“World Class”

Omni Bedford Springs Resort
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Bedford
Reviewed August 21, 2010

I travel a great deal and read trip advisor regularly, but only felt compelled to register and post here after staying at the Omni Bedford Springs Resort. I would rank it among my top few favorite hotels in North America. My wife and I were so captivated by the place that the primary topic of conversation we had during our stay was the resort itself. Standing out more than anything was the absolute genius of the renovation of this historical property. It's a near perfect blend of a charming historical adaptation combined with all the modern trappings of a world class spa/hotel. I rank it higher than the Chateau Lake Louise and several other highly rated "grand" historical hotels.
Simply put the property is gorgeous and there are so many pleasantly surprising and interesting details that they are too numerous to name here (and allows the new visitor the chance to discover them all on their own).
The staff was flawless, warm & friendly. The room was superb. Activities numerous and the Spa was one of the better we have experienced (though as most Spas can be in high-end properties, pricey)

We ate at the 1776 and at the Frontier room and had excellent meals at both. I actually preferred the cozier, warmer atmosphere at the more casual Frontier Tavern than at 1776. I thought 1776 was the one place that probably was an architectural misstep in the renovation. We did not eat in the Crystal room but the atmosphere and room looked very appealing and hope to dine there on our next visit.

Having a glass of wine or cocktail on a warm summer evening on the grand front porch of this 200+ year old hotel will take you back to a different time.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
OmniBedfordSprings, Manager at Omni Bedford Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2010

Dear Guests -

We're so happy to hear you enjoyed your time here, at Omni Bedford Springs Resort. Your feedback is greatly appreciated, we always enjoy hearing about a guests stay to further influence our staff and service. Thank you so much, we hope you come back soon.

Sincerely-
Management
Omni Bedford Springs Resort

Reviewed August 21, 2010

I've never been moved to write my own trip review before, only to read others', but this trip to the Bedford Springs could not go without recognition. Not only is this place beautiful, but it is interesting, relaxing and fun. There is a little something for everyone. It's nestled into a beautiful little valley with nice views of a nearby mountain (which has great little hiking trails), the golf course with a perfect horizon, and beautifully maintained gardens and lawns. There are two pools (indoor and outdoor), an amazing spa, and several restaurants. We ate at the tavern twice because the food and the service was so good. After dinner, guests can go out on the lawn and sit around the firepit and have drinks and cook smores that the resort provides the tools for. It's wonderful!
The site and hotel is full of history that the Omni has done a great job of blending throughout the design, so you feel immersed in the experience. I could go on and on about all of the little touches and things that make this resort so special, but in short 5 stars - I absolutely recommend it anyone looking for a nice weekend (or week) away.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
OmniBedfordSprings, Manager at Omni Bedford Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2010

Dear Guests -

We're so appreciative of all of the positive feedback and are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We're glad you got to experience some of our activities here at the resort. As we strive to make each visit a new visit exceeding the previous, we hope you come back to stay again. Thank you for all of your wonderful feekback.

Jillian King
Management

Reviewed August 13, 2010

The hotel surely never looked this good back in the day; instead, it’s what the resort might have looked like if Ralph Lauren had been alive in 1870. It’s a grand hotel without a hint of pretension, and the entire property is casual, so there’s no need to dress up.
The only bit of grousing I heard during my stay were a few women complaining that they were unable to experience certain spa treatments, regretting that they had not booked those prior to arrival.
I was able to check in early, and the desk staff accommodated my request to stay in one of the historic wings, instead of the newly-constructed spa wing to which I had been pre-assigned. This was also the first hotel that allowed me to check in prior to arrival (via E-mail), much like printing a boarding pass for a flight before leaving home.
There is plenty to remind you of days gone by: horseshoes, tree swings, porches with rocking chairs and a fire pit for roasting marshmallows ($6 for a kit to make s'mores). History comes alive here, mainly through the hundreds of displays of framed photographs, postcards, documents and antique furniture lining the walls and hallways. It’s awe inspiring to realize the chair you’re sitting in to sip a cup of afternoon tea is just a few feet from the very desk used by President James Buchanan when he was in residence.
I was fascinated by all this history served cheek-by-jowl with up-to-the-minute technology. There’s an ATM machine in the business center; my guest room in the Anderson building had an iPod docking station; all lamp switches had dimmers, and both a flat screen TV and mini-fridge sat discretely behind the doors of a secretary desk. Staying in one of the more remote wings means less foot traffic outside the rooms, so I didn’t mind the longish hike to the lobby and restaurants.
A fascinating history tour ($10) reveals that octogenarian Mr. Bill Defibaugh stops by every other day to wind the clocks and turn the pages of the historical hotel ledgers displayed in glass cases. Mr. Defibaugh’s collections of historic postcards, shot guns, photos and furnishings provide an insightful window into the resort’s history (this property is a member of Historic Hotels of America).
Other reviewers complained that the only evidence of the mandatory $20 resort fee was bottled water. However, it includes valet parking with in and out privileges, daily newspaper, use of the fitness and business centers, complimentary WiFi throughout the hotel, access to the indoor/outdoor pools, afternoon tea in the lobby, local & 800 access call connections, and that free bottled water mentioned earlier.
It’s worthwhile to become a member of the Omni Select Guest loyalty program (free to join), because extra perks include complimentary nightly turndown service, morning beverage tray delivered to guest room (tea, coffee, juices), shoe shine and clothes pressing (2 items).
Unexpected touches were a pair of carved walking sticks in an umbrella stand in my room’s foyer and a dressing table with tri-fold mirror in the bathroom. This was one of the handsomest bathrooms I’ve used in any hotel; it looked as if the entire Restoration Hardware catalog had been raided.
Everything is served up by the friendliest team of employees I’ve ever encountered. I lost track of how many times staffers asked me if I was enjoying my stay and if they could provide any extra assistance. Upon leaving, I learned that the parking valet team had replaced the dead battery in my key fob.
Oh – and you can bring your dog.
Perfect.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
OmniBedfordSprings, Manager at Omni Bedford Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2010

