“When can we go back?”

Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Bedford
Carlisle
“When can we go back?”
Reviewed September 3, 2009

My husband and I just spent 2 nights at the Bedford Springs Resort, celebrating our anniversary. This was our second time there. What a beautiful place; the grounds are beautifully kept; our room and bath were beyond clean. The public rooms are beautifully furnished and very comfortable. Service was excellent. We came looking for a quiet, relaxing time and were not disappointed. The porch rooms are great; we thoroughly enjoyed the rockers! Staff acknowledged our anniversary with a nice bottle of sparkling wine in our room our first evening there. There are two beautiful pools--inside and out. The fire pit is a nice gathering place. If you want a Disneyland resort, this is not for you; the Bedford Springs has the class of times gone by. The only down side is that the restaurants are expensive; the meals do not equate with the cost (but the service was very good.) That being said, we will return to this beautiful hotel.

The town of Bedford has many up-scale shops and antique stores. There are several nice cafes. Bedford has lots of interesting architecture. The museum is small, but interesting. We liked the Coverlet Museum also. Be sure to visit Old Bedford Town for a taste of history.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Bedford Springs Resort, responded to this review, September 23, 2009
Thank you for choosing to spend your anniversary at the Omni Bedford Springs Resort. We are happy to know that this second trip did not disappoint. We are appreciative that you took the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor and hope to welcome you back many more times in the days ahead!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (540)
Cresson, Pa
Reviewed August 31, 2009

They asked if we wanted turn-down. We said yes but they never came. First morning
at breakfast they offered juice first. Second day no juice and I even had to pour my
own coffee refill. Food does not match ambience in 1796 Dining Room. Only 1 comfortable place to sit in an otherwise lovely guest room although public areas are
outstanding and the renovation was beyond our expectations. The spa is well worth
a trip

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
We appreciate your feedback from your recent stay. We are disappointed that your entire stay wasn't perfect but your comments will allow us to make improvements and prevent similar issues from occurring in the future. It is great to know that you enjoyed the spa and our public area and we hope will have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.
washington dc
Reviewed August 21, 2009

This was the best hotel I've been to in the USA. I compare it to the Hotel Del Coronado, the Homestead, and Greenbrier. The history and service make this hotel unique. The recent renovation and opening still lend an air of celebration to the place adding to the charm. The hotel encourages families and provides activities for all ages. Outstanding features are the porches, the indoor mineral spring pool, and the fire pit. We choose this location to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary, it definitely met our hopes for an utterly romantic stay. Oh and the food was fabulous as one would expect. We chose a premier spa room. I'd like to go back and try the stone house or swiss cottage next. Each has its own character with period decor.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Bedford Springs Resort, responded to this review, August 26, 2009
Thank you for all of your kind feedback and congratulations on your 25th anniversary! We are so pleased that we could provide you with the perfect place to celebrate and truly hope that you will return to experience the other options that the resort has to offer.
New York, NY
Reviewed August 17, 2009

I just returned from a 5 night stay at the Bedford Springs Resort with my wife and 22 month old son. We drove all the way from New York and I am already itching to return.

The resort just went through a restoration in 2007 and is beautiful. We stayed in the new "Spa Wing" which has beautiful and nice sized rooms. The hotel is a great place to relax, it has lounges and rocking chairs pretty much everywhere you turn. Having my son with us did not leave us anytime to relax but we had a great time nonetheless. Even though it may appear to be a stuffy old-style resort (collars are required for all men), the resort is very relaxed and very child friendly, including a child's menu available at every restaurant,a playground and activities. The surrounding area does not have much to do with children, but the "Critter Tour" was fun. Although the most fun was sitting around the fire pit at night making smores. The outdoor pool was great with a large ledge making it easy with kids. The beautiful historic indoor pool is filled with spring water and uses bromine instead of chlorine so you feel great after a swim.

The restaurants were fantastic. We especially enjoyed breakfast in the Crystal Room and dinners in the relaxed tavern. There are also more formal dinning options available.

The service is also fantastic. Just one examples was when were checking out early in the morning right after breakfast. The bellhop said our luggage would be put in storage until we finished with breakfast, but when I went outside after breakfast to have them bring my car around and get our luggage out of storage I found the car fully packed and waiting for us out front.

Finally, I am no history buff, but the hotel does have a wonderful sense of history. The history is the real deal and not contrived like you may find at other "historic" hotels. Everywhere there are pictures, postcards and memorabilia from the hotel's 200 year history which made our stay even more interesting.

I am definitely looking forward to returning.

Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Shaytmg
We are delighted to hear that your family had such a great time at the Omni Bedford Springs Resort. We do love children and are glad to hear that you found plenty of activities on the resort to keep your family entertained. As your child gets older you will have to take advantage of our Anderson's Explorers program so you enjoy some adult down time as well. Thank you for your review and we will look forward to your next visit!
Birmingham, MI
Reviewed August 16, 2009

I stayed here with my family for 4 nights in July & we really loved the place. The hotel was totally renovated a couple years back & it is absolutely gorgeous. The rooms are quite small which I can't figure out since we stayed in the new part of the hotel & you'd think they would make them a bit roomier or have more room configurations. The decor was nice & for the first time ever, I actually liked the hotel bathroom (usually hotel bathrooms gross me out). There was a common room right down from my room which I thought would be great for the kids to play a card game in or something since the room was so tiny, but they kept the room locked the whole time & you had to call security to open it up which was a pain.

A couple issues I had with my room, other than the small size was that I asked for a balcony when I made the reservation, but when I got to the room I discovered it was a "juliette" balcony which basically means a door with a railing across the doorway which isn't a balcony at all. When I pointed out the problem to the front desk they didn't seem to care much & said they couldn't switch rooms & I should check with them tomorrow. They told me I should have requested a "porch" instead, so be sure to reserve the correct room if that is what you want. The other problem with the room was having to listen to a barking dog. I specifically asked for my room not to be near any dogs since I knew the hotel allowed dogs, but that doesn't stop them from putting a dog in the room below you or two doors down or having dogs jump on you in the lobby.

We ate at two of the hotel restaurants pretty much every day & the food & waitstaff were sometimes good & sometimes bad. They really did make an effort when I sent my food back one morning which I appreciated. We did have a wonderful dinner at the Crystal Room one night but the food at the Tavern was pretty much greasy tavern food & nothing vegetarian friendly.

One thing to point out is that this hotel is in the middle of nowhere. There is literally nothing to do in the surrounding area. We tried a few side trips but were disappointed each time, so we just kind of hunkered down at the hotel. Since my kids wanted some beach time, the hotel sent us to a nearby park, but even that was a disaster because it was a man-made lake & was basically stinky brown water so we did a quick kayak ride & headed back.

I would recommend this hotel if you are looking for a quiet, upscale & historic place & like to hike, swim, lounge by the pool, golf, read on sprawling porches, or go to the spa. If that is not your cup of tea (I forgot to mention we loved tea time each afternoon also), then this isn't the place for you.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Thank you for your candid feedback from your recent stay at the Omni Bedford Springs. It is disappointing to hear that we missed the mark on several aspects of your stay. While we never like to hear that a guest had a less than perfect experience with us we value the feedback as it gives us the opportunity to make improvements to our service. Please accept our apologies and we do hope that you would consider the Omni Bedford Springs in the future.
doylestown, pa
Reviewed August 15, 2009

This was our second stay at the resort. On this trip, my husband and I were at Bedford Springs to celebrate our tenth wedding anniversary. I relaxed in the beautiful spa, my husband took in the breathtaking golf course, and we both enjoyed the romantic and calming atmosphere. From the moment we entered until we left on our last day, we were treated with care and respect. The accommodations were clean, comfortable, and cozy. The spa was elegant and relaxing. Can't wait to return in the fall!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Happy Anniversary again and thank you for your kind review. We appreciate you choosing to stay with us for your special celebration and we will look forward to your return. Please do not hesitate to contact us if there is anything you need for your fall getaway.
Ellicott City, MD
Reviewed August 12, 2009

My friend and I just returned from a very relaxing girls weekend at Bedford Springs Resort. The property is beautiful and well maintained. Although the resort appeared understaffed, everyone was very nice and helpful.
I tried to check in at 12 and because my room was not ready, I was given free drink coupons which I really appreciated. We ended up leaving the property for lunch and when the room still wasn't ready when we got back, we headed to the pool for the afternoon. There are several cabanas which we were pleasantly surprised to discover were first come first serve.
When we checked in closer to 5, we found out that our bags had already been brought up - another nice surprise.
We had a horrible experience at The Tavern - it took 40 minutes for our appetizer to come out and when it did, it was horribly burned. We complained and said that we just wanted our salads since we were starving. They took another 20 minutes. Fortunately, the whole meal was taken care of.
The rest of our visit was spent hiking, relaxing at the pool, making smores by the fire pit. My friend tried to get a spa appointment but they were completely booked so definitely don't wait until your available to book.
We also had dinner off property the next night at the Jean Bonnet Tavern - the meal was great and I highly recommend the oatmeal pie!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank DanaHoo
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Omni Bedford Springs. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and that the few issues you experienced were quickly rectified. We would like to second your recommendaton about making reservations for spa treatments prior to arrival. They do fill up quickly especially on the weekends. Thank you again for your review and we hope you will come back again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bedford
Quality Inn Bedford
#6 of 10 in Bedford
Best Western Plaza Inn
Best Western Plaza Inn
#4 of 8 in Breezewood

Been to Omni Bedford Springs Resort? Share your experiences!