“Hot, fast, and good breakfast”

Trainer's Midway Diner
Ranked #3 of 3 Restaurants in Bethel
Cuisines: American, Diner, Grill
Annandale, New Jersey
“Hot, fast, and good breakfast”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Returning from a trip to western Pennsylvania we stopped at the Midway diner for breakfast. This is the kind of place the waitress calls you "Hon" and brings an extra teabag for your second cup. The food was quick, hot, and very good. The waitress was attentive and nobody waited for their cofee cups to be refreshed. The price was great - definitely not Jersey prices!

We'll make it a point to stop here again when we are in the area.

• Visited January 2013

Northern Virginia, USA
“A Disappointing Blast From the Past”
Reviewed November 29, 2012

We were a family passing through PA the day before Thanksgiving, and needed a fairly late dinner for the family. We had a few options in this part of the state, but I don't think I made the best choice.

As others have noted, eating at the Midway Diner feels like you've time-tunneled to the 1950s or possibly 1960s. Much of the decor looks original. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but here it makes the whole restaurant feel sort of dirty and run down. Missing floor tiles, dingy bathrooms, and hand-written signs that look like permanent fixtures feel more "neglected" than "quaint".

Let's get the good things out of the way first. Our waitress was great -- tolerant with my kids, and quick with the food and refills on drinks without being a pest. Also the bread basket had a great assortment of crackers, which we were enjoying the rest of our trip. The hot chocolate also got good reviews from my wife and daughter. It couldn't be more convenient -- just off the interstate.

Now to the important part -- the food. We did not share others good experience with the food here. I like comfort food, and I cook a fair amount of it too, so it wasn't the menu that I had a problem with. The problem was in how it was executed -- usually badly, by somebody who either didn't know how to cook or just didn't care. My wife's oyster stew was a few unidentifiable oysters floating in a bowl of hot milk (the onion and celery most people include were absent). My daughter tried a chicken rice soup that also went mostly uneaten, even by my wife after she abandoned the oyster stew. My smoked sausage platter had two small pieces of so-so sausage, a spoonful of mashed potatoes and a tiny cup of horseradish. I'm originally from NJ, and I've eaten at a lot of diners, and I'm not used to leaving hungry -- but I did this time. My son's hamburger and fries were OK, but no better than he would get at most fast food places. In fact, that could pretty much be said for the whole meal here. It wasn't even particularly cheap -- no less than what we pay at lower-end "family dining" chains or independent places. You just got less food, and what you did get was worse.

Overall, a disappointment and an embarrassment -- too many like this and my family is going to revoke my restaurant-choosing credentials.

• Visited November 2012
Hampton, Virginia, United States
“Nostalgic dining!!”
Reviewed April 18, 2012

Their sauteed feta and spinach pierogies were the best I've ever had at any restaurant. Oh yea, the pies and cakes are all "homemade" and the coconut cream pie was my choice - MUAH, delic!!

Visited April 2012
3 Thank Carmen7986
St. Petersburg, Florida
“Cheap, Good and Clean”
Reviewed April 3, 2012

Comfort food served quickly, friendly service, nice background music - opens at 4am and closes at 11pm - very convenient off route 78

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank Cyndi D
California
“Good Food and comfortable Diner”
Reviewed March 8, 2012

Good Food at Reasonable prices. Very good location we could walk from the Motel.

Visited March 2012