“Good homestyle food” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Plain & Fancy

Plain & Fancy
Ranked #4 of 13 Restaurants in Bird in Hand
Cuisines: American, Dutch
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups, Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Farm To Table Since 1959. Amos, Ben, Manny and Elmer, are our Amish neighbors who supply us with sweet corn, tomatoes, watermelon, cabbage, broccoli, squash, peppers and onions, and have helped us go from "farm to table" for over 50 years. Plain & Fancy is home to Lancaster County PA's original Amish Farm Feast. This full course, pass-the-platter dinner includes appetizers, entrees, sides, breads, desserts and beverages. Or, sit at your own private table and select from our a la carte menu.
Brick, New Jersey
“Good homestyle food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

Went to Plain and Fancy for lunch after a couple hour drive and were ready to eat. We went to the hostess stand and they said it would be a 15-20 minute wait, which left us browsing the gift shop for a while. After our name is call and we get show our table, I realize the restaurant is only perhaps 10-20% full. At that point, I realized that they wanted us to browse the gift shop and buy stuff and it worked!
We had a chicken pot pie and a fried chicken platter. I must say the fried chicken was tasty and crispy. The pot pie isn't my kind of thing, but she enjoyed it.
Service was good, but it should be in a fairly empty restaurant.
If I am ever in town again, I'd probably try a new place just for the sake of trying something new, but wouldn't mind going back to Plain and Fancy.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Jennifer B, Director of Sales at Plain & Fancy, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Thank you for reviewing your recent dining experience. I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed our fried chicken and that your table service was prompt and friendly. Restaurant staffing can be a tricky thing, and we base staffing levels on anticipated guest counts, meaning that we don't always have the entire restaurant open for seating. I'm sorry that you had to wait to be seated, but hope that you were able to enjoy our gardens, farm animals, and gift shop while waiting. For future reference, we do take reservations, which would eliminate any significant wait time for your party to be seated. Thank you again for sharing your comments, and I hope that you will choose Plain & Fancy Farm again on a future visit.

Bellport, New York
“Food still good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

My family and I went to Plain & Fancy with a reservation for 6 P.M. We didn’t get seated until almost 7. Of course they have you waiting in the area of their gift shop. It wasn’t easy keeping 2 babies under the age of two from running around. The problem was they don’t have enough staff for the tables. There were plenty of open tables. Once we were seated everything was fine. They still have awesome fried chicken, buttered noodles and dried corn. Dessert was disappointing. The shoo fly pie was awful and I was looking forward to it. The consistency was loose and not sweet like good molasses. I’m Not saying don’t go, just be prepared to wait. The price for what you get (as much as you want) is very good. Regular price is $19.95 for family style. You can print $3 off coupons. They also have a regular menu.

Argyle, Texas
“Fried chicken!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

The noodles were not as good as those we had at the now closed Stoltzfus Farm restaurant but the chicken was divine! If you're at the Amish Experience and you like fried chicken, you'll be happy here.

Upper Darby, Pennsylvania
“Very Disappointing !”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

We decided to dine family style . Not a very good choice. Food selecton was very limited and served cold. Our waitress was never to be found. The price 20.00 adults and 10.00 children soda's extra add tax and gratituty this place is not for families. You will leave hungry

Visited May 2013
Jennifer B, Director of Sales at Plain & Fancy, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I'm sorry to hear that you were dissatisfied with your recent dining experience. Our Amish Farm Feast, served family-style, is a set menu of traditional PA Dutch foods featuring unlimited starters, entrees, sides, desserts, and standard beverages. I apologize that you didn't enjoy the selection, and I'm terribly sorry that any of the items were served cold. I have shared your comments with the restaurant manager. Again, I'm so sorry that you were displeased.
New Jersey
“Family Feast!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

Three families went to the all you can eat, family style service at Plain and Fancy. This was a repeat visit for me, and it was as good as I remembered. Friendly, attentive service, with an abundance of food to meet everyone's tastes. We had three meats, two salads, heavenly rolls and countless sides and veggies, as well as an array of delicious desserts. Loved the dried sweet corn, which wasn't very visually appealing but was excellent. Universal favorite was the chicken pot pie, Amish-style, no crust but noodles that must have been made by the angels! Delicious meal, excellent value, our party of 11, all ages, were all happy with this choice. Can't wait to go back!

• Visited May 2013