“disapointed”

Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Bensalem
Cincinnati, Ohio
“disapointed”
Reviewed April 24, 2012

after seeing this place on the list of romantic winners i had high expectations but was very disapointed by the location and qualtity of the rooms, all services were expensive and not readily avalible

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Management_dove, Manager at Inn of the Dove - Bensalem, responded to this review, April 29, 2012
We are very sorry that this guest was disappointed with their stay and apologize for any concerns that this guest may have had. Our hotel offers to our guest many free amenities such as, complementary wet-bar with sodas, water and snacks, free Wi-Fi, Free Cable, HBO and Adult Channels and a complementary fire log for every night that the guest stays. However, we do have specialty packages that are at an additional charge that we set the room up with such as our Wedding Package, Birthday Packages, and Anniversary Packages along with many other types of packages with Rose Petals and candles, Dinner Packages etc… All of these specialty packages are at an additional charge but also very reasonable and very popular to many of our guests.

Diana
Inn of the Dove
Asst. Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
branchburg, nj
Reviewed April 22, 2012

I was looking for a nice getaway for my husband's birthday. I logged on to TripAdvisor and saw that Inn of the Dove was in the top 10 in the country and just about an hour away. (We live in Central NJ.) We got in the car, but I didn't tell him where we were going. I entered the room first, hoping it was as nice as the pictures - but it was even nicer! We settled in, spent a few hours at Parx Casino, and later enjoyed all the amenities of the room - whirlpool, two-person shower, etc. The BEST part of all is that, when I woke up the next morning, I had absolutely no back pain at all - first time in 20 years! I decided that I absolutely needed to get that mattress for our bed at home. I contacted Raj, the General Manager. He told me that, though the mattress is only available to hotels, he would order it for me. He was always pleasant to deal with, and really went above and beyond to make me happy! Can't wait to come back and stay at The Inn - I am REALLY dreaming of booking the swimming pool room next time! :-))

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nancy a
Staten Island, New York
Reviewed April 16, 2012

I've been looking for a romantic getaway that wasn't too far from NYC and was more of a separate villa than an actual hotel room. I've been to the Poconos - Palace Resort (see my review) twice before and almost booked it for a third time but spending $1000 (without the previous applied discount) for a two night stay was asking too much for the quality it provides. I wanted a secluded room that included a whirlpool, large bed, tv and mirrors but didn't care for breakfast and dinner package and entertainment. So when I saw that The Inn of the Dove was voted #3 on the Best Romantic places in the US (voted by tripadvisor members like me) I jumped at the chance. Not only did it have all the room requirements that I was seeking but it was a mere 63 miles away from my house with a moderate price tag of $200+tax for the Honeymoon Suite. Here's a breakdown:

Stayed:
April 14th - Saturday

Front Desk:
Mentioned anniversary on on-line booking. They provided a bottle of champagne which they forgot to give us but called us once we got to the room and told us we had an extra hour for check out since we had to go back for the bottle. Glasses and ice bucket where in the room.
Rep was a bit loud but friendly.
Lobby was uninviting, cheap looking.
Ice machine located on the side of the building.
Free log given to you at check in.

Appearance:
We had room #127 - Honeymoon Suite
Nice, private cottages
Unimpressive landscape - yellow (weed) flowers everywhere

Attractions:
Lots of restaurants nearby
Parx Casino down the road

Positives:
Large TV flatscreen with plenty of channels including adult channels (early 1990's with extreme close-ups. Not for the faint of heart)
Clean whirlpool - gleaming clean. The only thing that appeared to have been thoroughly cleaned.
King size soft bed however, it sank in the middle.
Snacks included 2 packages of cookies and 4 cans of soda (3 pepsi and sprite)

Negatives:
I wasn't expecting 5 star hotel quality but general upkeep (clean bedding, bathrooms, remotes, wetbar) should be a given. Door handle to bathroom and microwave had some gunk. Bedskirt had stains (see pic), basket and candlesticks tarnished, worn, full of scum. Painting was done fast and messy. Mirrors had paint on them. Pillows were falling apart. Simple things that can be easily maintained when they aren't, it makes the whole experience less enjoyable.
The smell. I couldn't get over the 'wet cat' smell in the room. The room does have carpeting especially to and from the whirlpool. But I just didn't expect it to smell so bad. Since we were just spending one night there and where in the room for just 10 hours or so, I didn't want to go through the hassle of informing the front desk/swtching rooms.
When leaving the room, the door did not lock. I wasn't sure if the lock just malfunction of it was like that when we left the room that night. Please make sure door locks behind you.

