“Not wonderful”

Birchrunville Store Cafe
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Went with 2 other couples on a Friday nite. My grouper topped with shrimp was overcooked, and the presentation was extremely bland. My husband had veal tenderloin and it was grizzly. Service was very pleasant. We had been there before, and really liked it. One of our friends had kangaroo and really liked it.

Reviewed March 7, 2014

I'm still relishing our dinner from last night. Our first time to this restaurant and it will not be our last. The food was so fresh and flavorful-but not fru fru. The restaurant is quintessential of the area and is relaxed and cozy, not uptight. We had the butternut squash soup, goat cheese croquet arugula salad with dried blueberries (the best ever), group beurre blanc with scallops (a wonderful blend of textures and flavors), filet with mushroom crepe, butterscotch cake and coconut cheesecake for dessert. Everything was delicious and worth every penny (our bill came to around 116.00 with tax). I love that it is BYOB and the service is impeccable. We plan to go back-very soon! Make your reservation well in advance and bring a cash or check.

Reviewed January 12, 2014

I made our Friday night reservation over 2 months ago and was eagerly anticipating this dinner event based on all of the stellar reviews. The cafe has an excellent ambiance although we were seated next to very drafty windows and it took awhile to warm up. The service was fine although they were very busy this night and certain things (ground black pepper for salad, check on food prep, etc) was not offered and I didn't see the server again in ample time to make a request.. I ordered the beet salad for first course and it was good, but nothing special. The Ahi tuna and soft shell crab entree was very disappointing as both items were overdone. My husband enjoyed the pepper crusted ribeye although scraped off a lot of the crust/char. The dessert menu looked very good but we did not sample. It may be worth another try but I may opt for a weekday and hopefully the food prep and service lives up to the reviews set by other diners.

Reviewed November 25, 2013

We just enjoyed one of the most delicious meals we've eaten in quite a while. I had the special salad which had pumpkin (which was really good) with a yummy dressing. My partner had the mushroom lasagna and raved. My venison we perfectly done with a wonderful compliment of blue or boysenberry compote and sweet potatoes. My partner had the Bronzino and it was beautifully cooked and presented. Finally, desert of carmel cake and molten chocolate yumminess was divine. The service was attentive, knowledgeable, and friendly. If only reservations we're so hard to get, I'd eat there every day!l If you can get a spot, don't miss it. It's worth the trek to the country!!

1  Thank Escapists2
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Another visit to the Birchrunville Store Cafe, another wonderful meal, more wonderful service!
Each time we go we're impressed by the excellence of this place. It's no wonder it's so hard to get reservations.
This time I had my favorite appetizer---mushroom lasagna, my husband had butternut squash bisque, and my son a salad---but all salads there are special.
Mains were fish, steak, and lamb---all super great. Even the bread is especially delicious. And we finished up with a pumpkin cheesecake, molten chocolate cake, and apple crepe.
What more can be said---everything was perfect.
And, it's a BYOB!