Omni Bedford Springs Resort
$81
$129
Fairfield Inn
$55
Judy's Motel PA Dutch Heritage(Bedford)(Great Value!)
$65
$55
4,453 results
All reviewscrystal roomfire pithiking trailsfrontier tavernspa wingindoor poolrelaxation roomrocking chairsspring waterspa servicesmineral springsgreat spabath ritualbedford springs resortbeautiful hotelgreat weekendlong weekend
Reviewed September 2, 2008

We stayed at Bedford Springs for a three day weekend. My wife loved the spa services. We both found the rooms to be attractive (we stayed in Everett House) and particularly enjoyed the porch in front of our room. The resort staff was universally friendly (although the front desk seemed a little disorganized at check-in. The Crystal Room (one of the two dining rooms) was attractive although the menu was rather limited. The only disappointment was the tavern—crowded and noisy with a more down market vibe than the rest of the hotel. One of the main appeals was the proximity to Baltimore-Washington (much closer than Nemacolin or the Homestead or Greenbrier). Bedford is perhaps not yet up to that level, but the convenience and friendliness of the staff will put it back in our future travel plans.

1  Thank TouringLawyer
Reviewed September 2, 2008

My wife and I decided to avail ourselves of the special Bedford Springs offered for the Labor Day weekend, and for the third time enjoyed the resort. The first two occasions each had some minor hiccup that indicated the staff was a quarter step behind on five star service. But considering the resorts been open for little more than a year (not counting the original start in 1796) they were really minor and didn’t diminish the overall enjoyment of the resort. This time they got it right…from check-in, to dinner, to golf, to check-out…not one problem with the staff.

I will say, on Saturday evening, the Tavern had so many guests it became somewhat noisy, and while the service slowed it didn’t stop. We enjoy the tavern, some might say it has a somewhat limited menu but it’s a tavern after all, and generally very comfortable and relaxing. I think it really should be a bit larger to accommodate the bigger crowds that occasionally come, but that’s just my thought. As for the Crystal Room, we enjoyed the buffet for dinner, I like prime rib, my wife likes sea bass…we were happy people. I’m not as keen on the 1796 Room, the epicurean dining experience is simply lost on me, I have uncomplicated tastes. It was quiet and romantic, the food was quite good, but as you may guess, just not for me. I’m quite sure others will enjoy it far more than I did.

They do have a couple of “extras” that just don’t make sense to me…I’m not sure I’ll ever figure out the “rent an exotic car” thing…I mean they got the state to move an entire highway so guests wouldn’t have to look at traffic, and then they rent cars…some would say "ironic, eh". The outdoor evening entertainment was, by and large, entertaining and a good time was had by the folks sitting around the fire pit. (my wife will never ask to make smores again, thank god)
We’ll probably go back for new years…last year was a great time…

Bottom line, are there better resorts? You betcha Red Rider, there’s Keswick Hall, the Greenbrier, the Homestead that all compare favorably with Bedford Springs, and for those you pay, often you really really pay . Add to that, the Bedford has been open all of 13 or 14 months. I wonder how long it took the Homestead to “get it right”?
But for it’s age and price…Bedford Springs offers the adventuring traveler a comfortable and elegant place to enjoy life as it was before everything had to be “instantaneous”.

2  Thank Rwlspinner
Reviewed September 2, 2008

We spent Labor Day Weekend at the Bedford Springs Resort and LOVED it. We stayed in the Spa wing of the hotel with two small children (complimentary pack 'n play was provided). We really enjoyed the beautiful scenery and the kids loved hiking on the green diamond (less than a mile) trail to see some of the springs. It was very easy to do and fun. I got a massage at the spa and did the Bedford Bath ritual in the spa before my massage. We ate two times for dinner at the hotel in the Tavern and they have kids menu choices if you ask.

We also had a small fridge in our room, which was very helpful with the kids.

My 4 year old son loved the pool complex and learning about the grand history of the resort.

