“Enjoyed our stay”

Amish Country Motel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Bird in Hand
Reviewed August 1, 2013

This is a small family owned motel , nothing fancy, but has everything you need & is very clean.
The rooms are nice with a good size refrigerator for all your goodies you buy, the bathroom is small but clean, lots of towels & towels in your room for swimming in their nice little pool.

They have chairs out front to sit & watch the traffic & amish buggies go by, which is nice & relaxing.

The package deal includes an amish tour & it was great. The guide Nancy was very informative & funny. They stop at several amish businesses to shop & look around, all were nice,

Package deal also includes breakfast & dinner buffets at the Bird in Hand restaurant & the meals were very good.

If you want a nice little motel with all you really need & is clean, this is a great place.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank nancy m
Alicia A, Guest Relations Manager at Amish Country Motel, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2013

Clean and friendly is our aim! We’re so glad you enjoyed your stay and hope you can come see us again soon.

There are newer reviews for Amish Country Motel

Reviewed July 16, 2013

We arrived to the motel very late for our check-in. Thankfully, I called early to tell them this would happen and they left the key for us, since there's no one in the office that late (though they do have a way to reach someone). This is a no-frills motel, but it was very comfortable & we would stay here again.

The bed was comfy, there are a ton of channels on the tv and the AC worked great especially considering how hot & humid it was!

Beware of the bathroom soap - it's the kind that doesn't rinse off very easily. And they have a shampoo dispenser, not travel size bottles, so you should definitely consider bringing your own toiletries.

The lady at the front desk in the morning (I think her name was Donna or Debbie?) was super nice!

We were very impressed by how well the rooms stood the test of time. I believe I read somewhere that they had been renovated in 2005 (not sure if that's true). They were very clean and clearly well-taken care of.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Joanna S
Alicia A, Guest Relations Manager at Amish Country Motel, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

We’re so glad you enjoyed your stay. Donna Howe, our property manager, really appreciated your comment; she certainly leads by example. Come back and see us again soon!

Reviewed June 25, 2013

If you want an experience from the past that measures up to present standards, then this little motel near Lancaster will fill the bill. Room was nothing fancy, but met all of our expectations. The bed was better than most you will find in the big chains. Be sure to sit in the chairs out front and watch the world pass you by, including the local Amish.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Lonnie Y
Alicia A, Guest Relations Manager at Amish Country Motel, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

We’re delighted you enjoyed your stay! Come back and see us again soon.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

I just returned from a 3 night stay at this country motel. The property is clean and well maintained but definitely nothing fancy. We have stayed at many of the motels in the area and have to say that this one is our favorite. The staff is friendly and helpful but the amenities are basic. I would recommend you enjoy some time sitting in their wonderful lawn chairs and watch the horse and buggies drive by!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank AZtransplant05
Alicia A, Public Relations Manager at Amish Country Motel, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

We’re so happy to be your favorite! Watching the buggies from the front lawn is a great way that many of our guests unwind. If you haven’t already, you should try our complimentary 2-hour Amish farmland tour on your next visit. We hope to see you soon.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

Nothing fancey but worth the price as it has a good location and is part of the bird in hand hotel group. This gets all the benifts at a lower price. Pool is small but cool on a hot day. Located mid way between bird in hand and intercourse the tourist locations. Ask about the green dragon market and get the best sausage sandwich on earth.

• Stayed: May 2013

Thanks for your kind words. We’re happy you enjoyed your stay with us.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

My friends stayed at the Bird-in-Hand Family Inn a couple years ago, but it was all booked for Memorial Day so we tried the Amish Country Motel. It was clean and comfortable, but the wi-fi and water pressure was weak. It's centrally located off a main road in Amish Country, but the kicker was the delicious Strawberry Lemon Bread they gave upon checkout. I became a VIP and would probably go back if given the opportunity.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sweets786

We love our VIPs and are glad you signed up. Our Bakery’s Strawberry Lemon Bread really is tasty, isn’t it? A Wi-Fi fix is underway, and our maintenance team was dispatched as soon as we read your post to check on the water pressure. Come back and see us again soon!

