“How Wonderful!”

The Lodge at Glendorn
Cleveland, OH
“How Wonderful!”
Reviewed July 6, 2009

My wife and I spent a long weekend at Glendorn cross country skiing, hiking, picknicking at the hideway (don't miss it -- they'll pack a wonderful lunch) and skeet shooting. Fabulous food, attentive service, cozy fireplaces everywhere. The view of the snow in the morning out the window of our lovely room and the anticipation of a hearty breakfast by the fire got us up early and the staff helped us choose a new adventure each day. It was like we were suddenly members of the Dorn family. It's out of the way and quiet, but that's the point isn't it? We plan to go back in the Fall to try fly fishing. Worth a special trip!

1 Thank adade13

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Johnstown, PA
Reviewed July 3, 2009

This was our third stay at Glendorn. It is not easy to get there, but the isolation is one of its charms. All of the lodging facitlies are charming and well maintained. The food has always been wonderful each time we have visited (deserving of their listing in Relais & Chateaux). The staff has always been friendly and accomodating. The cross-country skiing was the recreational highlight of this visit. It is just a memorable place, clearly one of the favorite high-end boutique lodgings that we have ever visited. Not surprisingly, the price is high, but then you get what you pay for. I would rate it as a reasonable value compared to other high-end lodgings.

1 Thank HiddenGem2010
knoxville
Reviewed July 3, 2009

Thank you for a wonderful visit. The entire staff could not have been more gracious. I want to thank Damon Newpher especially for the patient and helpful manner in which he guided me on our float of the Allegheny. I have never had a guide work so hard to insure that I learned new things and caught fish. I was struggling that day with my casting but Damon was very patient and showed me some things that I have since used.

I especially enjoyed learning more about the mayflies and caddis. The evening hatch of Green Drakes were unbelievable! Thanks Damon for being so generous with your knowledge and experience.

I hope to see you all soon. Take care.

Regards,
Gary W. Wright

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank KnoxvilleGary
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed June 28, 2009

My husband and I stayed at Glendorn about 4 or 5 times in the last 8 years and the past visit will be the last. The biggest complaint is the meals - they were about 2 hours long and after a full day of activities, we were ready for bed midway through the dinner. Evidently a lot of people do the food and wine pairing, but if you're not interested in drinking, you still have to wait for everyone to finish their course. The meals used to be served candlelight in the main room, now they are served in the back room which doesn't have the charm. We used to look forward to the cocktail hour with the manager hosting, now it's just an impersonal event. The entire weekend seemed to be run by the waitress, who wore many hats and seemed to be managing the property - we never saw anyone in charge.
We even had a long long lunch which we left before completing because my husband had a fishing trip scheduled. Years ago it was adults only, now there are kids allowed which totally disrupts the ambience. I was prepared for a romantic weekend and I got whining, screaming kids. Very disappointed - they ruined a good thing!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Foodfan00
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed March 14, 2009

My girlfriend and I chose Lodge at Glendorn for a one-night Valentine's Day trip. We reserved our cabin online and payed 649.00 USD for the night. We were contacted by the managere the same day we reserved and he made dinner reservations for us. He was friendly and down-to-earth no stuffiness like we experienced at Fauchere. We arrived and found Glendorn snowbound. We were greeted by Scot, the hotel manager who gave us a brief history and tour of the lodge. We followed him to our cabin and he showed us in. We stayed at the Hutch. It was very roomy and had three fireplaces, kitchen, den. My girlfriend did not like the way it was decorated. The service at Glendorn makes up for the decor. Scot delivered champaine and chocolate covered strawberries while we were at dinner and gave us a late checkout. Scot and Natalie were very gracious and kind. We will be back to see Glendorn in the fall as Scot suggested. Great time.

America
Reviewed December 16, 2008

I came to Glendorn for a fun time with my family and it was great! Everyone there was so plesant and helpful. We did a lot of their fun activities and they were very enjoyable. The food was always superb. I would recommend Glendorn to all my friends!

• Stayed December 2007
    • Check in / front desk
Pittsburgh
Reviewed November 13, 2008

We had originally planned a weekend getaway -- looking for something romantic for both of us, but also catering to our individual tastes - high end food and the outdoors for me, and charm and pampering for my wife. Glendorn delivered this and much more. The property itself would be magnificent if all you got was a sleeping bag and a bench, but this place, in spite of its remote location, provides amenities on par with many other relais and chateaux. Over the years we have stayed at all the Relais properties in the US, UK, and many in France and Europe. (Kinloch house in Scotland being our favorite -- if that can provide a baseline for other Relais travellers).

