“Excellent Experience”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed December 20, 2013

Lunched here 12/20/13/ It was very busy with Christmas luncheons but the hostess was great and we were seated immediately. Frankly, we didn't expect a lot because all the tables were full and the wait staff was hustling. Our server - David - was excellent. We were not rushed. He was attentive despite the large lunch crowd, David was a true professional.

Food was excellent. Scallops Mediterranean was outstanding ($15). Four large sea scallops served over white rice with vegetables. Veal Mediterranean was also great ($15); veal medallion with roasted potatoes and vegetable. We thought the house salad (included) was very fresh and large and the house balsamic dressing was deemed especially good.

I'm a bread/rolls nut. If the breads aren't great, I tend to believe the restaurant isn't either. Boiling Springs' warm rolls are outstanding! When we finished the basket, David was there to give us more.

Wine list is not extensive but appeared to be well thought out. We had the house chardonnay ($5/glass) - believe it was Livingston. It was a generous serving.

This was one of our "Gotta Go There" restaurants and we were glad we got there. It won't be the last, either. Next is dinner.

Reviewed November 15, 2013

There are about five veal entrées on the menu. I had one this week and it was delicious. It was served with rice and vegetables on the side. The rolls were warm, soft and tasty. Not the kind you get a grocery store. The salad was a mixed salad with good dressing ...not very large but excellent.
Service was with a smile, and very efficient.
I didn't go home extremely full, but I was very satisfied.
I will be returning to try the other veal dishes.

Reviewed October 27, 2013

We've been to the Boiling Springs Tavern numerous times and the food and service have been consistenly excellent. I've tried a couple things but the Cowboy Pork Chop is soooo good I just can't order anything else now. It is not cooked well done which may scare some folks but it is so tasty and so juicy. It comes nicely complemented with mashed pototatoes and veggies. It all just goes together so well. My wife finds the walleye just marvelous but it's not always available. Service is always excellent, as are the desserts, and the wine list. Always a special dinner.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

I don't understand all the great reviews for this place. Ate there this weekend traveling through with husband and son - they both had the special (trout) and I had the Med Scallops. My scallops were poached, served over what might have been instant rice, in some sort of white sauce, with the kind of veggies you get out of a bag in the freezer section - terribly bland to look at and to eat. The trout came wrapped in bacon, which might have been the best part, and came with overcooked asparagus. We all had salads, which were made with the palest lettuce imaginable, unripe tomatoes, and not much else. No effort was made for anything to look pretty, and it was all very tasteless and mushy. My husband commented that it had been a long time since he had actually felt ill after a meal. We eat out a lot, living in DC, and I know what a good meal tastes like, and what a good restaurant looks like. I don't give many bad reviews, but this place was expensive, outdated, bland, and not trying very hard. The only positive is that the staff was friendly. I do NOT recommend it.

1  Thank Snooray
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Some good friends of ours took us to this restaurant. It was a real treat. My wife wanted the seafood pasta, but did not want the Salmon. The waitress promptly told her that she could substitute the grouper. The grouper was superb. I had the Mediterranean Scallops, and is was delicious. The service was a little slow, but it was Saturday night and the restaurant was quite busy. The location of this restaurant is very charming, as there is a stream that feeds into a lake by the boiling springs. The place kind of reminded me of some of the taverns I had visited in Wisconson.