Reviewed May 26, 2013

Once again I am writing an updated review of our home away from home. Every Memorial Day we hit up this little gem of a motel and take in the sights. We had a late check-in which is normal for us. We arrived Thursday evening and Greg, in the office is so pleasant to speak with and will help you out with whatever you need. I always sit at the edge of my seat to see what (if any) upgrades they have made since our trip the previous year. This time around was another sweet surprise. WI-FI!!! We never thought we'd see the day! No more hot-spotting, no more AOL Dial Up! We were connected in seconds. They also removed the wallpaper, wallpaper border and changed the curtains from red to blue. It's very nice to see that they take great pride in even the simplest of upgrades. Another great thing was the fridge! It was not the little dorm sized one that we had used for years, it was about twice the size. VERY impressed. Believe it or not the fridge is important. On your little trips to the markets, smoke shops, bakeries etc, you will want to store your delicious delights and drinks right? So the added size is a plus! Now we can shop for more delights and be confident that there is room to hold them before we leave the motel to head home. This is such a small motel that really no in-room Microwave is needed, because in the breezeway they have 2 Soda Machines, ice machine as well as a microwave. Being that the motel is small, the walk to the microwave takes a minute. There is never anyone there. I have never used it myself but do appreciate that it is there for the visitors. I still don't know why the Snack machines were removed a few years ago. Strange. Just soda machines now. Ok, so now back to the room. Everything was perfectly neat and tidy and that is the way we love it. We never fear that there is going to be an issue when we open the door. There was a weird smell though this time, that almost smelled like cat urine. It was pretty strong. I did notify the office and it turned out that the housekeeper had tried out a new cleaning chemical. I can't fault her for that, but it really was strong. We were lucky enough that we were offered another room on the 2nd night (typically they are booked on Memorial Day Weekend) but we politely thanked them and declined because at this point we had gotten used to the smell and it was not a big deal. Also my Husband was sitting on one of the table chairs and it was wobbly. He almost fell right off of it. We told the office as we were heading out for the day to take in he sights. We were told maintenance would take a look at it for us. On we went. An hour later we went back to our room to take a bathroom break before heading out again. The chair was fixed already!!! AWESOME turn-around! I have to say I just love this place. The housekeepers are WONDERFUL. They take care of the rooms. Rooms are ALWAYS clean and you never feel as though you have to walk around in shoes or socks. The carpets are spotless, bathroom floor is clean, shower, sink, dressers etc. They really do a great job. So be sure to tip them upon your departure. They leave a little envelope for that on your table. We usually leave $10.00 or so. NOW, even though I am a VERY loyal visitor I have to say that the things I would like to see upgraded are the bed and the TV. I think maybe the King rooms have upgraded to a flat screen, however the doubles are still with a tube TV. Since everything in Amish Country closes down by 8pm (not in Lancaster itself) in the evening you will want to sit outside on the fabulous lawn chairs or, watch TV in your room. I find the tube TV's always have an iffy picture quality. I would love to see all the rooms have a flat screen. The bedding is not good for my Husband and I. For YOU it may not be a problem though. The beds are hard, and the pillows are just as hard. We always run over to K-mart and purchase two cheap pillows for our stay. The first night we tried to get through it and we were terribly uncomfortable. Up most of the night. They are so firm! I think they do this because it's easier (cheaper) to maintain it's form than more of a plush pillow. But, I think it's time to upgrade all of the bedding TO plush! A down (or down-alternative) comforter and some plus pillows. Four on each bed would be great. If you have both double bed filled you are stuck with one firm pillow and be prepared to be uncomfortable. This time my Husband and I went alone (without our Son) so we both shared the bed and were able to take the two pillows from the other double. but even so, it was awful. Some people may LOVE firmness so I can only speak for myself here. But just keep that in mind if staying here. I would suggest bringing a couple of softer pillows or purchasing a couple in town. The bed sheets are crisp and fresh. Clean as can be. So don't let my rambling complaints deter you from this motel! I LOVE it at the AMC. I just would like to see those two upgrades (bedding and TV) other than that - this place is perfect. It's a no-thrills motel. Just a nice place to sleep in peace and quiet. The grounds are beautifully maintained. The staff is awesome too. The room including bathroom is a bit on the small side but you really don't spend much time in your room anyway. You have use of all amenities at the Bird in Hand Family Inn so if you want the indoor pools you can go there. So that's that. Once again, thank you AMC for a wonderful visit. We love and adore you! Sad to see the old sign go, but the new one is beautiful and welcoming! If anyone has questions about what to do in the area, contact me! I can let you know some of the great markets and restaurants that shouldn't be missed! If you can get out of the room early there are some GREAT places in the area to grab breakfast!!!

Room Tip: First floor rooms have parking at your door. Bring a couple of soft bed pillows for your stay. The...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank chasingali

We’re always working to update our rooms, and we’re so happy to hear that you noticed! We appreciate a 5 star rating, and we love hearing that our service is hitting the mark. Your constructive criticism didn’t go unnoticed. We’re working on replacing mattresses, pillows and bedding. We also started putting flat screen televisions in the King room and the Suites. Come back soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bird in Hand
Fulton Steamboat Inn
Fulton Steamboat Inn
#1 of 40 in Lancaster
Best Western Plus Intercourse Village Inn & Suites
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Lancaster (Amish Country)
Eden Resort and Suites, BW Premier Collection

Been to Amish Country Motel? Share your experiences!