“Disappointing Dump”

Best Western Plus Philadelphia Bensalem Hotel
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Bensalem
Reviewed August 23, 2012

I would never stay at this hotel again. It is disgusting. Like other reviewers said, there is a horriblepine-sol odor and our carpet was also wet. The pine-sol odor was stronger after housekeeping cleaned the room and the carpet was wet again. They may have been spraying something on the carpet to get rid of the smell. There were huge red stains on the carpet next to the bed. The fixtures in the bathroom were rusty and the toilet was constantly running. There was a disconcerting brochure in the bathroom outlining charges for stealing the linens (with spelling errors on it). The fridge in the room was extremely loud. The highlight for my two young daughters was the drunk man lying outside the lobby when we were checking in. Horrible place to stay.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank jlred
Jgrillone, Manager at Best Western Plus Philadelphia Bensalem Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2012

Thank you for your review. I'm sorry to hear about the bad experience you incurred while staying with us. Our rooms are cleaned to the Holiday Inn Standard, with the standard cleaning supplies. We do have an outside company come in once a month to shampoo our carpets, but unfortunately, when we have high occupancy it is not always possible to get every room each time they come out. We provide a list of room amenities with the pricing due to the high volume of inquiries we receive about purchasing our linens. We do this in order to make things easier for our guests. Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

I'm not one to complain about the little things like some people that do reviews here: hair in the bathtub, dust on desk etc. But there was definitely something strange with this holiday inn. My family and I stayed here for a trip to Sesame Place. The main part of the hotel seems to have been recently renovated and looks nice. The room itself was clean the AC and everything else seemed to be in working order. The pillows on the bed are small (square not rectangular) and the TV picture quality was bad but other than that everything seemed fine. My issue with the room and the reason I would not stay here again is that the carpet in the room had a distinctive wet feeling to it. My wife and I wore shoes in the room it was so uncomfortable. After being in the room a few minutes the front desk called to see how things were and I mentioned that the carpet was wet. They sent someone from maintenance who provided no real answers but they ended up moving us to another room. The carpet in the new room was not as wet but it still felt damp. My Mother and sister in law also had rooms and their carpets felt damp too. In bare feet or socks it was not a pleasant feeling to walk on the carpet. All of the rooms we were in were on the ground floor; don't know if the 2nd story was different. It's almost like the hotel needs a de-humidifier. I would not stay at this hotel again because of that feeling with the carpets.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank howitzer

Thank you for your review, we always like to hear our guests feedback. I'm sorry to hear you had the issue with the carpets. Unfortunately, when the air conditioners in the rooms are kept on for long periods of time, and set to a very cold setting they do freeze and that may be the reasoning behind the wet carpet. Unfortunately, this is something that happens naturally during the summer and is out of the hotels control, but once it is brought to our attention we do take care of the situation. Thank you again for your review and we hope you will consider giving us a second chance in the future.

Reviewed August 18, 2012

Just stayed one night. Checked in at 1am. Very nice desk person, clean and comfortable room. Will definitely stay again - that's the best review, right? Close to everything you might want (restaurant, main roads, etc)

Room Tip: Glad it was on the first floor (as requested) because would not have wanted to climb stairs with eve...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 7, 2012

We stayed here because I didn't want to pay $200/night to stay at one of those featured hotels that Sesame Place offers - too expensive. I'm not cheap but I would rather spend a reasonable price on a hotel and then spend more at the park. Hotel was 8 easy miles to SPlace. Room was perfectly clean and I had no complaints (even my sister didn't have any complaints- and that's a surprise bcuz she always does). It's not a high end hotel but perfect for the average family. It was nice and clean, beds were comfy, it was quiet, 2 great outdoor pools (1 is a kiddie pool). It has a resturaunt/bar attached if u want to get breakfast or supper. Unfortunately they do not offer a free continential breakfast :((
Again, it's not the Ritz but it was a great buy!!!!! When we checked out, I took a business card bcuz we will stay there next year when we go back to SPLace.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank KAMou62
Jgrillone, Manager at Best Western Plus Philadelphia Bensalem Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2012

Thank you so much for your great review! We are happy that you and your family had such a good experience and would love to have you stay with us again. We look forward to seeing you again next year!

