Greystone Manor
Ranked #4 of 4 Bird in Hand B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 14, 2013

My husband and I booked a winter weekend in February 2013 in the Mansion. The Owner's were welcoming and friendly. The whole B&B is exceptionaly clean and beautifully decorated. The rooms were warm, cozy and very comfortable. Compliments to the Chef, each morning our breakfast was absolutely delicious with a nice variety to choose from. We enjoyed having a relaxing breakfast with the other quests and the Owners engaged in conversation while we were all enjoying our coffee answering any questions about the area and suggestions where to go for the day. Everyone was so friendly. We would definately go back again. We would love to see the gardens in bloom in the summer, and relax at the pool. I would recommend the Greystone Manor to anyone that would like a nice get-a-way. and the area is full of shops, really beautiful farms, and good food.
Patti & Craig

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 7, 2013

my husband and I booked a room here for a night from a living social deal. first off, we got the tiniest room in the back of the entire place. although the room was clean, not all the lights worked, there wasn't much room to walk around, and the bed was too stiff. then the next morning, we go with everyone else to have our breakfast. What kind of B&B serves continental breakfast?? when i book a room at a B&B, i expect homemade food. the only thing home-made were the pumpkin pancakes, which were ok, but served with store-bought packaged muffins?? they couldn't even make eggs?? what a cop out. my husband and i were severely disappointed with this. don't call yourself a B&B if you're going to serve this crap. i could go down the street to a gas station to get the same stuff.

Room Tip: do not take one in the back unless you are traveling alone and/or enjoy being cramped.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Discordia84
Reviewed February 5, 2013

My husband planned a trip to Graystone for a birthday gift for me. He called the inn and was told to reserve online which he did. He never received a confirmation of the reservations, so we made other plans. While using the reservation program, he ordered a cheese tray to the tune of $39.99. We were to arrive on Friday night. On Saturday of the weekend of the trip, we received a phone call wondering why we did not show up. My husband explained that we had never received the confirmation and had made other plans. He was told that he would have to be charged for the cheese tray. Since we live about an hour from the inn, I decided to drive down and pick it up. $40 was $40 right???? UNBELIEVABLE!!!!! The tray consisted of 6 pieces of cheddar cheese that had BEEN GRATED and had mold on the bottom, 8 pieces of pepper cheese, a slice of spreadable cheese, 12 crackers (that weren't even stale), 10 strawberries and one sprig of grapes. I called down to Angela, the owner, who proceeded to ask me if I was sure the cheese had been grated???!!!!! There were grate marks on the pieces which were cut into odd shapes....to top it all off, these were all placed on a tray that had been used before!! It had cut marks on it. I was appalled. Unfortunately, this has sealed the deal for my unwillingness to stay at their inn. If YOU decide to stay, don't order the cheese tray!

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Bonnie S
Reviewed January 1, 2013

My husband and I planned a night away from our kids and decided to see Jonah and stay at a B&B. We have stayed at other B&B's in the area; when we saw the advertisement for Greystone Manor included with our Jonah tickets we decided to try it out. We were very impressed with the price of the rooms; we paid $99 for a very nicely decorated room in the Mansion with a comfortable bed, fireplace, TV and private bath. The location can't be beat- you are a stone's throw away from so many attractions yet feel like you are in your own private world. From the moment we entered the house, we felt at home. Angela greeted us warmly and showed us around. She asked if we needed any recommendations for dinner or activities and provided us with a detailed map of the area, along with coupons for local destinations. Since we were paying less than we have at previous B&B's, we were anxious to see the room however it turned out that our fears were not justified. The room even included a DVD player along with a huge selection of films to choose from. The bed was very comfortable. In the morning, we woke up to the smell of freshly made pastries (a wonderful way to wake up!) and were pleasantly surprised with the fresh pastries and juices that were laid out. We were offered a plate of eggs cooked any style, homemade hash browns and a yummy buttermilk biscuit. One of the best parts of breakfast was speaking with Angela about her experiences running the B&B and what it is like growing up in Lancaster. We found out that Angela makes all of the pastries herself; she is Greek and made delicious Greek pastries. I even took some baklava for the road! Overall, my husband and I had a fantastic time at Greystone Manor and will definitely come back. In fact, next time we are thinking of bringing the kids!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Laura C
Reviewed December 20, 2012

My family reserved three rooms to take my grandson to see Thomas the Train. The Greystone Manor owner, Angela, was well-organized and explained options which best met our needs. Upon arrival, check-in was friendly and efficient. The requested rooms were reserved as promised. Rooms were clean and nicely decorated. Beds were quite comfortable. Greystone Manor offers a lovely Victorian parlor for guests. The Christmas tree had just been set up, and it was beautifully decorated. The exterior of the Victorian mansion had festive lighting that put guests in the holiday spirit. Prices are affordable and include a terrific homemade breakfast. Ours included eggs cooked to order, hash browns, danish, muffins, various fresh fruits, donuts (our grandson's favorite!), toast, bagels. The next morning Greystone served French toast with ham, and a buffet of varied breakfast treats. We have stayed at this B&B a number of times and it is consistently adorable. Our party was 6 adults and my grandson. Everyone loved their stay. I spoke with a number of other guests and all shared the same view -- they had a lovely time. Angela chats with guests each morning and helps guests plan their day. This is helpful not only for directions but for learning about new experiences. Angela maintains a basket of menus for area restaurants. This is available to guests and we found it most helpful. Lastly, I want to address negative reviews for B&Bs. I have seen reviews which are utterly inaccurate. Some, sadly, come from competitors. Others from folks who complain about everything. You've met them too.
Cyril Weller, Vestal NY Nov. 2012

Room Tip: Ask Angela. There is a range of price and room size. She is most helpful. The Carriage House has...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 29, 2012

My wife and I live near Amish Country in Ohio, and decided to visit Lancaster County, Pennsylvania for a nice long weekend. Since we had plans to go to Sight and Sound and see Jonah, we elected to stay at Greystone Manor. SO glad we did! First of all, Greystone came highly recommended even all the way in Northwest Ohio! We have stayed in many B & B's...some good, some fair...our experience at Greystone was FANTASTIC!

