“A gem in the countryside”

Elk Country Visitor Center
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Benezette
More attraction details
Owner description: The Elk Country Visitor Center is a premier location for viewing elk and other wildlife in Pennsylvania. The center offers interactive exhibits and displays and encourages a 'hands on' experience. Our 4D story theater immerses guest in the history of Pennsylvania elk and the Pennsylvania Wilds. Our gift shop sell Made in the USA product, many of those by local artisans and product makers. The best time to view is early in the morning or in the hours before dark. Elk are wild animals and you can't be promised you will see them.
Reviewed April 9, 2013

The visitor center is definite place to visit; it's well laid out, located in the most beautiful scenery, and gives you the opportunity to enjoy the majestic Elk herd which you are sure to see either there, or in close proximity to the center. On your way to or from call in at the Benezette Hotel for really good value food, including Elk burgers. (Not from the local herd I am told)

All reviews
"dawn and dusk"
"wildlife"
in 39 reviews

Reviewed February 21, 2013

this visitor center is very rustic beautiful. They have lectures on current topics happening in the surrounding area. There was a coyote lecture when i was there. . The staff/rangers were very helpful and answered all our questions. there is a nice fireplace inside with seating where we sat and discussed our plans for the day

Reviewed January 27, 2013

Every time I take someone there, they are impressed with it. I've taken people of every age. The staff is very knowledgeable and helpful. Be sure to see the movie that is shown.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

Every time we go, the elk are right there near the center. The area is so beautiful. The center is awesome. We go as often as we can.

See more reviews
Reviewed December 28, 2012

I have been visiting the elk in the Benezette area for at least 10 years (I live less than an hour away). The Elk Center and the surrounding areas (which are an excellent example of a successful private-public partnership) are just gorgeous and sorely needed for the area, which previously had a small trailer-like building, an outdoor pavillion, and an overlook. The little 4D movie (which does cost $3, but helps fund much of the operations, events, and staff you see) is cute, but just touring the center, participating in one of their many free programs, or walking around the trails should keep you busy for several hours. I recommend that you call ahead and see if they have any programs scheduled. They staff is extremely helpful and multiple times there have been no scheduled activities, but they have taken 15-20 minutes just to discuss a particular issue with me or talk to my children. They don't know just about elk, but about all of PA's native animals!

Let's me clear, this is a very small town and a cash-strapped state. This is NOT Disney. The elk are wild and not on any schedule. In the 20+ times I have been to the area, I have seen elk 90-95% of the time. But occassionally they aren't there...they have hundreds of acres to roam. If you don't see them in the vicinity of the center drive around the Winslow Hill area, explore the publicly accessible roads and keep an eye on clearing and in people's yards. Also, please feel free to have ice cream, lunch or shop at any of the little specialty places that have sprung up around the elk's presence. They will appreciate it!