“Excellent except...”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Breinigsville
Newtown, Connecticut, United States
“Excellent except...”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Very clean with comfortable rooms and many amenities including a VIP lounge and excellent continental breakfast that is open early. The staff was most pleasant and helpful. All greeted me in passing. The bar and lounge was good but served only a VERY limited menu. No "basic" restaurant which seemed strange to me. It appeared that the kitchen was not located anywhere near the bar/lounge area. It was also obvious that they cater to functions, gatherings and meetings. I did find a very good Italian restaurant close by other than that and a diner across the highway your choices were limited to fast-food eateries. Another fact is that all access is through the main entrance and even the closest parking would not be convenient during bad weather.

Room Tip: The entrance and lobby is on the second floor of the 3 story building. Rooms appear to be located a...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
St. Augustine, Florida
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We spent 4 nights in this hotel and the last night was Terrible. There were people making so much noise, slamming doors yelling in the hall way.... we called the front desk several times and were told security would handle it.
To our surprise we found out the next morning after the noise continued through the night, there was no security on staff..... they asked the housekeeper to handle the situation, and it was not handled.
The young woman at the desk looked to be in her early 20s and had no clue how to handle this situation. The police should have been called but were not.
It is apparent the training and the care in how to handle are severely lacking. We ended up with about 3 hours sleep before a 17 hour drive home. The hotel refuses to give a full refund for that night's stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Don W
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Conference Center Lehigh Valley, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dear Don W,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Allentown, PA.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Wayne, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Enjoyed a lovely stay at this Holiday Inn. Booked for a concert in Allentown, and were pleasantly surprised at just how nice this HI was. Excellent king bed and mattress, well appointed and spotlessly clean. Refridgerator, free wi-fi easily accessed. There was a separate lounge with fireplace for HI club members, and a good bar/restaurant. Had some of the best wings we've had in a long time - and decent selection of on tap beers. Had so much fun with good crowd in the bar, that we slept late and missed breakfast. We travel at the high end quite a lot - and this was a little gem. Very helpful and friendly staff, bartenders!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
NJ
Reviewed August 29, 2013

this was my second stay at this hotel, the first stay was so good I wanted to go back,I love the area where it is located, I had just left another Hoilday Inn in the same state where I was given rewards member recognition , when I walked in it was strange to me that the desk clerk didn't mention anything,and my 10 yr old daughter pointed it out, upon seeing the room I was surprised to see all the stains on the rug, but everything else was fine,until in the morning the toilet overflowed, I just wanted to leave at this point,I checked out telling the clerk about my 2 issues I didn’t even receive a reply, from him, I thought that was very rude, I see how management likes to reply on the bad reviews given, but, I do wonder if the staff is being trained on how to handle these issues, it seems that management wants to make things right and urges issues to be discussed prior to leaving the hotel so they can be addressed, but as for me, they were not , and it's a shame because the area is great, but I will no longer visit this hotel again and will try to go with another chain that gives better service.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Conference Center Lehigh Valley, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Dear simplemom2013,

Thank you for being an IHG Club Rewards member and for writing us a review. it is very nice to know that you liked our location. On the other hand, we are sincerely sorry to read about your negative experience with the staff and with the toilet. Kindly be assured that all your comments are being looked into actions will be taken accordingly. Despite your disappointment I do hope you will return to stay with us again at some future date when you can be assured of our very best attention.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We had a great stay here last weekend when we were in the area for an event. The hotel was clean and comfortable. I like the lounge they had set up with snacks & breakfast for rewards members - we'd never seen that at a Holiday Inn before. The staff were excellent. They were always friendly and ready to help anytime we had a question or issue. The pool area is nice but my only disappointment is the lack of hot tub. Both the website and the in-room amenity list listed a hot tub as a feature of this hotel - something we were looking forward to for this visit - but there wasn't one anywhere on the property.

There is a bar/restaurant on site but it's very loud and slow with service. I usually think of hotel bars as low key affairs where travelers can unwind at the end of the day. This one was dark and had music blaring starting pretty early in the evening. I had one meal there but a band set up and the noise gave me a headache. Luckily it isn't located near any of the guest rooms.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Naperville, Illinois
Reviewed August 22, 2013

I stayed with my family at this property for a wedding function in June. The staff were extremely helpful and accommodating to any needs my family or I had. The big difference between this hotel and any other well-trained staff was made by the manager, John. John is a fantastic manager and took extremely good care of everyone. He is warm and personable to everyone, and made sure that I did not have even one complaint during my stay. If you like great rooms, a courteous staff, and an awesome manager, I highly recommend you stay at Lehigh Valley!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Wanaque
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Stayed 2 midweek nights recently with the family for a visit to nearby Dorney Park (less than 10 minutes away). Check in was nice and easy - I used points to pay for part of the stay and as a result, had 2 separate reservations for the 2 night stay. Front desk was able to amend that so that we didn't have to check out and check back into the 2nd night. Staff was friendly and accommodating throughout the stay.
Our room was on the 3rd floor, which has "executive" privileges (restricted access to the floor, complimentary lite breakfast, and appetizers in evening). Room itself was nice. We had a king room with a pullout sofa-bed. Seemed clean and appeared to be fairly recently renovated. Bed was comfy, couch was nice (the pullout bed was a pullout bed - nothing to write home about, but good enough for the kids for a few nights). Bathroom was clean and modern - something I was concerned about given some reviews - but it was absolutely fine. AC worked well, kept the room nice on the hot days.
We did not have breakfast in the restaurant. One morning, we did partake in the free lite breakfast for the executive floor rooms, which was OK given the price. A decent selection of juices, cereal, coffee, fruit/fruit salad, bread/English muffins.
Pool was excellent - a good size, clean, lots of chairs and tables to sit at. It was a nice diversion for the kids during any down time between activities.
All in all, a nice stay. The staff was friendly and engaged (Summer at the front desk especially), which put it over the top. Definitely recommended.

Room Tip: 3rd floor was nice. Our room was recently renovated.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Breinigsville
Hilton Garden Inn Allentown West
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Allentown-Fogelsville
Homewood Suites by Hilton Allentown-West/Fogelsville
Allentown Park Hotel Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels
Comfort Inn Lehigh Valley West
Sleep Inn Allentown
Sleep Inn Allentown
#10 of 30 in Allentown

Been to Holiday Inn Conference Center Lehigh Valley? Share your experiences!