Dear Recent Guest -

Thank you for all of your gracious comments and beautiful descriptions. We're thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed your visit with us. We take all comments as suggestions and appreciate all of your compliments. We strive to exceed your expectations with every stay, so please come back and see us again.

Management at Omni Bedford Springs Resort

Reviewed August 12, 2010

We just returned from our second trip to Bedford Springs. As everyone else has noted it is a large, gorgeous property that makes you feel as if you are going back in time. It is not cheap by any means however. Since there are already a lot of favorable reviews I will highlight what you might not like. By the time you do what the hotel offers—golf, spa, restaurants—you will have probably spent $1000 on a weekend. If I’m paying a lot I expect a lot, in most cases the hotel came through, but not always. I had a great massage at the spa, my husband said the golf course was one of the best he has played. The rooms are beautiful and the beds among the most comfortable I have ever slept in. Food could be hit or miss. Breakfast in the Crystal Room was tasty ($18pp for the buffet) but at 1796 I found the price out of line for the quality—that pretentious gourmet style without being really exceptional. The indoor pool was never crowded, the outdoor pool was busy but I didn’t have a problem getting a chair or towel, though it’s pretty small in comparison to the size of the hotel. The fitness center is also surprisingly small for this kind of property. Service throughout the property was good with one exception (see below). The valets and bellmen were quick and friendly, check-in was fine, restaurant service was also good.

While I happily pay the resort fee at other places with lots of activities I didn’t really see what I was getting for it beyond bottled water. Everything was extra: smores at the fire pit $6, tour of the property $10 (it’s pretty lame to charge paying guests for this in particular), guided fitness walk $10, pretty much all the activities on the daily list required a fee. If you are paying upwards of $275 a night and paying a resort fee I would expect not to have to have my wallet out at every turn.

Historic wing vs spa wing: On this trip we were in the spa wing, the last time the historic wing, the décor of each room was similar(and beautiful), including the bathroom. The historic wing is a bit farther out from the main section of the hotel meaning it’s quieter with less traffic at the elevators, offers easier outside access (if you bring your dog), has the porches seen on the front of the hotel. You should know before booking a room with a porch that they are actually walkways and since the only windows of these rooms look out onto porches if you want to close the blinds for privacy or security you will have no daylight in the room. The windows in our historic room were painted shut and the only way to get outside air was to open the door so air could pass through the screen door. Our room in the spa wing was close to all the action and seemed slightly bigger but was also noisier (most noise came through the door from the hallway) and you sometimes had to wait for an elevator. The spa wing overlooks the events lawn. On our first night there was a wedding below, which initially was fun and interesting to watch. But when we wanted to turn in early the wedding reception complete with dj, disco music and dancing got started and even with all the windows closed we could clearly hear the thump-thump-thump of the bass line from the massive sound system and even make out what the dj was saying and we were on the third floor. This went on til 10:15--not what I had in mind for a relaxing weekend getaway.

