“ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC AND AUTHENTIC INDIAN CUISINE!!! 5/5”
Review of Sakuntala Indian Restaurant - CLOSED

Sakuntala Indian Restaurant
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Philadelphia
“ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC AND AUTHENTIC INDIAN CUISINE!!! 5/5”
Reviewed October 10, 2012

I have been to many Indian restaurants in both Pennsylvania and New York, primarily in Philadelphia and NYC, as Indian food is one of my absolute favorite kinds of cuisine. I recently had the absolute pleasure of dining at Sakuntala Indian Restaurant and I can say without any doubt THIS IS THE BEST OF ANY INDIAN RESTAURANT I HAVE EVER BEEN TO!!!

The food has the authenticity of a genuine home-cooked Indian meal, the atmosphere is absolutely fantastic, and the service is polite, knowledgeable, genuine, and VERY HELPFUL, especially for some of my fellow diners who were less familiar with Indian food, who fell in love with every suggested dish.

I cannot wait until my next opportunity to visit Sakuntala!!! Genuine, Authentic, and absolutely delicious Indian food and a wonderful dining experience. A very emphatic 5 out of 5!!!

• Visited October 2012
4 Thank CloudConnected

Bloomsburg
“The most exquisite Bengali cuisine I've had in a while”
Reviewed October 10, 2012

I just got back from a small road trip which included a stop in the Bloomsburg area to visit the local college. I had low expectations of the food mainly because I was very spoiled, being from NY, I wasn't really interested in the pizza or burgers so I stumbled onto this quaint little restaurant. I was drawn in by the great smell that drew me in from a half a block away!

You can tell these guys cook for their customers as if we were all guests in their home. You can also tell and I'm very grateful by the fact that they don't use any MSG. Huge plus.. The restaurant is run by a cool Bengali couple that just ended up out in Columbia county.

It's a definitely a must when in the area!

• Visited October 2012
5 Thank revoishere
Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania
“I'd rather sleep hungry”
Reviewed June 7, 2012

This was by far the worst Indian restaurant I have been to.

The price is super high and the food is I dont know how old.. they microwave the food and serve to the customers.

I'm not a cook.. I can hardly boil water but I'm sure I can cook better than the chef of this restaurant.

I may sound rude, but I'm very disappointed, the food isnt realy indian and is below average. I moved to Bloomsburg recently and was so excited to find an Indian restaurant but not any more.

Visited April 2012
Pennsylvania
“Genuine Bengali cuisine”
Reviewed May 23, 2012

Mushtaq and Millie established Sakuntala a number of years ago and this restaurant has become a Bloomsburg favorite. We go out of our way to support local business and are happy to meet friends here and recommend the place to others. Not only do they work very hard in this mom-and-pop business, but they established what has become a hugely successful Bengali festival that takes place every year and brings wonderful talent to the area. Mushtaq and Millie are generous in donating food to local charities and also offer cooking classes. Bloomsburg is fortunate to have them and this wonderful restaurant.

• Visited April 2012
7 Thank MarikaPennsylvania
“No one can do worse”
Reviewed May 3, 2012 via mobile

The Shakuntla in Bloomsburg PA is the only "Indian" restaurant in this area. This should give it a monopoly of a sort. Thus, no competition means the consumer will surely loose. Poor customers are being deceived since the food can't be called Indian by any standards. The owners are from the Indian subcontinent and they should be ashamed for calling it an Indian restaurant. They should not have people believe that they are serving Indian food since the very well know themselves that the food is not Indian.
If you want something similar to Indian food then please go to Tandoori Place in Tannrseville near the Crossings outlets.

sigmond_001, Manager at Sakuntala Indian Restaurant, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
We try our best to satisfy our customers by providing them with best meal experience. That's the strength of our business. We survived and flourished because we take our customers' concern very seriously. And we try to give our customers best. We prepare every meal individually by a highly qualified and published chef well known Northeastern Pennsylvania. We ask you to visit us again and test the true authentic Indian food, the way it should be.