“I've Seen the Before and After”

Omni Bedford Springs Resort
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Bedford
Reviewed August 16, 2013

For years back in the 1980's, my family and I would go to the original Bedford Springs Hotel before it was bought out by Omni. I would always explain it to people as "Chautauqua without the lakes." We have such fond memories there! We decided to return this past early August for my Mom's 80th birthday to "re-live" some old times. It has changed a lot. I could go into details about what used to be, and what shocked me with so many changes, but I will just say that although the facility is lovely, it has lost some of its original charm with the upscale renovations. For some of you, this is not a bad thing. But for those of you who "remember it when" it is different, with more of a hotel chain like feel and fewer nooks and crannies, places to discover, the old soda fountain, Bingo night, the outdoor walkway...OK I told you I would not reminisce...In a nutshell, that is one reason I give it a 4 star rating because I am feeling old and unable to accept too much change. LOL...BUT another con is the place is pricey. I am not sure if we are permitted to include rates in reviews, but we paid $405 for one night, my friends. And then I received an e mail coincidentally from a discount travel web site for $169! How does that justify the value? Another Con: Pillows were foam and not high quality. No duvet comforters. Expected a little more upscale bedding but bed comfortable. Bathroom amenities kind of skimpy and not special either for the price of the room (defined as a "Spa Room.") OK, you're planning your trip and you want to know: How is it to stay here? Pretty awesome and magical. Good for families and weddings and yet a romantic getaway would be perfect, too. We ate in the Dining Room which was really expensive and the food was good but I was not overwhelmed with anything outstanding. Nicely presented. I remember the old days of a 5 course meal and I miss that. I just do! Nice staff. The walk over the bridge to see the Mineral Springs is an improvement. You can fill your water bottle easily. Lots to do here but the only thing included in your $400 night is the room, swimming, hiking and tennis. All else you pay for: massages, golf, etc. I am so glad this place survived. It helps the community and it really is a beautiful place to stay.

1  Thank happynowyoga

Reviewed August 15, 2013

The Omni Bedford Springs is a wonderful hotel where you are made to feel like a princess for a few days. The rooms are elegant with marble baths. The furnishings are beautiful and the bedding is dreamy! We ate dinner in the Crystal room which is a little pricey but very good. I think a less formal but interesting menu would be more to my liking. The menu "tries too hard." We tried to get into the Frontier Room but was told it would be a 45 minute wait so we opted for the Crystal Room which was less crowded but getting overflow from the Frontier Room at that point. I think that if the hotel is booked to capacity the restaurants would not be able to handle the number of diners. Book your reservation prior to arrival but one downside is that the Frontier Room does not take reservations so you are at the mercy of how booked the hotel is as to whether or not you get in in a timely manner. The 1796 which we tried the next night was great! I would definitely recommend it. Breakfasts in the Crystal Room which offer either buffer or ala carte are to die for!! Fabulous, wonderful! The spa is also wonderful; catering to your every whim. I can see why it is listed as one of the best spas in the world. Professional staff, serene setting make for a wonderful spa day so take advantage of all of the services you can afford. You will not be disappointed. The baths themselves are worth the price. Despite the price you need to make your reservations well in advance of your arrival but do it!! The outdoor pool is beautiful but small. The lounge chairs were magnificient. The staff made sure each chair had clean terry cloth covers and guests were handed fresh towels. The outdoor snack bar; The Turtle Shell, made wonderful, freshly grilled hamburgers. The bar staff was attentive. Vince was our waiter and he kept the drinks coming! All of the young college kids at the pool area are to be commended for all of their hard work! Also, smores in the firepit were a great evening treat and a good way to meet and talk with other guests. The only downside to our trip was the number of kids we encountered throughout the hotel. I understood from some of the staff that the hotel had recently begun advertising itself as "family friendly" and offering specials like backpacks, etc...If I am paying top dollar for a world class resort with a world class spa and I want to relax...I'm not so sure I want to go to a "family" type of resort. The pool looked more like a Holiday Inn than THE Bedford Springs Resort. If I were the manager I would be careful not to aliente the type of clientel that wants to get away to relax, who can afford to pay top dollar for spa treatments and restaurants (sans screeching children...yes, one was screeching!) all without screaming children. Without having a kids pool which I would recommend they get if they want to continue with the family theme...then kids activities are limited to blending in with the adults who brought them who clearly are immune to their screaming and yelling but other adults who did not bring them must deal with. I would think twice about a summer visit when family friendly promotions are offered. The charm and mystique of the hotel is diminished. BUT the negative should not deter you from running to this hotel. The wonderful hiking trails, hotel tours, cooking class (its a must and book prior to arrival), beautiful grounds, indoor springs pool and world class golf course should be a treat everyone should experience (after the age of 16)!!! Enjoy!