As previous reviews note it is worth signing up for Omni’s frequent guest program. The best perk is coffee and juice delivered to your room in the morning and turndown service (mainly filling the ice bucket and on our last night a cookie—no chocolates). This service was great except for the fact that they were pretty aggressive getting the tray back from you, ringing the phone (don't try to go back to sleep) and even if you try to pre-empt this and put it outside the door they still call. The low point of our stay was the housekeeping service, which was just odd. There were three of us registered for the room but we had to ask for towels for three, our toiletries were never replenished after the first day even though the empties were clearly visible in the trash, the crib we had requested prior to arrival was never delivered, the robe we placed on the floor to have replaced (visible juice spill) just got hung up again and when it was taken on the second try it was never replaced either (a problem because this is what you are supposed to wear to the indoor pool), the visibly dirty sheets (crumbs, coffee spill) were not replaced (though to be fair I did not put the card out the first morning and by the second figured it wasn’t worth it for one more night), and the food crumbs on the floor weren’t vacuumed. I point out all of this because instead of doing hotel stuff the housekeeper spent her time arranging our personal things in the room, which felt invasive. I left a pile of clothes on the floor and she went through it and folded everything (frankly I don’t want somebody going through my dirty underwear), threw out the newspaper I had planned on reading, closed up open suitcases and generally moved things around that we had arranged to our liking, meanwhile I couldn’t get a new bottle of shampoo. And we did tip every day.
None of this is to say that we didn’t have a nice time and won’t return at some point in the future but I wanted to provide an alternative point of view to all the “everything was wonderful” reviews.

Lastly, the town of Bedford is worth an afternoon of exploring if you like antiquing. For alternatives to resort food for dinner there is Jean Bonnet, four miles from the resort and also the Union Hotel in Everett which has been beautifully remodeled in period style, about 15 minutes away. For breakfast there are two cafes in town, we tried Green Harvest this time but didn’t care for it, and the Bedford diner, closer to the turnpike.

3  Thank booklover

Dear guest -

We truly appreciate you taking the time to detail your visit, each comment and suggestion will be followed up on for further improvement. We will make every effort to provide the exceptional service we strive to create for your next visit. Thank you very much for all of your feedback.

Management at Omni Bedford Springs Resort

Reviewed August 7, 2010

The first thing that struck us upon our arrival was the elegant beauty of the place - the look is historical and classic, but it feels new (the renovations were completed only 3 years ago). Everything is gorgeous: the beautifully manicured front entrance, the lobby, even the hallways! The renovations were done brilliantly, and the attention to historical detail is breathtaking. When we got to our room there were a few technical problems, but I called maintenance and within minutes they fixed everything. The staff is the friendliest I have seen anywhere - not just respectful and courteous, but actually warm and friendly. The spa is luxurious and well appointed. My wife and I were very pleased with our massages. The air outside, especially on the hiking trails, is sweet and delicious. Most of the other guests were considerably older than us (we're in our late twenties), but that didn't bother us bec. we came to relax and enjoy each other's company, not to socialize. My only complaints are: 1) they charge you to rent their tennis rackets, and you must purchase balls. I feel that a classy place like this should not nickle and dime you for sports equipment; there are less fancy places that supply these for free. 2) The 'biking trails' are really the hiking trails, and unless you're an experienced mountain biker, you probably won't be able to handle the rough, natural terrain. (We ended up biking on the road that leads to the hotel instead). But overall we had a great time, and we left refreshed and rejuvenated.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
OmniBedfordSprings, Manager at Omni Bedford Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2010

Dear Couple from Lakewood, New Jersey -

We were so delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay here at Omni Bedford Springs Resort. It was nice to hear our staff were an asset to your visit, they work exceptionally hard to make each guest feel special. We do take all feedback seriously and appreciate all the feedback we can get! We hope to see you again soon!

Hotel Management

Reviewed August 6, 2010

After a drive form Mississauga, Ontario, a night at the Omni William Penn in Pittsburg (which is a <<great>> hotel) we found that Omni Bedford Spring. What a site and history. A place to relax, enjoy and discover. The inside mineral pool is unbelieveable. The outside one a bit small but still a great place with view of the mountains and the Golf Course. Golf course to be played, well maintained and manicured with a gorgious layout. The fire pit at night was the place to meet people and have fun which we did. I believe we were the only Canadian around. Wife start singing with people at night at it was awesome. She even convinced a local couple celebrating their 36 wedding anniversary to sleep over, (we did enjoy rerd wine ?) Service is great, people are just very friendly. We will probably go back as soon as we have a chance. Again thanks to everyone out there for your kindness.
Gilles & Elizabeth from Mississauga Ontario Canada
PS: if you go there, you also need to have dinner one night at the Jean Bonnet Tavern 15 minutes away.

Dear Guests,

We read your review and are very happy to know you enjoyed your time. We're happy to hear you got to fully experience one of our favored amenities, the firepit! Thank you for all of your comments, we're always pleased to hear a guest's opinion. We hope to see you in the near future!

Hotel Management

Reviewed July 31, 2010

We stayed one night at the Omni on a recent business trip. I wish we could have stayed longer. We arrived in the early afternoon and had five hours of sunshine to explore the extensive grounds and use the amazing indoor pool. We did not have the time to visit their outdoor pool, but heard it was great.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. The room was large and well furnished. I especially liked the bathroom. The gounds are beautifully maintained and there are places to stop and sit around the resort.

We are already planning our return visit.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Bedford Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2010

We are delighted to hear that your brief trip to The Omni Bedford Springs was enough to entice you to return! We appreciate your kind review and will look forward to welcoming you back!