Overall:
I'm all about second chances. It wasn't a complete horrible experience (customer service was genuine and affective/ secluded private rooms) that would stop me from going back. It is just an hour away with all the amenities that I was looking for and reasonaby priced. But general cleanliness is so important especially when it's for a 'romantic' escape.

Room Tip: Mention if you are celebrating a special occassion as they do read special requests/comments.
7 Thank Yess22
Management_dove, General Manager at Inn of the Dove - Bensalem, responded to this review, April 20, 2012
We would first like to thank this guest for their feedback. We really do like these kinds of reviews because it helps us improve our overall quality such as housekeeping, maintenance, front desk, ect.. At the Inn of the Dove, Bensalem, we do have high standards on cleanliness and we apologize that during a inspection by management that we missed these items. We can assure you that these problems will never happen again. Our hotel assigns two housekeepers per suite unlike some other hotels in the area that only have one per room. That still is not a reason why this little mishap has happened. Our housekeepers use very specific chemicals that are designed and made especially for hotels from the Eco Lab Company. At our hotel we do not allow pets on the property and especially on the rooms, we have never had any issues in reference to this problem. In reference to our landscape, we have a landscaping company that comes out to our property every week but it too early for some of our flowers to bloom and the weird weather we have been having doesn’t help either but this is something that we are working on. We do hope that this guest does come back to our hotel so we can show them why we are #3 for Most Romantic. We will do everything we can to make sure all of our guests are happy and relaxed. If there is any problem that a guest may have we do have staff on site 24 hours a day to help with anything that the guest may need. We just want to thank this guest again for their stay and hope to see them back very soon again.
Philadelphia
Reviewed April 16, 2012

Stayed in the pool room. Was everything that I expected and more. Very clean room & pool front desk very polite. No problems didn't want to leave.

Trevose, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed April 13, 2012

Me and my Boyfriend came here for my Birthday, We had the Sweetheart room... I was pleased by the appearance of the room and it was clean for the most part. There were some stains on the footrest of the bed... the origin of which I can only guess by the looks of it.... The jacuzzi jets were a little weak.... but it was very relaxing. We are going to try the Pool room next....

1 Thank Ann G
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed April 8, 2012

our room was not what we paid for ,The whrilpool did not work and when we called the front desk they said it would be fixed the next day ,so we went to breakfast and when we came back they told us we had to switch rooms and when we got to our room the door was wide open to anyone to walk in and whatever they wanted. Also when we get to our new room it didn't hsve a place to put our clothes away and it didn't have a radio it wasn't very clean . and the only thing they offer us was we could check out two hours later ,but we were so dissapointed that we left before check out .we were not happy at all worst three days ever.

3 Thank Raymond H
Management_dove, General Manager at Inn of the Dove - Bensalem, responded to this review, April 12, 2012
We would like to first thank this guest for booking their stay with us. We do apologize for the inconvenience that this guest had to go through. We try to do everything that we can to make sure that all of our guests are being taken care of. The issue that this guest had ran into was that the motor to the Jacuzzi had burn up due to the motor being run without the water being inside. We had to replace the motor and that resulted to us needed to order the part, we did not want to keep this guest in a room that was not up to our standards so we did ask this guest to move to a much more suitable room that have meet our standards. We apologize to this guest in reference to the door being open, management was aware of this incident and it was due to the management checking to make sure everything was clean and good to go and from the housekeepers putting roses and chocolates on the bed for them. They left it open only for a minute as the guest came from the front desk to move to the new room they thought it was easy for them to move their belongings. We do apologize and we are aware that not all of the suites have the built in radios, but our front desk did go to the guest’s room and gave them a radio. We do keep extra radios for the guests that do not have the built in ones in the suites. We are in the process of getting all the suites the built in the radio. We hope to see this guest back for another stay so we can show them a luxury and stress free stay.
Langhorne, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 29, 2012

Before we booked ,we checked the review of this Hotel.This hotel Ranked No. 3 Hotel In Romance In the U.S.We enjoyed our peaceful moments together in the Blue romantic suite.The dim blue lights and the fire place added a special ambiance.It was so romantic that I felt like it was truly our Honeymoon.The room was wonderful,so clean and comforting.I did not know what to expect and was a little worriedt o be honest but when the door opened ,we were both taken aback by how nice it really was.That's true this is the Hotel perfect for romantic couples.Would love to return and visit a new suite.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank michelle k
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bensalem
Hampton Inn & Suites Philadelphia/Bensalem
Radisson Hotel Valley Forge
#5 of 16 in King of Prussia
Courtyard Philadelphia Bensalem
Radisson Hotel Philadelphia Northeast

Been to Inn of the Dove - Bensalem? Share your experiences!