“Affordable and Adorable”

Ranked #4 of 4 Bird in Hand B&B and Inns
Vestal, NY 13850-1301
“Affordable and Adorable”
Reviewed December 20, 2012

My family reserved three rooms to take my grandson to see Thomas the Train. The Greystone Manor owner, Angela, was well-organized and explained options which best met our needs. Upon arrival, check-in was friendly and efficient. The requested rooms were reserved as promised. Rooms were clean and nicely decorated. Beds were quite comfortable. Greystone Manor offers a lovely Victorian parlor for guests. The Christmas tree had just been set up, and it was beautifully decorated. The exterior of the Victorian mansion had festive lighting that put guests in the holiday spirit. Prices are affordable and include a terrific homemade breakfast. Ours included eggs cooked to order, hash browns, danish, muffins, various fresh fruits, donuts (our grandson's favorite!), toast, bagels. The next morning Greystone served French toast with ham, and a buffet of varied breakfast treats. We have stayed at this B&B a number of times and it is consistently adorable. Our party was 6 adults and my grandson. Everyone loved their stay. I spoke with a number of other guests and all shared the same view -- they had a lovely time. Angela chats with guests each morning and helps guests plan their day. This is helpful not only for directions but for learning about new experiences. Angela maintains a basket of menus for area restaurants. This is available to guests and we found it most helpful. Lastly, I want to address negative reviews for B&Bs. I have seen reviews which are utterly inaccurate. Some, sadly, come from competitors. Others from folks who complain about everything. You've met them too.
Cyril Weller, Vestal NY Nov. 2012

Room Tip: Ask Angela. There is a range of price and room size. She is most helpful. The Carriage House has...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Findlay, Ohio, United States
Reviewed November 29, 2012

My wife and I live near Amish Country in Ohio, and decided to visit Lancaster County, Pennsylvania for a nice long weekend. Since we had plans to go to Sight and Sound and see Jonah, we elected to stay at Greystone Manor. SO glad we did! First of all, Greystone came highly recommended even all the way in Northwest Ohio! We have stayed in many B & B's...some good, some fair...our experience at Greystone was FANTASTIC!

After we checked in, we went to have dinner and then stopped off for some ice cream at Lapp's Farm. One of the many great recommendations by the innkeeper/owner. When we got back, we sat out by the pool after a walk through their BEAUTIFUL gardens. The couple who owns the B & B sat out on the patio with us and we talked for about 35 minutes. They were VERY welcoming and were very quick to offer options on places to visit, asking us first what we liked to do and what our interests were. As the sun went down and we retired to our room. Our room was cozy, which is just what we needed. As we are parents of a five year old daughter, it was nice to have some alone time. More importantly, it was nice to wake up on our own without our little girl wanting to wake us up at 6:30 to play. : )

When we went down for breakfast, we walked into the dining room and were greeted by the music of Enya, which my wife absolutely LOVES! The aroma of breakfast being cooked was what really made us feel at home. We truly felt like we were visiting and staying with family. There was fresh fruit, pastries, juice and coffee. We were also served french toast with homemade strawberry sauce, local ham, and eggs made to order. The owner's father, Pete, was running the kitchen. He told us that although he is retired, he loves to come down to the B & B and make breakfast for people.

Before we checked out, we took another stroll around the gardens. We sat at the gazebo for a short time and spoke to another couple who had stayed there the previous night. They told us that they have made Greystone an annual event for the past 8 years. With our experience, it is no wonder why they keep coming back! I think we will be doing the same thing...

I travel a lot for work. I have stayed in B & B's, Hilton hotels, and even the Ritz-Carlton at Central Park, NY. One thing that hotels lack that B & B's offer is warm, personal service at a very affordable rate. Greystone Manor is at the top of my list of B & B's. Will not only return, but will highly recommend!

Room Tip: Mansion was nice! we did get to see one of the rooms in the carriage house. Also very nice. Only...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Shawn1973
Tionesta, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 25, 2012

