“Back again at the Back Porch!”

Back Porch Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 63 Restaurants in Belle Vernon
Cuisines: American, Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Monongahela, Pennsylvania
“Back again at the Back Porch!”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

We have been coming here off and on for the last twenty years. The ambiance of the place is an old farm house, antiques, huge lit sycamore seen from route 70. It is especially nice to go around the holidays. While the menu has not changed much thru the years, we are never disappointed with what we order. For instance, my tuna coriander was delicious! The paella was a delight, with a splash of saffron...delish! One small complaint is that the service is too good in that the wait staff will sometimes leave the table for a little too long. My guess is that this will allow patrons to have dinner conversation, but in my opinion...it's sometimes too long. Wait staff should check a little more often just to insure a nice flow to our evening. It really should be up to us, as the patrons, how long we stay at this restaurant and not the wait staff.
Not that the above is a problem, but we are aware of this as we've been coming Here for years.
Honestly, our meals are always wonderful and the food, superb. The desserts are rich and extremely satisfying. The chocolate suicide cake, the almond torte, creme brulee, are only a small sampling of their desserts. They also offer some house made ice creams that are unique and tasty.
A must try for the mon valley.

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank Cachingcritics

California, Pennsylvania, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Sometimes good.”
Reviewed December 12, 2012

I have eaten at the Back Porch many times and on my most recent visit was VERY disappointed and vowed never to return. I went with a friend for a celebratory dinner. When the soup came it was not as hot as I would have liked but it was still okay so I ate it without saying anything in part because I did not wish to put a negative note on the celebration. I ordered the fish that was the special of the evening. When it arrived it was dry and leathery. The waiter went off and did not return to the table for at least 15 minutes to check if everything was alright. When he returned I had eaten about half the fish picking at the thickest part where it was at least still a little moist. He asked if there was anything we needed and I told him that the fish was dry and very diasppointing. He said he would pass on the information to the chef. He did not inform the manager or anyone else as no one came to the table to disucss my disappointment. I do not believe it was the fault of the chef but of the server who had probably left the dishes under the warming lamp and not served them when they were first up. So although my complaint is about the food it was actually the service which was lacking. I did not feel my complaint was heard or my disappointment addressed.

• Visited November 2012
Rostraver, Pennsylvania
“Quaint Restaurant”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

The Back Porch Restaurant is the best restaurant in the area. It offers excellent food with a quaint dining experience. The prices are appropriate, not cheap but not crazy expensive either. Portion sizes are on the small side but food quality never disappoints. The home made peach ice cream is a must if they have it on the desert menu.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank Jeff5180
Washington, PA
“Really good but in Speers!”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

The service and food is always great. The Cheddar Cheese Soup and the Lobster Bisue are must try's on the menu. A handy tip is that the lower (basement) level is a little more casual, but with the same food and menu.

• Visited December 2012
Pittsburgh
“Worth a drive”
Reviewed December 7, 2012

I live less than a mile away and eat here at least 6 times a year but if you are not familiar with this place it is worth the drive. The menu changes seasonally and always has some new special to spark my interest. The wine list is good but not spectacular but it is very complimentary to the menu. The lobster bisque is a favorite starter, the fish is good and the steaks are excellent. The rooms on the main floor and upstairs are very nice and you dont feel hemmed in. The Side Door entrance leads to the lower level bar and a few tables. I have eaten down there a few times and rarely is there more than a few couples at the bar waiting for their table, but the ceiling highth and close table are a little clastrophobic. I have never had a bad server here and most treat you like they have known you forever. I frequent Pittsburgh for dinner nights out but everytime I goto the Back Porch I wonder why I dont come here more often.

Visited November 2012