“Good overnight stop along I-80”

Holiday Inn Express Bloomsburg
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Bloomsburg
Solon, Ohio, United States
“Good overnight stop along I-80”
Reviewed June 28, 2012

My daughter and I were traveling on I-80 and needed to stop for the night. The front desk lady was friendly and welcoming and gave us a AAA rate. She invited us to use the pool even though it was later than the posted hours (but we didn't have suits and were fine to just relax in our room). The room was spacious and clean. The bathroom was clean and functioned well. Cinnamon rolls at breakfast were delicious. The hotel is located close to I-80 so it was convenient. I'd recommend this Holiday Inn Express as an overnight stop.

1 Thank Virginia R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
East Lyme, Connecticut
Reviewed June 23, 2012

Our family used this hotel on our road trip, as a stop out and on the way back home. The rooms were very clean and the hotel included a nice pool as well as a warm breakfast each morning.

1 Thank ACappon
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed June 22, 2012

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express for a wedding in June 2012. The rooms were the standard Holiday Inn style. We had two rooms between the four of us staying there, and of all of the beds, mine was wrapped in a thick plastic covering. Which was very strange, and made sleeping uncomfortable. There was no way to remove the wrapping and every time I moved I made loud rubbery noises. Everyone else found their bed to be very comfortable so it seems like it was just my bed!

The bathroom was roomy, and although the hairdryer was not full-sized but it was adequate for a short stay.

The breakfast was pretty good! They had eggs, yogurt, fruit, coffee, juice, cereal, and more!

The fitness room could use some attention. It was not cool enough, and the treadmills squeak and one did not even work. This would not be a problem but there are no sidewalks or places to run outside... I tried and ended up running around the Home Depot parking lot and then in the center median of a large road. It's too bad as the area is really beautiful. Just not pedestrian friendly!

I would not hesitate to stay here again. I would ask for a different room next time though (to avoid the plastic-wrapped bed!)

1 Thank erin-norge
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bloomsburg, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Dear erin-norge,

We appreciate that you took the time to review our hotel. We are delighted to know that you enjoyed the breakfast. On the other hand, I apologize for the inconvenience you experienced over the mattress. Rest assured that this issue will be looked into.

To better assist you on your next stay, please do not hesitate to approach the manager on duty.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 19, 2012

We (myself and my daughter) stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in June 2012. For some reason, I was booked into a "smoking" room but I think this must have been an error on my part and I was too tired to change it once I got into the room. BUT if you have allergies, just double check that you are able to reserve a "non-smoking" room since the hotel is NOT "smoke-free." They seemed to have a good selection of accessible rooms also.

With that said.....the hotel was exactly what you would expect of a Holiday Inn Express. We selected this hotel because of the Holiday Inn reputation, price, the indoor pool, the buffet breakfast, and it's proximity to the Knoebel's amusement part in Elysburg, PA (about 15-20 min away on a 2 lane highway...very easy drive). We stayed for 2 nights and the room was clean, all amenities worked (half-size refrigerator, microwave, alarm clock, flat screen tv, air condition, shower, etc.). The toilet had a slow leak that caused it to flush automatically every 20 min or so the first night, but was resolved the second night (or I was so tired I just ignored it -- not sure!). My 6 yr old daughter made good use of the pool both nights and there were usually a couple of other kids for her to swim with (but it wasn't crowded by any means). Some adults used the hot tub but it was not a rowdy crowd -- mainly just overnight travelers relaxing and we had a pleasant conversation while the kids swam. The pool is open from 5 am to 11 pm (no lifeguard).