My husband and I were taking an overnight trip to Lancaster to see Jonah @ the Sight and Sound Theatre and this B & B came up in the listing of options for lodging. When I go back to that sight now however, I notice that it is no longer listed in the Lancaster Association of B & B's. And that's a good thing, because my husband and I would not recommend it.
I guess I should have noticed the red flag whenever I booked our reservation. I asked about the advertisement offering rooms for $99 which included double occupancy, dinner, breakfast and a carriage ride and was told that "none of those rooms are available for the night you are interested in". There was no mention in their ad that there were limited rooms available for the package, but I booked a stay there anyway...bad idea. Even after getting to the B & B, there is a huge sign that hangs outside on their wall advertising the same package but offers no disclaimers for limited availability. We paid $187. for a small room with an uncomfortable double bed next to the noisy highway. Our room looked better in the pictures on the website.
What was 100% unacceptable though was that the next morning we woke up to take showers and had NO WATER! We got a TRICKLE through the faucet on the sink, enough to wet a wash cloth so we could at least wash our face. We waited for over half an hour to get some kind of pressure, but NOTHING, so we dressed and went down to breakfast. We said something to some of the other guests in the dining room and they too said they weren't able to take showers. The only guests that didn't have a problem were the ones that stayed in the carriage house.
Breakfast consisted of two pancakes, a slice of ham and a buffet of store boughten pastries and "fresh fruit" that was out of season and had no taste. The coffee was terrible. I toasted a bagel and got a coffee once we got on the road.
Following breakfast, we approached the inn-keepers husband and explained our problem of having no water to which we got the following response ~ "there must have been too many people trying to take showers at the same time and it was probably our fault for running the dishwasher at the same time too". Some of the other guests spoke up and said they didn't have water either and he suggested that we all go up and take showers then, to which one of the guests responded "well then we'd end up having the same problem wouldn't we"? We walked out of the room and my husband and I (who are also business owners) looked at each other and said "that went well". My husband decided that he was going to have another talk with the owner after we took our luggage out to the car and it so happened that we ran into the inn-keeper in the parking lot, in her car on her way to work. We explained the situation to her as well and got a "sorry about your luck" attitude. She explained that they had a well (which most likely means that this has happened before) and that she would be more than happy to give us a "late checkout" so we could go up and take a shower then (she also mentioned that she had just put laundry in the washing machine...SO hello, we'd have the same problem as we did earlier). I explained that we were dressed and ready to leave as we had a 5 1/2 hour trip home and were really hoping that they were going to compensate the guests affected by this water situation ~ she offered us a free carriage ride. I told her she had already included that with our room when we checked in and she said "well there you go then...that would have cost you $24. had you had to buy it". It was 39 degrees out and my husband and I were NOT interested in a carriage ride!!!! This woman rolled up her window and drove off, clearly not getting that customer satisfaction is key to running a business! When my husband and I have an unhappy customer, our first priority is to do whatever we can to resolve the situation. Can't say that for the owners of Greystone Manor ~ I guess they figured they already had our money, Clearly, we will not be staying at this bed & breakfast again and after reading recent reviews, understand that we are not alone.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank bgr8house
Reviewed November 4, 2012

My husband and I are from the same area as Greystone, but went here because someone gave us a gift card. I made reservations a month ago by phone and spoke to a very rude woman - which should've tipped me off to how the place operates, but at the time I brushed it off. I called the day before we arrived to confirm our reservation after realizing Greystone Manor was not going to call me and confirm with me. When I called to confirm our reservations I asked the woman what time would be best to check-in with the package we had purchased and her response was "check-in is from 3-9pm" and wouldn't elaborate past that no matter how many times I asked and rephrased the question. So, I assumed dinner-time would be an okay time to check-in. The woman who cut me off mid-sentence and then irritably sighed into the phone and said "is that all?" and hung up when i said "I guess so." She was obviously in a hurry to hang up.
When we arrived the next day around 5pm, we walked up to the house and saw a man playing with two young children. We thought he was a guest, too, until he said, "you checking in?" He didn't introduce himself or greet us in any other way. We said yes and he took us into the main building and told us to have a seat. He asked if we were going to use the dinner and carriage ride package we intended on getting and when we said yes the man asked, "well, what took you so long to get here then?" He was out of line in his demeanor and very rude overall with the things he kept saying. When I booked the room I was told the package I got included dinner for 2, but instead we were handed a $25 gift card to a restaurant that charged $26 per person. The "carriage ride" was a horse and buggy that only operated until 3pm, so we weren't able to do go after dinner like I thought we would be able to do.
The man showed us our room and said "check out is 10:30am and breakfast is 7:30-9:30am." My husband and I left for dinner and when we came back to Greystone Manor (approx. 9pm) all of the outdoor lights were turned off making it very difficult to navigate the park gravel parking lot and walkway.
The next morning, my husband went out to the dining area around 845am and the only food was watermelon and stale, dry store-bought honeybuns. While sitting at the table, the owners, a husband and wife, were bickering back and forth arguing in front of the other guests. The wife began clearing off the table while people were still eating. She took the butter off of my husband's table and irritably said, "need this anymore?" We felt unwelcomed the entire time we were there. We never saw the owners or the "staff" that are supposedly there even though no one ever sees any staff. The owners conveniently blame things on the "staff" though, it seems.
Basically, the "suite" we stayed in (king room 1) was ok. Small tv, lumpy and uncomfortable mattress, cold and dimly lit room. Bathroom was the only nice thing about room although the toilet only flushed every third time. The ice machine and guest fridge is outside of the room we stayed in, so all hours of the night we heard people getting ice or going to the fridge. Walls are paper thin, blankets looked dirty, floor was dirty in bedroom and bathroom. The "breakfast" was not even something I'd call a continental breakfast. No hot options, nothing homemade, owners/"staff" extremely rude and very poor people skills.
This place is in an incredible location, but the people who run it are in it strictly for the money and don't care at all about the experience their guests have. Overpriced and under-delivered sums up our experience. If anyone thinks Greystone Manor is a nice place to stay they have obviously never stayed in a well-run Bed & Breakfast before. Spend the same amount of money to stay at Rocky Springs Bed and Breakfast down the road. Gorgeous location, fantastic service and phenomenal in every way.