After we checked in, we went to have dinner and then stopped off for some ice cream at Lapp's Farm. One of the many great recommendations by the innkeeper/owner. When we got back, we sat out by the pool after a walk through their BEAUTIFUL gardens. The couple who owns the B & B sat out on the patio with us and we talked for about 35 minutes. They were VERY welcoming and were very quick to offer options on places to visit, asking us first what we liked to do and what our interests were. As the sun went down and we retired to our room. Our room was cozy, which is just what we needed. As we are parents of a five year old daughter, it was nice to have some alone time. More importantly, it was nice to wake up on our own without our little girl wanting to wake us up at 6:30 to play. : )

When we went down for breakfast, we walked into the dining room and were greeted by the music of Enya, which my wife absolutely LOVES! The aroma of breakfast being cooked was what really made us feel at home. We truly felt like we were visiting and staying with family. There was fresh fruit, pastries, juice and coffee. We were also served french toast with homemade strawberry sauce, local ham, and eggs made to order. The owner's father, Pete, was running the kitchen. He told us that although he is retired, he loves to come down to the B & B and make breakfast for people.

Before we checked out, we took another stroll around the gardens. We sat at the gazebo for a short time and spoke to another couple who had stayed there the previous night. They told us that they have made Greystone an annual event for the past 8 years. With our experience, it is no wonder why they keep coming back! I think we will be doing the same thing...

I travel a lot for work. I have stayed in B & B's, Hilton hotels, and even the Ritz-Carlton at Central Park, NY. One thing that hotels lack that B & B's offer is warm, personal service at a very affordable rate. Greystone Manor is at the top of my list of B & B's. Will not only return, but will highly recommend!

Room Tip: Mansion was nice! we did get to see one of the rooms in the carriage house. Also very nice. Only...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Shawn1973
Reviewed November 25, 2012

My husband and I were taking an overnight trip to Lancaster to see Jonah @ the Sight and Sound Theatre and this B & B came up in the listing of options for lodging. When I go back to that sight now however, I notice that it is no longer listed in the Lancaster Association of B & B's. And that's a good thing, because my husband and I would not recommend it.
I guess I should have noticed the red flag whenever I booked our reservation. I asked about the advertisement offering rooms for $99 which included double occupancy, dinner, breakfast and a carriage ride and was told that "none of those rooms are available for the night you are interested in". There was no mention in their ad that there were limited rooms available for the package, but I booked a stay there anyway...bad idea. Even after getting to the B & B, there is a huge sign that hangs outside on their wall advertising the same package but offers no disclaimers for limited availability. We paid $187. for a small room with an uncomfortable double bed next to the noisy highway. Our room looked better in the pictures on the website.
What was 100% unacceptable though was that the next morning we woke up to take showers and had NO WATER! We got a TRICKLE through the faucet on the sink, enough to wet a wash cloth so we could at least wash our face. We waited for over half an hour to get some kind of pressure, but NOTHING, so we dressed and went down to breakfast. We said something to some of the other guests in the dining room and they too said they weren't able to take showers. The only guests that didn't have a problem were the ones that stayed in the carriage house.
Breakfast consisted of two pancakes, a slice of ham and a buffet of store boughten pastries and "fresh fruit" that was out of season and had no taste. The coffee was terrible. I toasted a bagel and got a coffee once we got on the road.
Following breakfast, we approached the inn-keepers husband and explained our problem of having no water to which we got the following response ~ "there must have been too many people trying to take showers at the same time and it was probably our fault for running the dishwasher at the same time too". Some of the other guests spoke up and said they didn't have water either and he suggested that we all go up and take showers then, to which one of the guests responded "well then we'd end up having the same problem wouldn't we"? We walked out of the room and my husband and I (who are also business owners) looked at each other and said "that went well". My husband decided that he was going to have another talk with the owner after we took our luggage out to the car and it so happened that we ran into the inn-keeper in the parking lot, in her car on her way to work. We explained the situation to her as well and got a "sorry about your luck" attitude. She explained that they had a well (which most likely means that this has happened before) and that she would be more than happy to give us a "late checkout" so we could go up and take a shower then (she also mentioned that she had just put laundry in the washing machine...SO hello, we'd have the same problem as we did earlier). I explained that we were dressed and ready to leave as we had a 5 1/2 hour trip home and were really hoping that they were going to compensate the guests affected by this water situation ~ she offered us a free carriage ride. I told her she had already included that with our room when we checked in and she said "well there you go then...that would have cost you $24. had you had to buy it". It was 39 degrees out and my husband and I were NOT interested in a carriage ride!!!! This woman rolled up her window and drove off, clearly not getting that customer satisfaction is key to running a business! When my husband and I have an unhappy customer, our first priority is to do whatever we can to resolve the situation. Can't say that for the owners of Greystone Manor ~ I guess they figured they already had our money, Clearly, we will not be staying at this bed & breakfast again and after reading recent reviews, understand that we are not alone.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
#3 of 3 in Bird in Hand
Comfort Inn Lancaster - Rockvale Outlets
Smoketown Inn of Lancaster County
Best Western Plus Intercourse Village Inn & Suites

Been to Greystone Manor? Share your experiences!