“Wonderful but....”

Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Bedford
WV & TX
“Wonderful but....”
Reviewed March 21, 2014

We took advantage of a great Groupon deal and spent 2 night at the resort. When I made the reservation I was hoping to take our golf clubs but we took our skis instead. The resort is a wonderful "old style" resort and very relaxing. We enjoyed out king size room. Very comfortable and even had 2 walking sticks ready for a hike. All of the public rooms are lovely. There are even puzzles set out that you can stop and see if you can add a few pieces. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. We enjoyed a day on the slopes at Blue Knob. It was mid-week so we practically had the place to ourselves. There are some nice long cruising trails. Had planned to explore Bedford some more but ended up staying at the resort except for the ski day. Had dinner the first night in the Tavern. Service was good. Had the special appetizer which was Washington state cheeses. My husband had the steak frites and was very happy. All cooked to perfection. I had the salmon; which they said was Atlantic wild when I asked but sure tasted farm raised to me. We had breakfast both mornings in the dining room. There is a very large buffet for $22 and it also has plated and served items such as eggs benedict. Each morning Perry came to the table to check on the breakfast he had prepared. We spent some time in the pool which is lovely but a little on the cool side for an indoor pool. Now here is where the "but" comes in, we had dinner the second night at 1796 Room. The room is attractively decorated but then the busboy comes by and sprays a nearby table while you are trying to eat. The shrimp cocktail was beautifully presented and my husband enjoyed it, then his medium lamb was bloody rare. I ordered the "baby" iceberg wedge which was a large whole head of iceberg. It was just another wedge salad. I had shrimp scampi and it was the most tasteless shrimp dish I've ever had. It was served with butter sauce that was barely warm. The final straw was the crème brulee which was stone cold. They said that's the way they get it from their vendor. I suggested they at least try to fake people out and run it under the broiler to warm the sugar. I felt it was really over priced for the quality of the food. If you say you are 4 star and charge like you are 4 star then you NEED to be 4 star.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Bedford Springs Resort, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
First, let me offer a note of thanks for such a wonderful review of the general atmosphere and beauty of our resort. Your kind words are greatly appreciated and I have been so happy to relay your acknowledgement to Perry, our breakfast chef. It sounds as if you had a very lovely stay and I am so glad you had the opportunity to ski Blue Knob which I personally believe is one of the most fun slopes to experience --- another hidden gem in this part of the state!

Along with my thanks, I would also like to convey my most sincere apologies that your dining experience in our 1796 room fell short of your expectations. I assure you that your commentary has been shared with our Executive Chef so that he may work with his team to improve upon these items. Your concern for our service in this regard is greatly appreciated and I thank you for bringing this to our attention. We certainly wish to bring this area of service up to the degree of expectation that you have described.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (534)
carlisle, United States
Reviewed March 21, 2014

We celebrated our 60th wedding anniversary here and found the experience to be very pleasing. Particularly enjoyed the knowledge of the history tour guide. The room was very nice and beds were comfortable. We found that there was plenty of things to explore and enjoy. Staff was very attentive to every request we made of them and gave the distinct impression that they were not only very knowledgeable but really enjoyed there positions at the resort.

Kensington, United States
Reviewed March 19, 2014

Bedford Springs Resort is a relaxing and friendly place to stay. Food is excellent. I am Celiac and need to be gluten free. This is one place I know I can get meals from a Rueben sandwich to waffles/pancakes. Love the Spa and pool. Bedrooms are comfortable and well appointed. Easy to get to from the Washington metro area. Bedford itself is a nice small town to walk around and enjoy other eating places.

Reviewed March 19, 2014

Beautiful hotel and grounds, excellent home-made food for both dinner and breakfast, service above average in all aspects, fabulous massage with therapist who really knows her stuff, spa is gorgeous, all rooms are extremely clean, lots of history can be learned by looking at old ledgers and photos displayed throughout the inn. It's a large inn but feels cozy and warm. We will definitely return to the Inn at Bedfrod Springs and highly recommend it to others.

Pittsburgh, United States
Reviewed March 18, 2014

The hotel itself is excellent. I do think that the restuarants are a bit overpriced for the quality of food but we did find places to eat outside of the hotel that we felt gave really good meals that were not overpriced. The spa is expensive also but the whole experience was worthy of the price.

4 Thank KAREN M
Vienna
Reviewed March 18, 2014

Good time and we will be back. I would like to see the tea time restored to have snacks, cookies, tea sandwiches provided in the lobby with no fee! We have visit your resort several times a year and always have a great time. This trip we brought along my brother and his wife. We are planning an anniversary trip in the fall. Around November 22nd - Looking for a great rate!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Philadelphia, United States
Reviewed March 18, 2014

What a pleasant surprise in the middle of Bedford County, PA. I heard very nice things about the resort but was extremely impressed with the beauty of the resort, the friendliness of the entire staff and the overall efficiency of running a large property. To me, it seemed like clockwork, everything was top notch. The food is very good, high quality and straight forward, nothing complicated. I would recommend enthusiastically.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bedford
Fairfield Inn & Suites Bedford
#6 of 10 in Bedford
Best Western Plaza Inn
Best Western Plaza Inn
#4 of 8 in Breezewood

Been to Omni Bedford Springs Resort? Share your experiences!