Room Tip: All rooms are wonderful. No bad room. Just choose the old, original wings or the new more modern w...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 15, 2013

My husband and I come hear as our anniversary get away because the setting is amazing and the service is excellent. We like to be active so appreciate the convenient hiking and outdoor facilities (campfire, lawn games). We like to be pampered too so the food was wonderful. The spa is fantastic but we didn't book early enough and didn't have much selection. The pedicure wasn't more extraordinary than one's at a quarter of the price, but access to the spa facilities made it worthwhile.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 14, 2013

What a wonderful place tucked away in Pennsylvania.
We where treated warmly from start to finish.
The resort is big, well maintained and clean.
I loved that they had both an indoor and outdoor pool, and the indoor pool is open 24/7 the only sad part is that the indoor pool has no hot tub.
The spa is lavish and the spa staff are wonderful.
The only two cons: no exhaust fan in the bathroom, making the bathroom overly steamy.
Breakfast was boring/ no flavor and our server left a lot desired, she kept forgetting what we asked for.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 14, 2013

This hotel gave us one of the best relaxing experiences that i can remember in a long time. This hotel was so clean and the staff was so pleasant. the resataurant that serviced breakfast was great. the Tavern bar for dinner was great.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

This is a first class hotel. There's not a lot to do on site, but it's very relaxing. The scenery is beautiful. The restaurants aren't of the same caliber as the hotel and fill up fast. You need to book a table when you reserve your room to assure a reservation.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

Our recent visit to this highly touted resort was, to say the least, a mixed bag. There was excellent, there was very good, there was mediocre and there was confounding. We checked in and discovered that the staff was consistently pleasant and tried to please. But be careful where your room is and what mattress is in your room. Our room was the last one on the last wing of the hotel and it was a trek. Plus, our mattress was not a Temperpedic or other highly-acclaimed mattress. Our was soft and left us sleepless for two nights.

As for the resort, we used the indoor pool, and it is heavenly. The restaurant banquet food is very good, but nothing extraordinary. And our meals in the hotel restaurant were OK - breakfast buffer nothing special for $22.00, and restaurant for lunch fine, but nothing special.

It was the two other events that really made this a mixed bag. First, when I left the room to give a presentation, I left my pocket change by the bed on the nightstand. I returned and it was gone. My wife reported it to the front desk, which discovered that the maid had taken it, assuming it to be a tip. A contrite maid returned it, but no one at the hotel seemed concerned by this. Excuse me, but maids should not be taken anything from a room. Period. And to excuse it is completely unacceptable. I'm glad I didn't leave or forget and leave cash. We hadn't checked out, we just went to our meetings.

And finally, checkout. When we were asked how everything was, the front desk merely shrugged when we explained that we did not sleep (both my wife and I) either night well because we had a less than comfortable bed. No concern, just a shrug.

We heard great things about the hotel, but left feeling empty. Granted, we did not have time to go to the spa, but for what facilities and services we did use, we weren't thrilled. And the laissez-faire attitude (it's OK to take money from guests? and it's OK if the mattress isn't very good?) of the front desk and management left much to be desired.

Room Tip: Unless you like a nice walk, ask to be closer to the entrance/front desk.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business