“Nice family restaurant”
Review of Bird-in-Hand Stage

Bird-in-Hand Stage
More attraction details
Owner description: The house lights dim... A hush settles over the audience in this Lancaster theatre... When the cast steps on stage, you're in for a treat. Our Bird-in-Hand Stage offers exceptional entertainment including musical theatre and magic shows. It's an intimate theatrical experience that keeps Guests coming back. Presented in conjunction with Blue Gate Musicals, relevant and meaningful Broadway-style musicals from Amish Country have made our stage one of Lancaster County's must-see stops for live performances. In 2017, we are thrilled to welcome back the illusions of Brett A. Myers and to present the new musical Mennonite Girls Can Cook. So escape your everyday world for a little while and enjoy our live stage shows. You'll find yourself laughing, holding your breath, gasping, tapping your toes - uplifted and fully entertained. To enhance your Amish Country theatre experience, come early or stay after the show to taste the bounty of our table. Enjoy a meal at our Bird-in-Hand Family Restaurant & Smorgasbord or grab lighter fare at the nearby Bird-in-Hand Bakery & Cafe. And if you're not in a hurry to head home, we offer several options for lodging. We invite you to stay and experience Smucker family hospitality. You'll find even more reasons to applaud!
New York City, New York
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Nice family restaurant”
Reviewed November 26, 2012

My spouse and kids enjoyed the food very much. I am mostly vegetarian/vegan and chose the salad/soup bar. I enjoyed the corn nuggets very much.

Visited November 2012

Suburban Philadephia
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Talented Cast”
Reviewed November 6, 2012 via mobile

After seeing an ad for this play/musical while in Lancaster a few months ago, made me want to see it.
Not familiar with the series of books it was based on, I got them out of the library and enjoyed them so decided to see the production. We just got tickets to the show, not the meal. We did meet at and eat at the restaurant. 2 of us got the buffet and it was good. The Hot bacon dressing very good. One of us ordered off the menu, a nice option if you don't want to eat lots.
The theatre as others have mentioned is less than ideal. We were seated toward the back and my friend, who is short, had a hard time seeing the stage and left at intermission.
The acting was very good.
The storyline had a lot of material (3 books worth) to cover, hence the 3 hrs length. Was disappointed in some of the comedic lines they added. Songs were good.
All in all it was a fun day and value for the dollar was good, but not sure Ill rush back.

Lititz, Pennsylvania
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Sehr Gut!!”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

The stage production showing the struggles of an adopted Amish girl was intriguing and for a small stage very well done

Visited August 2012
Carlisle, Pennsylvania
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Good food, interesting musical.”
Reviewed October 11, 2012

I went with a small group of women. The restaurant was very crowded. I don't know if this was due to its being Columbus Day or is normal? Most of the food was excellent. Some was too salty to eat. We arrived at eleven, knowing the drama was at one. Seating opened at 12:30. One of our number uses a cane, and the location of the theater was downstairs. The elevator goes from the dining floor to the theater. That is great. But the entrance/exit is on a level in between those two floors. If we had a wheelchair, we would have to wheel the person back through the restaurant to get to a door without steps.
The drama/musical, The Confession", was very good. It was also very complex, as they tried to put five or four books into one story. That meant lots of twists and turns in the plot. The dramatic performances were great, and there was a lot of humor. The trio by the three women just blew us away. It was long, a good three hours.
The seating was not great. Our row was elevated up by only a few inches. Two very tall people three rows ahead of us blocked a whole portion of the stage from my view. The room is long and narrow, and there is seating on one side of the stage as well. The stage has to be higher so that people could actually see the actors.
The site also boasts a store, and the town looked interesting. We had planned to shop afterwards, but when we got out, it was so late, we had to head home.
As someone who is acquainted with Amish, I found that the loose interpretation of "Amish" made me a bit angry. What Amish woman has a satin nightgown? The head coverings were a ridiculous shape. It seems weird that in the midst of Lancaster Amish, there would be so many inaccuracies.
Still, we did enjoy the food, and the musical, which is why I gave it three stars. That said, for the price, i would not go again.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank mbabe58
Cherry Hill, NJ
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Overlong musical in an untheatrical space”
Reviewed September 9, 2012

I looked forward to seeing this as I'm a fan of all kinds of theater and a supporter of local productions. I had just come from seeing "Plain and Fancy" at Amish Acres in Indiana and was genuinely surprised by that production, so why not another Amish musical? Well, first of all, there is reserved seating but it's done at random. If you're not with a tour, you're probably sitting in the back. I was in the last row. No choice there. You buy your ticket and pray management gives you a good seat. Not likely if you're not with a group. I'm 36 and I was the youngest person in the audience by half my age.

The show is performed in a rectangular meeting space. Everyone sits in convention chairs. Fortunately, the stage is a few feet higher than the floor. Unfortunately, the ceiling is so low the tallest actor was scraping his head against the cork tile (not literally but it looks uncomfortable for the performers). And sitting in the back, when the actors danced you can't see their feet.

As for the show, it's in rough shape. The first act is two hours. You read that right. TWO hours. With an intermission and another hour to go. That's a three and a half hour show with a tepid introduction and a raffle included. All on uncomfortable convention seats. If that's your idea of theater, then this place is for you. It's not mine.

The performers sang very well. The acting? Not so much. The songs are pretty decent but how many ballads can you put in a row? If youre The Confession, why not three? The story is well intentioned but strains incredulity. The plot pivots on an imposter pretending to be Amish but it is written and performed so broadly it takes away from our sympathy for the characters. I mean, what idiot would fall for this? It made me hate the characters.

I admire and respect the effort to bring theater here. The show needs a theater doctor to trim the show and pick up the pace. Light entertainment like this needs to be two hours tops, not three and a half. I like broad light theater. And right now its the only game in town. If I had the money I'd bring Plain and Fancy and open it across the street just so audiences can see what a light fun Amish musical can be.

I'd also make sure the ceiling was high enough.

Visited September 2012