All in all, we had a wonderful time and will be back in the future. All the staff were wonderful and accomodating to us.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank nicki2222
Reviewed August 31, 2008

My husband and I just spent two days a Bedford Springs Resort. In many ways it was one of our best get-aways ever! The rooms were gorgeous -- looked like everything was right out of a Restoration Hardware catalog spread. The renovation is amazing! There are no rough edges anywhere. In buildings that are all +/- 100 years old, this is very impressive. The common areas are also fabulous, beautifully appointed and very comfortable and welcoming.

I think they may have read TripAdvisor comments regarding service -- everyone we encountered was friendly, helpful and completely attentive to our needs. I have never felt so pampered as a hotel guest before.

Our main activity one day a was the 4-mile, Evitt's Trail hike over the mountain that faces the resort. It was a fairly challenging trail, through lovely, shady woods. We encountered only three other groups of hikers in our 3-plus hours on the trail. It was great.

Now here's the "but"... as many other reviews have said, this is not a foodie place! We live in NYC where the average neighborhood joint is equal to a three-star restaurant in other towns, so we always have modest expectations when we're on vacation. 1796, the so-called fine dining restaurant at Bedford Springs came far short of even our modest expectations. At $80 for three course it was simply a rip-off. My first course was nearly inedible (and I am not that picky). Yet, the staff all seemed so well-meaning, I literally didn't have the heart to complain. The food at the pool-side restaurant and Crystal Room is entirely adequate. The dinner buffet is definitely the way to go if value is a concern -- the salads and cheeses were very nice and I was surprised by the quality of the sea bass and crab/pasta dish among the entrees. In all restaurants, the wines-by-the-glass are well chosen and average-priced.

One reviewer commented that they don't serve drinks by the fire pit, however when we were there a server hoovered outside serving drinks all evening long. In fact, the fire pit and the live music there were the center of the nightlife at the resort.

I'd recommend Bedford Springs Resort to anyone. The indoor pool is magnificent, as are the various staircases and architectural features throughout. It's breathtaking; just go knowing that it's not about the food.

1  Thank eakNYC
Reviewed August 29, 2008

My husband told me he was taking me "somewhere" for my birthday. I was convinced he was taking me to Nemocolin Woodlands. I am never surprised but I was this time! I saw this property when it was in our local paper and I cut it out and showed my husband. I had forgotten all about it. You get there and it is valet parking only, nice! They took our luggage and we didnt have to deal with it at all. We got there early, but no problem checking in at 12:00 PM. We had a Bedford Springs Package that had lunch and dinner and breakfast the next day. As we were hungry, we went to the Frontier Tavern, lunch was good. Not alot of choices, service was a little slow but fine. Our room was Beautiful! We had a lux. spa room. Beautiful bathroom, wonderful bed linens and decorated in a very relaxing way. I love being outside so we had a balcony with rocking chairs.. Iloved that. This is the place if you want to "chill". I saw there was alot of outside things to do. As we have kids I dont get alot of time to just relax. I did here! We did go to the pool, very nice. The water is so soft, we didnt swim inside but it looked nice as well. We had a drink at the pool. Expensive! Every thing here is so bring alot of money. Glass of wine $12.00. We did bring our own wine ad drank it in our rocking chairs!! Good idea. Dinner was in the main dinning room, called 1869 or something like that, It was a four course meal. Fancy and relaxing. Businees casual is the rule, I wore a dress I bought when we went on vacation this summer and that was fine. Guys had on dress pants and golf shirts. My husband hates to get dressed up but nice slacks and collared shirt are fine. Dinner was slow? We figured out maybe that is how they do it here. After dinner outside fire with guitar player. Nice. They stopped at 10:30 as not to disturb guests. We would of liked to stay much longer but ... We went back to room and again sat outside . Breakfast was okay, I hate buffets but our server said if we ordered off menue it was 30 minutes or more. Why I do not know? Buffet is nice if you like buffets. Fruit was fresh, hot items okay. Service was really slow once again. Took forever to get our juice and water. Could improve on training the staff . The staff was overall nice. They looked at you and said hello and asked how things were. etc. We like that!! We will be back!!

1  Thank sandytoes4ever