“Great Place! Good Food! Nice Atmosphere!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Sonny's Grille

Sonny's Grille
Ranked #5 of 63 Restaurants in Belle Vernon
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget, Bar scene
“Great Place! Good Food! Nice Atmosphere!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2014

This is really a nice little place, this is my 4 visit do not know why I did not review earlier, my apologies. The food is good and priced right, There zucchini basket on of the best I've eaten and I have eaten some great ones. Today I had the Italian hoagie was really filled with meat and a great tasting sandwich, it came with choice of side i took the homemade potato chips they are really good to. My wife had the crab cakes (1) with little baked potatoes salted and with garlic was really tasty. I have never had anything bad here and I don't think you will either. They have a great little bar, and outside seating.
So what are you waiting for get to Sonny's now.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Harpo330

Baltimore, Maryland
“Excellent corned beef and french fry sandwich”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2014

it's just outside of Pittsburgh. Great corned beef/french fry/cole slaw on grilled rye. Delicious sandwich. Nice beers. Very reasonably priced. Steeler country. So don't wear your Ravens gear.

• Visited April 2014
Pataskala
“Long wait but friendly”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I had dinner here on Aug. 26. I'd checked the Trip Advisor's reviews but not the one for Sonny's. However, this place was recommended by the desk clerk at the Hampton Inn, and also by a hotel guest sitting within earshot.

It wasn't even 5 minutes away. We could have walked. When we arrived, there was a large fake palm tree, and a big outdoor deck with torch burners which were lit around the deck.

We sat inside, got the last available table. Sarah was our server, tanned and perky, quick to bring us a menu and to take our order, and she was very friendly.

Our side salads arrived quickly. Romaine lettuce, croutons and one small slice of red tomato for around $3.50. Ingredients were fresh, but seemed a sad salad with not much in it. Still, it was nutritional lettuce!

My husband order a calzone from the specials sheet. After a long time, I decided on the buffalo wings (8 to an order). The calzone was large and filled with Italian sausage, pepperoni and ham with some mozzarella cheese. I didn't taste it, but my husband said it was good. Good dough. I did taste the red sauce served on the side. There was a heavy hand on the oregano that might be too heavy for some, but it might be needed to stand up to the meats in the calzone.

I enjoyed my chicken wings. They are deep fried without breading and crispy. The buffalo sauce is homemade, spicy and hot, and it had a great flavor.

The main problem - and we didn't complain - was the amount of time we waited between our salads and our main courses. Our server actually approached us to apologize saying it wasn't her fault, that the kitchen was a mess. She said she would talk to her manager about a discount on our meals or a gift card. I said we didn't live nearby so a gift card wasn't a good option for us. In the end, we were in the restaurant for 2 hours, most of it waiting, and the price of one draft Yuengling was deducted from our bill.

There's a comfortable feel to this place, and if I lived nearby, I would try it again, but beware that you might have a long wait.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Debra D
Maui, Hawaii
“Bar food with a kick!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

Zucchini planks are worth a try for an appetizer. The mushroom burger is "Large" and tasty. One of our party enjoyed the ribs and was very happy. An 8oz sirloin steak with blue cheese was full of gristle and fat. The deck seating was good if you smoke, but for non-smokers check the wind and your seating to smokers.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank RE M
Earth
“Locally Owned, Big Outside Deck, Ethnic Specials”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

Belle Vernon is a sleepy outpost on the western edge of Pennsylvania. What surprised us most on exiting Route 70 was the huge number of national franchises represented in the dining community. Practically every brand name food outlet had a Belle Vernon address.

In the sea of franchises that define Belle Vernon, Sonny's Grille is an oasis standing oddly alone in the middle of a huge parking lot. Favored by locals, Sonny's features a huge outdoor deck, a very large bar and a smallish dark dining room. On a recent evening, the deck was packed and the small dining room was filled to capacity though plenty of seating remained in the huge bar area.

At first blush, the menu items seem very familiar though the daily specials screamed of Pittsburgh's famous Polish neighborhoods. The kitchen, however, is clearly in control and manages to put its own special twist on the surprisingly excellent food. The pieroggi featured on a couple of specials were clearly home made and very good served with sauteed onions, kielbasa and garlic bread, a very filling, delicious and calorie laden entree for under $10. The other entrees far exceeded their menu description. One item which appeared out of the norm were the very expensive crab cakes which we opted not to try. Based on the price and quality of food we experienced, my hunch would be that these crab cakes would also be pretty tasty.

The clientele was a very friendly, local group of folks who clearly were repeat customers. Service was what one would expect in this very rural area.

All in all, a terrific stop to break up a monotonous drive. Highly recommended.

• Visited June 2013