The breakfast is free and offered from 6 am to 10 am and was busy with guests both days we ate there. The first morning we got there at 9:30 and everything was still plentiful, hot and fresh...well maintained. The second morning, we had to get up very early and were there by 6:20 am. Again, everything was set out and ready to go with no issues. The menu changed slightly each day. The first day we had cheese omelettes, biscuits, bacon, warm cinnamon rolls, yogurt, cereal, toast/bagels, coffee, juice selection and there is a pancake maker that is super simple to operate. The second day most items were similar except the omelettes and bacon from day one changed to biscuits & cream gravy/scrambled eggs. The coffee cups were a bonus as they come with lids -- so you can take a cup to go. There was plenty of parking in the lot and there is some overflow parking in the back of the building but it wasn't needed while we were there. There are dinner options very near by (you can walk to most) such as Perkins, Ruby Tuesday, Quaker Steak & Lube, Wendy's, Cracker Barrel and perhaps one or two others. No room service is available. There is also a gas station across the street for easy fill-ups in the morning before hitting the road. This isn't the Ritz, but the staff is very pleasant from the front desk to housekeeping. Upon check-in, they greeted us with a gift bag that had 2 cold waters, 2 soft cookies, 2 potato chip snacks (I'm a Priority Club member). The exercise room had a reclining bike and a couple of treadmills and appeared to be well air-conditioned and rather small (but I never saw it crowded).

The only items that kept this particular hotel from getting 5 stars in my view were very minor things that most people would probably just overlook (maybe I'm jaded): 1) the accasional toilet leak the first night (which was resolved night two), 2) there was no in-room safe available, and 3) the pool towels were very small -- more like large handtowels than the over-sized pool towels many hotels offer (but on the plus side, they were plentiful so if you needed 2 each to get dry, no problem -- they were there for you). This property strikes me as very reliable and clean, safe bet for a stay in Bloomsburg or the Elysburg area....we would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Hotel is 3 floors and there is one elevator near the lobby, but you can access stairs near the end o...
2 Thank mommylonglegs
Reviewed May 27, 2012 via mobile

From the moment I arrived at the Holiday Inn Express in Bloomsburg, PA for my friends wedding, til I checked out I was more than happy my friend blocked rooms there! The woman that checked me in was so friendly and helpful. She checked me in quickly,(I had mentioned I wasn't sure I'd have enough time to get ready and squeeze in a workout) answered all my questions about the wedding venue, and before I ran off she told me where I could find the fitness center! she made sure I was taken care of! After our wedding we invaded the back patio to continue our night w the bride and groom! We were quiet and respectful, however I thought it was so great that the staff didn't hurry us off the patio to our rooms. (a lot of hotels do so w/ wedding guests) The rooms were clean and very nice, comfy beds, and stocked w/ anything you may need. At checkout I had finally met the General Manager, Matt Hickey, that all my friends said had already been so great and accommodating! He was awesome! He was friendly, professional, and thoughtful of us even as we were leaving. Myself and two friends were clearly having a rough morning and he offered us water bottles as we finished checking out! Simple, but awesome! I can't say enough good things about the hotel! They are truly doing a great job and representing the company well! I'm in customer service as well, and the entire staff that I had the pleasure of dealing with was doing a great job! my close friends flew in from literally across the country for the wedding, and we couldn't have had better accommodations! Although I don't frequent Bloomsburg I will keep in mind while traveling this experience! THANK YOU FOR MAKING THE WEEKEND EVEN MORE PERFECT!

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank Lhulax45
Tortola
Reviewed May 20, 2012

I went to Bloomsburg for my son's wedding. LOVED THE HOTEL!! Super friendly staff, super clean and super comfy! The next time I am in Bloomsburg, PA, I know where I will be staying, without a doubt! :) breakfast wasEXCELLENT too!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Christi C
Akron, Ohio
Reviewed May 9, 2012

The room was immaculately clean, and quiet. The bed was comfortable with 4 pillows per bed.. TV had good selection of stations. Nice indoor pool and exercise room. Good location with plenty of sit down restaurants close. Typical fast food outlets. Stores near like Walmart. Mall across the street. Minutes from downtown Bloomsburg. Staff was helpful. Breakfast was pretty good. Omelettes fluffy, do it your self toasters, pancakes, Yoplait yogart, milk, cereal, bananas, muffins and bagels, biscuits and gravy (usually bacon or sausages). TV in dining area for early news. Computer available in a small room where I was able to do some work as I didn't bring my laptop. There was internet connection in room.

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms that I could see. This is far enough from I-80 to not hear much in the way of...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Lynne M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bloomsburg
Comfort Suites Bloomsburg
The Inn at Turkey Hill
The Inn at Turkey Hill
#2 of 8 in Bloomsburg
Best Western Danville Inn

Been to Holiday Inn Express Bloomsburg? Share your experiences!