“Outstanding”
Review of Orchard Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bird in Hand
Orchard Inn
Ranked #2 of 4 Bird in Hand B&B and Inns
Abingdon, MD
“Outstanding”
Reviewed October 30, 2011

I like to visit the area of Lancaster County around Strasburg, and Bird-In-Hand frequently to just get away for a few days of relaxation. For several years I looked for just the right hotel / inn with the right combination of location, price, quality, and restful setting. Until about 1 1/2 years ago I had not been able to quite find that desired mix! Then I stumbled onto the Orchard Inn; which had many outstanding reviews both here on Tripadvisor and other services.

During a day trip in the spring of 2010 I stopped by the inn to make a reservation for a stay later that summer. Person on duty insisted that I take a tour of several rooms that were currently vacant. This is something that I have not seen at an inn in the US; although I have seen it on a regular basis on smaller inns in Europe. That act alone convinced me that I had found the inn I was looking for!! I made my reservation for three nights in July 2010. Unfortunately since it was close to the July dates I wanted; they did not have a room that could accommodate three consecutive nights. I was advised that they would accept my reservation with the understanding that they might have to move me to a different room during the course of my stay. When I arrived for my mini-vacation I found that they had been able to book me into one room for all three nights!

During that first stay I found that the inn had everything I had been looking for! I have stayed there three more times, the most recent in October 2011 and have booked additional stays during the winter of 2011 and the summer of 2012.

If you are a regular guest they will allow you to reserve a specific room; provided you make the reservation far enough in advance.

All of my stays have been extremely relaxing and refreshing. Breakfast is adequate. Rooms are spacious and well appointed. Without exception the owners and staff value every guest as a member of their extended family; which is something you do not see in many hotels or inns today!

I usually get a room close to the lobby and have found that the Wi-Fi is available in the room. TV service is provided by satellite. I have not watched TV much, but have found the service adequate with a large number of channels available.

Room Tip: Make your reservation as far in advance as possible.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Mike C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
New York
Reviewed October 23, 2011

I do not want to write a rave review, as I can no longer get a room here, the secret is out. LOL
I have been coming to the Bird in Hand area for about 10 years now, and after staying at numerous popular places ( Bird in Hand Inn, Amish View, ect...THIS is the best! Lovely Christian employee's ( Mennonite/Amish) , beautiful peaceful views, quiet and relaxing, just the way it should be when coming to this area. We like to walk, and you can stroll down the roads without seeing a car for some time. Breakfast is good enough , with fresh homemade breads and jams, local yougart, and an assortment of cereals, ect. Pricing is moderate, but off season it is cheap! Book ahead for busy times, or you may not get a room. :) oh, and the best part, the big, comfy beds! Down comforters, just like the pricey hotels. ( The reviewer who complained about the walls? This is AMISH country, PLAIN and simple and the decor reflects this, I think it is charming!

Room Tip: If you need an internet connection, ask for a room nearest the office, or you will have none!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed October 13, 2011

My husband and I normally stay at a bed and breakfast while in the area, but it was booked. We found this motel on a previous trip during a horse and buggy ride. I was not disappointed and although my husband liked it, he didn't like it as much as I did. The room was spacious with a king bed. The furniture was all Amish-made and beautiful. The bathroom had the shower and toilet in one room, the sink outside which was helpful in the morning. It also came with a little fridge and microwave. One thing that wasn't great was the "closet" was in front of the fridge, so when I wanted to open the fridge, I always had to move the clothes that were hanging.
The thermostat was also off. The first night I moved it to 65 since it was going to be in the mid 30's outside. We woke up in the middle of the night BROILING. I turned it off and opened the window to cool it down. We didn't turn it back on the rest of the trip and were comfortable. The first morning, the faucet knob in the shower broke off and they had it fixed right away and were very apologetic that it happened.
The breakfast was basic, but good. There was coffee, tea, hot chocolate, juice, 3 types of cereal and granola, locally made yogurt, bread , and jam. We had a small breakfast, since we do a lot of eating while in the Amish country. It was enough. Kauffman's Produce Market is within walking distance, but you still may want to take the car, because there is SO much good stuff to purchase.
Across the road from the motel is a horse with a "bubble gum machine" with horse feed that you can get for a quarter. That was fun; the horse was very friendly. Down the road a bit to the right is an Amtrak track. Kids who love trains would be very excited to see one rush by :)
The girls in the office were all very nice and always ready to help if needed. The whole place was clean, clean, clean. You could have eaten off the floor of the bathroom! We would stay here again in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: I think any room would be good. We were next to the ice machine and didn't hear a thing.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Rixeyville, Virginia
Reviewed October 11, 2011