Reviewed July 31, 2012

The Holiday Inn, Bensalem has the WORST customer service I have ever encountered. My husband and I were in town for a wedding and dropped our bags on our way to a rehearsal dinner. Upon returning to the hotel after the dinner, we entered our room to find that there was a barking dog in the room next door. We asked the hotel staff if we could be moved to another room because the dog wouldn't stop barking and the owners were MIA. We were told that the only room they had available was a smoking room (to which I am allergic) so we promptly left the hotel in search of other accommodations. The Holiday Inn Manager, Danny, made me pay half of the room price, $70.00, for my 10 minutes in his hotel. He said that they have a policy and since we had dropped our bags for longer than one hour, we had to pay for the room. Talk about TERRIBLE customer service!! I had to pay for the inconvenience we were caused. I will NEVER stay at this hotel again. Warning to any potential customer: this hotel adjoins its rooms with paper thin doors. You can literally hear EVERYTHING going on in the room next to you. A friend of mine also booked at this hotel and was kept up all night by her neighboring room.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Michelle M
Jgrillone, Manager at Best Western Plus Philadelphia Bensalem Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2012

Thank you for submitting a review from your stay, we always want to hear our guests feedback. I'm sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your experience with us. Once a guest checks into a room and we show that room as occupied ,it is used in our system. I understand your frustration by saying you were only inside the room for 10 minutes, when you came back from the rehearsal dinner, but what we showed was that the room was occupied for more than a few hours. We have to go by what our records show. Danny did try to work with you and took off 1/2 of the night stay for you since you did leave early, and I'm sorry you were not happy with that.

Reviewed July 25, 2012

I had a recent weekend stay with my wife and two young children. This is the sister hotel to the Crowne Plaza a couple miles up Street Road. Overall, the hotel is clean and in good condition and the staff was friendly at checkin. The outdoor pool was fine and had some cute stuff for the kids near a small kiddie pool.

On the downside....

1. It's strange that this two-floor hotel does not have an elevator as there is clearly plenty of space to put one. This was not a big burden for us, but a bit of a hassle with bags, etc. If you have issues with steps, you will reglegated to the first floor, which seems to have a sizeable smoking section.

2. Biggest complaint would be that the double beds were on the smallest end of the range of full to queen. Actually makes a big difference for a family of four.

3. Breakfast area is way too small to accommodate peak weekend demand. We just drove off to a local diner. This hotel would absolutely benefit from an included express-breakfast format.

I agree with other comments about the strange smell of either insecticide or carpet cleaner in the hallways. Seems like a permanent issue given how many times this has been brought up.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank bmatraveler

Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate you noticing the way we keep the hotel clean and up to date. We always try to do what we can to keep the hotel fresh, since it is an older property. Since it is an older property and was built with no elevator, we do not have one. But if any guest can not go upstairs we always try to offer them the first floor or have someone help them with their bags. Our bed types do state two double beds when you book, and they are the size of a standard double. As for the breakfast, I see how guests believe it may be easier to have a free to go breakfast, but being a full service Holiday Inn we offer the full service restaurant on site. We also do have a separate room that opens in the back of the restaurant for when we do have high demand. Thank you again for your review, we like to hear all of our guests comments and opinions and always take them into consideration to make our hotel better for our guests.

Reviewed July 14, 2012

We arrived at the hotel with our reservation from hotels.com and had requested a non smoking room. They were for the most part booked but the lady at the desk went above and beyond to help us with getting a non smoking room and making sure our child had a crib even though we had brought our pack and play. I got the feeling that she really wanted to make sure we were happy with our room! :) The room we had was nice and my wife and I had for the most part no complaints. Maybe our own pillows would have been nice, but that is not the first time I have said that at a hotel so I would say that is my own fault. The staff restocked us well everyday on towels, made the beds, and I believe even picked up a few kids toys here and there. :) There is a dollar store up the road and I stocked up on plates, tongs and other stuff to use the grill located by the pool. Ribeye steaks with fresh corn from Giant hit the spot. tip They are charcoal grills so you need charcoal. :) We did get breakfast at the hotel which was good! The older lady working at the bar seemed a bit cranky and was perhaps having a bad day,.but the breakfast was good :( Pools were nice and there was little chairs for the kids which was a nice touch.:) Overall a great stay with a day at sesame with some relaxation time by the pool and grill.

Room Tip: I believe we were in an updated room.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank justintime2travel
Management response:Responded July 16, 2012

Thank you for posting a review from your stay with us. I am happy that you and your family enjoyed yourselves and we were able to accommodate you with the room you had requested. I'm glad to see you were able to relax with us, enjoy some grilled food out by the pool, and that everything was to your liking. Thank you again and if you return to this area in the future I hope you would consider us again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bensalem
Sleep Inn & Suites
Sleep Inn & Suites
#7 of 10 in Bensalem
Hampton Inn & Suites Philadelphia/Bensalem
Inn of the Dove - Bensalem
Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia NE - Bensalem
Holiday Inn Bensalem - Philadelphia Area
Radisson Hotel Philadelphia Northeast

Been to Best Western Plus Philadelphia Bensalem Hotel? Share your experiences!