We found that Glendorn delivers the very high level of service and ammenitites (elegant fireside dining, an extensive winelist, charming personal service, and something we both are very picky about -- absolutely impeccable housekeeping). Glendorn has been getting a lot of buzz in the Pittsburgh area, so we decided to make the 4 hour drive to north western PA. The property has an absolutely splendid, and long, private approach drive guarded by vintage operating gates. The road meanders through a primordeal hollow lush with ferns, rhododenron and towering hemlocks. There is just enough taming of the wild landscape to hint of the elegance that awaits as the road unfolds onto the main lodge. The hotel is constituted of a cluster of absolutely elegant depression era cottages, decorated with what my wife and I both feel, is taste that has almost perfect pitch.

Alghouth they are called cabins, they are elaborately architected and constructed stone and brick cottages with original fireplaces, hardwood and slate floors, stone roofs and all kinds of nooks and crannies. Although this resort was built in the 1920s and 1930s, the original builders spared no expense when it came to details. The main lodge has a giant fireplace that was crackling with four foot long logs upon our arrival. The aroma of wood smoke and fresh lilies was welcoming and memorable , we noticed that the lilies arrangements were duplicated on a small scale in our cabins.

I work in the building industry, and anybody who has an even passing interest in either landscape architecture, architecture or decorating will find a treasure trove of ideas here. Not only is the main lodge impeccably landscaped to fit into the surrounding forest, but the cabins also seem to blend perfectly into the pristine backdrops. Pachasyandra, indigenous myrtle, natural stone walkways and elegant construction materials and styles make each cabin individual, charming, and yet with its sense of beloning to the whole. The decorating is traditional, the linens are monogrammed and lush, and the cabins are maintained 2x per day by a staff that seems invisible -- there must be close cooperation between the restaurant and the housekeeping staff, because whenever we returend from a meal, the cabin had already been put in order. Firewood is replenished magically, as are the cookie jars, towels, ice etc. The charm of the main lodge is reproduced in the cabins (we stayed in Miller but met two other couples, one staying at the Roost, and another at Dale's -- each cabin utterly charming).

We had read reviews of the property prior to booking, and were somewhat trepidatious about the bathrooms that "need updating". that we thought we should address this point in our review as it had caused us concern. This is of course a matter of style and taste, but my wife and I felt that the original bathrooms are so charming and elegant (fully tiled, period fixtures, leaded glass windows, hand made cabinetry and closets) , and so easily evoked the mode and mood of days gone by that it would be a SIN to change them in anyway. People coming in from the city who are looking for a chic-ultra modern bathroom a la Ritz Carlton, will probably appreciate the vintage fixtures less than we do, but the charm and mystic of this luxury getaway lost in the middle of a forest would be destroyed by any "updating".

My wife had a lovely massage firseside in one room of the cabin, while I browsed the diverse library at the cabin in another -- in front of yet another fireplace. We were here in the fall, and it seems the perfect time to come to a place such as Glendorn, but the winters must be absolutely enchanting with the snow capped hemlocks, and roaring fireplaces. There was a lovely swimming poll and large lawn behind the main lodge that hinted of summertime relaxation while floating under majestic hemlocks. The food was an exquisite 7 course tasting menu (our only complaint in this regard was the length of the process -- I get antsy but my wife likes to drag out the dining experience so she was not as bothered). This is a small, elaborate property offering such a wide range of appeals that we fell in love with it after one day and decided to extend our weekend by two more days.

We whiled the time away in front of the fireplaces in our cabin, strolling the property, browsing the libraries and art (an amazing collection of high quality art, as well as interesting vignettes of the family life of the owners -- a very large family that began the traditions 80 years ago), skeet shooting (Damon and Brian were excellent instructors and set up a very difficult sequence of five stand as well as some elimination trap rounds that were exhilirating). The property evidently has three ponds/lakes, we found but two, and there is a long hike that goes to the very top of the property where there is an exquisite wood cutters cottage that seems to have stepped out of the pages of Hansel and Grettle from our childhood imaginations.

Anybody looking for charm, romance and a rendez vous with a luxurious lifestyle of days gone by will not be disappointed by this property. The experience builds upon itself and we can not wait to come back.

• Liked — The setting, the service, the charm
  • Disliked — The town of Bradford (about 5 miles away) has seen better days
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank GetAwayHunter
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bradford
Holiday Inn Express and Suites - Bradford
Best Western Plus Bradford Inn
Seneca Allegany Resort & Casino
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#3 of 6 in Bradford
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Salamanca
Best Western Plus University Inn

Been to The Lodge at Glendorn? Share your experiences!