Tuesday, October 10, 2011

My wife and I spent a quiet and peacefull night at Orchard Inn. Super cean both inside and out. A non-smoking facility, this was great! The continental breakfest was fresh and adequate. Outside was a gazebo, areas with table and chairs, and a beatifull well manicured lawn, made enjoying the fresh air and Amish scenery that much nicer. Price was $110, we found this was compareable with others in the area. We have been vacationing in this area for 20+ years and have never stayed here for whatever reason. This was a nice surprise. Amenities include wireless internet, super clenliness, with plenty of quiet and room for kids to play! We don't recomend to those that want a pool!
Larry W

Room Tip: Ask for what is available, ie: handicap, number of beds needed per room, rooms personal view.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Palestine, Texas
Reviewed September 30, 2011

I read a few of the negative posts about this place AFTER we stayed and before I posted. I guess some people just can't be happy because this place was amazing! It isn't fancy, but it IS clean and has a homey feel to it! It is located just off a major tourist highway, but it is very quiet because of the orchards on either side of the property and just over a hill from the highway. The breakfast was definitely superior to others as pretty much everything is homemade, the staff was friendly and helpful, and the beauty of the countryside and Amish homes were breathtaking! We were on the tail-end of our east coast vacation and needed this quiet respite! We didn't take advantage of ANY of the tourist traps that go with this area...we just enjoyed our lodging and it's surroundings!! We WILL go back!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Karen B
toronto, ontario
Reviewed September 21, 2011

You certainly have to know where you're going to find this place - but that's the beauty of it. It is located in farmland, overlooking the countryside. The place was clean, all the amenities were there. The continental breakfast was far superior to anything you get elsewhere. Homemade bread, jam, yogurt from the local farms. Choice of cereals & juice & fruit. Most of the people we chatted with were returning guests and the others, like us, will be when we return to the area. It is a motel, and is priced as such. If you want a more upscale stay book at a B & B or something. It amazes me that people book an affordable place and expect it to be the Grand Hotel. They were doing some painting and our room had 2 chairs so obviously they are taking these reviews to heart. All the staff we encountered were helpful. The breakfast room was bright. If you have children, unless you are just coming to sleep, they probably would prefer a place with more for them to do.
Our only complaint was the weather, there was rain the whole time and there was flooding in areas nearby. We'll just have to return to be able to sit outside and enjoy the beautiful countryside.

Room Tip: My husband's only complaint about the King bed was it was too big! lol
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Milltown, New Jersey
Reviewed September 3, 2011

Just got home from our lancaster vacation. Orchard Inn is nestled in a charming area. absolutely beautiful off the beaten path just enough hear only the clip clop of the horses hooves. I was quite surprised to read the recent reviews that downed some of the attributes of this place. The rooms (at least the ones we were in) were spotlessly clean I witnessed the cleaning girls doing the windows inside and out everyday & we had plenty of seating (2 chairs in our room) the decor was simple not a lot of tacky pics and freshly painted white walls. The grounds were charming and very well maintained. There was a continental breakfast every morning a previous review complained about this but perhaps they were not clear about what a continental breakfast is it is not eggs pancakes and bacon it is a light meal and this one was better than what I have encountered elsewhere. coffee and toast no store bought junky danish here homemade bread with fresh spread homemade yogurt made with milk from the neighboring farm and lots of fruit and juices. there was also an offering of homemade grain cereals. We were thrilled with this place! The staff was very helpful pointing out places of interest also. We will definitely be returning here as a matter of fact everyone we talked to here was a repeat visitor. you will not be dissappointed!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Fulton Steamboat Inn
Fulton Steamboat Inn
#2 of 39 in Lancaster
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,861 reviews

Been to Orchard Inn? Share your experiences!