which was tasty). The salad was actually very good with many items in it besides lettuce though no tomato (but I'd rather get none than get a tasteless one). My daughter did enjoy her chicken wings as well as her mac n 'cheese. Do not go to Sauce, however, if you want to enjoy a quiet conversation. The front room, with comfortable booths, is rather noisy with music and sports TV, although the less attractive back room, awkwardly situated near the kitchen and bathroom, is quiet. Don't forget, especially if you have children with you, to ask for the free cotton candy!

Reviewed November 1, 2011

Three of us for late Saturday lunch before going to a movie. My husband ordered the Cast Iron Signature skillet, Mom ordered the Chicken Pot Pie skillet & I ordered the Build a Mac (mac & cheese) skillet. Portions are HUGE. We were sure that we would be taking at least half home . . . but then everything was so good, we just kept eating. Our service was good too. I don't know why this doesn't have a better reputation in Pittsburgh, but I guarantee we'll be back!

Reviewed August 3, 2011

This is my favorite place to grab a quick sandwich! Try the ham and cheese with Mac n cheese as a side dish!