• Stayed October 2012
9 Thank Ashleyd1986
Reviewed November 4, 2012

My wife and I finally got an opportunity to use a gift card to Greystone Manor we were given as a wedding gift. We were looking forward to some time alone without our 3 children, which is an extremely rare occasion.
When we arrived and approached the office there was a man standing there with two children. I assumed they were guests even when he asked if we were checking in. I thought it wasn't possible that this man was in charge of check in. He lead us into the house, not introducing himself or welcoming us, instructing us to sit at an awkward little desk.
When he returned he asked "Why are you so late, we've been waiting around all day?" We arrived at 5:30pm because we were told that check in was from 3-9. We had reservations for the "best room" and for the "all inclusive" package deal.
Best room consisted of what looked like a below average hotel room and a better than average bathroom. Tiny,old television, poor lighting, dirty linens. All inclusive meant we were given a $25 gift card to a restaurant that costs $26 per person. We were given a voucher for a carriage ride that closed an hour and a half before we arrived...thanks
We were told when making the reservations that we were being charges the off season rate. When we were paying. It turned out to be full rate plus some bogus up charges and fees. It ended up costing us over $300 to stay at this place for one night.
This place boasts about their made to order breakfast...the biggest crock of all. It was barely a continental breakfast and while I still had a half hour until breakfast was over the "Lady" of the manor started cleaning up the pathetic buffet of stale pastries and out of season fruit, even instructing one of her children to take the butter off of the table I was sitting at!! I wanted to bring a pastry back to the room for my wife. So, I knocked on the door to the kitchen and a little girl answered and I asked for a pastry. She disappeared and the mother came back with the full tray of pastries, handed the entire tray to me and said "take'em all!" She slammed the door closed and slammed the lock shut. I felt like I was being treated like a squatter in a strangers house.
The best part of the whole trip was listening to the care takers bickering between the two of them. The dysfunction of the relationship must transfer over to the dysfunction of the business. Terrible experience. Thanks for wasting our time and money.

• Stayed November 2012
7 Thank HoggDC
angelinapat, Manager at Greystone Manor, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
hello we are sorry but we will have to disagree with your review and here is why.....
the facts are this our packages are definitly not for our "best rooms" they do sell themselves and we definitly do not have packages for them accept for our romance package for $459.
Our packages are exactly this.....2 night all inclusive package...(right off the reservation page website)
Stay 2 nights in a standard room 5 or 6 or queen in carriage house, have a full hot breakfast for 2 each AM, $25 dinner certificate (or sometime 2 complete meals for 2, depending on restaurants you choose) each night to a local restaurant, free carriage ride tour for 2 (buggy ride), & wine tasting at local wineries.
You can get 2 complete meals if you go with Good n plenty and do the al a carte option (not the family style like we tell you at check in), the card we give you for good n plenty is 2 COMPLETE meals for 2 off the al a carte, entree, 2 sides, dessert and beverage, nothing but tip out of pocket.
So I am sorry you may have read the package incorrect or did not done the al a carte meals at the restaurants we sent you too.
Our packages are value packages that are very good and have won us awards too for Best valued inn in America in 2009! we are proud of that and stand by our 1 night $99 package in a standard room and our 2 night 249 pkg in a standard room and carriage house queen. Thank you very much for clearing up the rooms and packages for future guests there is a major diference in all our rooms and types of rooms. THANK you again for your comments. God bless.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Booked a weekend to attend a family reunion nearby. Communications by phone and email were extremely brief, curt actually. Owner seemed really harried and in a huge rush to get off the phone no matter what time of day we spoke. We had to cancel on the Tuesday before our planned stay because my wife needed emergency surgery. To their credit, Greystone agreed to refund our payment for the nights that they could re-book ... which totalled one night. That was two weekends ago and we still haven't received that our refund. I followed up by email last week and received no reply. I called today and the owner said she didn't know what I was talking about and hung up.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
8 Thank Scott T
angelinapat, Manager at Greystone Manor, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
hello, thank you so much for your review. Our policy at the greystone in lancaster pa location (maybe you have the wrong one there are 5 in the country), is to give you a gift card for the full amount to come back at a later date, so you never lose the money from Lancaster PA greystone. You can always come back and there is no expiration on our gift cards either. Hope your wife is ok, thank you again and God bless. 2658 old philadelphia pike, 17505 lancaster county greystone
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 11, 2012

If your goal is to see the amish country, the location couldn't be better. It is within a short distance from the Amish Village, farms, farmer markets, shops, etc. Our stay even included a buggy ride. The place itself is clean and well taken care off. Our room on the third floor was small, but cozy. Breakfast had plenty of choices if you have a sweet tooth and no allergies to gluten. For not so fortunate, there was no choice, but to get breakfast elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
#10 of 16 in Ronks
Harvest Drive Family Inn
Harvest Drive Family Inn
#3 of 3 in Intercourse

Been to Greystone Manor? Share your experiences!