“Good accommodations.”

Bird-In-Hand Family Inn
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Bird in Hand
Reviewed April 16, 2014

I have been staying at the Bird-in-Hand Family Inn for many years. I've watched it grow from a small family-owned motel to a huge complex. The accommodations are always good; the rooms are clean and in good working order. The property itself is very nice with a large swimming pool, mini-golf course, petting zoo, and a next-door restaurant with excellent food. The property is also right next door to a large Farmer's Market (within walking distance) and nearby to many of the Pennsylvania Dutch attractions of Lancaster County. The staff is very nice and always seems to be smiling and friendly.

Negatives: several negatives keep this from being an excellent review. First of all, and most annoying in this age, the W-Fi signal is unreliable and spotty at best. One would think with all the upgrades that have been made to this property, a good Wi-Fi signal throughout the property would be a priority. Second, I have always found the mattresses hard and difficult to sleep on. I never really feel rested after a night's sleep. Third, the heating systems. At least in the rooms that I have stayed, they are annoyingly loud and seemingly unreliable at best.

I wish that I could give this property an excellent rating; I would like to. Unfortunately with the negatives listed above, the best I can do is "very good".

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed April 13, 2014

I was here for three nights and found the place and people to be very nice. Location was excellent for visiting the surrounding area. I was in the "front" building which is good if you simply want to drive up to your room. There is another building in back that is two floors and has an indoor pool.

I booked their package which included a few meals. There are other amenities such as a free shoofly pie and $10 discount at one of their other venues.

The Bird-in-Hand Corporation owns several different local businesses (lodging, bakery, souvenir shop, campground) and because the inn was next to their restaurant, my meals were a breeze. There was also an adjacent theater as well. Definitely recommend the property.

It is on Route 340 which is a little busy but the road noise wasn't too bad so as to be an annoyance - even though the rooms face the road.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed April 6, 2014

The rooms are comfortable and clean. There is a refrigerator in each room. Ask about breakfast and dinner package at their restaurant. Centrally located. Indoor pool and huge lobby where people gather.

Room Tip: There is an elevator so all rooms are easily available. The pool is in the middle of the building.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Alicia A, Guest Relations Manager at Bird-In-Hand Family Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2014

We’re delighted you enjoyed your stay. Come see us again soon.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

After reading many reviews I decided that this would be a good hotel for my family to stay at. We were in town to visit Dutch wonderland and we spent 2 nights.
We had a motel style room which I knew was one of their cheaper rooms but I figured great reviews meant all rooms should be at least good. Wrong! The room was small compared to average hotel rooms. It looked like it hadn't been updated since the eighties, hunter green and maroon everywhere. Cheap feeling sheets too.
The pools were ok. The walk in pool was good for my young kids. The petting zoo was a few fenced in animals that walked up to the fence, not a petting zoo. The mini golf was expensive so we didn't do that. I feel like we should have gotten a coupon or something bc we were staying there. The playground was nice but very close to the busy parking lot. I will review the restaurant separately, but that too was a disappointment. I spent $129 a night. Even if it was half that I wouldn't go back. Very disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2013
4  Thank Jessica B
Alicia A, Guest Relations Manager at Bird-In-Hand Family Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2014

Oh, my. We try to create vacations that are full of happy surprises, not the ones you described. We truly are sorry you were disappointed. Our complimentary, two-hour Amish farmland tours, the hot air balloons taking off in the field across from our inn, the free petting zoo and buggies clip-clopping along the road make a Bird-in-Hand Family Inn stay like no other. The pools are also hits with families, so we’re glad to hear you were able to use them. Our front building rooms are our smallest and priced accordingly. They are slated for upgrades.

Reviewed March 3, 2014

We stayed for one night at the Bird-in-Hand Family Inn. We had rooms in the front section that I think are the original rooms at the Inn. The back section looks newer. Never the less our room was fine. It is a typical motel room. It was clean and tidy. Slept well on the bed. We traveled with another couple so we ask for and they gave us adjoining rooms. This turned out to be really nice since that night it poured cats and dogs so we ordered Pizza in and played cards until the rain stopped. The staff was friendly and helpful. We had tickets for the show at the Bird-in-Hand Family Restaurant Stage next door so this was a very convenient place to stay.
Would stay there again when in the area. Lots to do close by.

Room Tip: We didn't stay in the "back" rooms but they do look newer and more modern. But the fr...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank welikepalms
Reviewed February 24, 2014

Stayed here for a winter special in early February as we are VIP members. Room was very clean though tight for three people. We did stay in the front building which is the original part of the inn. We were there for four days so the small room wasn't too hard to deal with. We did not have any of the issues we had in the past. See past reviews. They still have you sign towels out at the pool but at least they were available this time although I brought our own in case we needed to be prepared. The restaurant also redeemed itself. I don't know if because it was the off season and there were no theater goers to cater to but the food off the menu was like it had been in the past. I know my husband has plenty of fond memories from staying here when he was a child so I was willing to give it another try and was glad I did. I just hope and pray that things don't change for the worse during the peak seasons. Overall, we would come back again.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Audra C
Reviewed February 11, 2014

I have reviewed the Bird In Hand Family Inn a couple of times in the last few years. My wife,myself and family have been guests here for going on thirty two years now. This family oriented inn exudes warmth and hospitality. We were here the last week in January and upon arrival at 10:40PM there was a mix up with our room. We were immediately upgraded to a two room suite that was just beautiful. This property is immaculate with everything you need for a relaxing family vacation. On property you will find one outdoor pool, two heated indoor pools, hot tub, petting zoo, tennis,playground, game room, excersis room and excellent Amish style restaurant. The rooms here are always very comfortable with great beds, showers and tubs that don't run cold in the middle of use, great working tv and internet. The Smucker family who are the owners of this marvelous hotel are extremely charitable in the local area and to repeat guests that support their business. During the catastrophe of Hurricane Sandy on the east coast these wonderful people extended there inn to those affected by the damage of this super storm. Where do you find such warm and caring people anymore? If you have not been to the Bird In Hand Family Inn you are missing the true feel of lancaster County.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank amishboy
Alicia A, Guest Relations Manager at Bird-In-Hand Family Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2014

We’re humbled by your review. This is exactly what we aim to be. Thank you for sharing your story and for allowing us to be a part of it.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bird in Hand
AmishView Inn & Suites
AmishView Inn & Suites
#1 of 3 in Bird in Hand
Fulton Steamboat Inn
Fulton Steamboat Inn
#1 of 40 in Lancaster
Eden Resort and Suites, BW Premier Collection
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Lancaster (Amish Country)
Best Western Plus Intercourse Village Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn Lancaster - Rockvale Outlets

Been to Bird-In-Hand Family Inn? Share your experiences!