“Perfect Family Resort”

Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Bedford
DC
“Perfect Family Resort”
Reviewed December 4, 2012

We spent one night at the Omni Bedford Springs Resort during our drive from Ohio to Maryland to spend Thanksgiving with family. We have a four-year old and a one-and-a-half-year old, and an 8 hour drive requires stopping somewhere. We could not have done better than Bedford Springs. This beautiful property was decorated for the holidays; beautiful trees, silver reindeer, and more nutcrackers that I could count. Multiple fireplaces were always lit giving a warm and cozy vibe amidst leather club chairs and puffy ottomans. This is the sort of resort where the bookshelves are lined with real books, and there are partially-completed puzzles on tables and old ledgers scattered about, encouraging guests to wander and discover. We stayed in a single room with porch access - the room was quite large allowing my wife and I to order room service and talk quietly in the sitting area while the kids fell asleep. The kids loved the porch and rocking chairs in the morning.

Aside from the beauty and fun of this resort, the hotel is distinguished by excellent service, great food, and a remarkable lack of preying on guests. I'll address each in turn.

Service: from the moment we checked in (we had no reservations because we weren't sure where we would stop), the staff was wonderful, always inquiring if we had any needs or requests, without being obsequious.

Food: room service was prompt and excellent (the burger is terrific!). Breakfast in the Crystal Room was also quite good (the buffet is impressive).

Not Preying on Guests: In my experience, the fancier the property, the more I expect to be upcharged at every turn. Resort fees; $20 wifi connections; water bottles in the room for $6 each; etc. This resort is completely different. (We did not need wifi, so I don't know the details on that). But, there was no resort fee. Room service prices were reasonable (this is not to say cheap - it's room service - but the prices don't make you feel like the management knows you're in a remote valley with no other options). The kids ate free at the breakfast buffet. That didn't surprise me so much, but when they ordered orange juices and they weren't charged I was surprised. Again, in a hotel of this quality I would have expected OJs to show up at $6-8 each (silly, I know, but that is so often the case).

Oh, and the pool is great. One of the oldest indoor pools in the country - it's clean and beautiful, lit by windows in a two-story atrium.

This place is a find. We could not be more happy with our stay and we're already planning to stop again next year.

Room Tip: The night we stayed, porch rooms ran about $50 more than non-porch rooms. The porch is beautiful an...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank bearpoint
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Bedford Springs Resort, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
We are so glad that your family decided to take a break from your long drive to spend a night at the Omni Bedford Springs. Thank you for sharing all of your kind words about your experience and we look forward to welcoming you back!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (528)
Reviewed November 29, 2012

We had our wedding at the resort in November and had the time of our lives. Megan, our wedding coordinator was truly amazing! She was kind, responsive and super helpful. From our menu tasting at the chef's table to our presidential suite upgrade...we felt like celebrities! Consider the resort for a wedding cake. We had burnt sugar cake with brown butter salted caramel mousse...delicious! VIP treatment continued into our mini-moon for three days after the wedding.The spa and Bedford baths are amazing. We had dinner in both the Crystal Room and 1796, both of which were outstanding. They were decorating for Christmas while we were there and it looked gorgeous. We may postpone anniversary trips until after the decor is up! My husband and I had the time of our lives and I am looking forward to spending future anniversaries at the Springs!

• Stayed November 2012
We are thrilled that we could be a part of your special day and we are grateful for your kind words about Megan and our resort. It would be a pleasure for us to welcome you back for many future anniversaries!
Noank, Connecticut
Reviewed November 26, 2012

This was our second visit to the Omni, and once again, it did not disappoint. We have family in the area and spend our Thanksgiving weekend there, and we'll continue to do so for as long as we can!

The resort is truly a great gathering place for families. Even in the colder weather, there is much to do. Amazing indoor pool, hiking, puzzles and checkers in the lobby, and a pool table in the tavern. We even braved the evening's cold temperatures to enjoy s'mores by the fire pit!

We had our 9 yr old and her cousins came every day to visit and hang out at the resort.

We are Omni Select guests and I had a connection with a friend who works for Omni, so we had a room upgrade, which was an incredible suite! It was a beautiful room~ comfy and spacious living area, oversized soaking tub, and a really cozy bedroom. I wish it had been warmer so we could've enjoyed the view from our porch!

My only regret? I still haven't had the time to partake in the spa, which looks amazing!!!

If you want a relaxing experience, and feel as if you are stepping back in time, this resort is for you.

Room Tip: Sign up for Select Guest through Omni~ you may get an upgrade. Also, the spa wing is newer and they...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Bedford Springs Resort, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Thank you for allowing us to become a part of your Thanksgiving tradition. We are thrilled that you enjoyed another holiday with us and we hope that next year you will be able to slip away from the festivities to pamper yourself in the spa. It is an experience you don't want to miss!
Greensburg, PA
Reviewed November 22, 2012

Firstly, overall this was a wonderful, relaxing experience. However, we hit a small snag that is really a disappointment for a place of this calibre. A friend and I signed up for the special package - a weekday deal including room and massages that was literally too good not to book. We booked well in advance - both the package and the spa reservations. The spa - which remains my favorite - had a mix-up with the schedule and I was not taken for my massage at the appointed time. When I inquired - the staff wasn't exactly sure what to do and indicated they thought they took another customer early, but I'd basically need to wait out the hour to see if that was the case. Of course, I was hoping that was the case because I really wanted a massage. My one concern was that my friend was getting her massage and would have to wait an hour for me. Unprovoked by me, the manager of the spa told me she would comp my service (if I could still get the service). Turns out there was a snafu (I actually came to believe that they were short-handed although that's not the excuse they gave me) and I was able to get the service. It was a wonderful massage and they even provided my friend with a glass of wine while she waited. When I exited the spa, the staff once again told me my massage would be complimentary, including gratuity (which I didn't quite believe so I left a 20% tip anyway). When I mentioned to the staff that I was there on a package deal, however, they assured me not to worry - they comped the service and all would be taken care of. I thanked them because I thought they handled the situation very well and in a way I would expect of this resort. However, upon checkout the next day, my bill was not adjusted and the front desk had no knowledge of what had occured at the spa the previous day. They called the spa and no one there knew what was going on either. After a few minutes, the clerk returned and did adjust the bill. Although I'm happy with the final result - and the spa does remain the best I've experienced - I am disappointed with the lack of communication that occurred. Having been here before, I will most definitely return, but I do hope what happened to me doesn't happen to a first time visitor that might not see it the same way. The rest of the stay - room, grounds, food - was all wonderful as usual.

Room Tip: Request the historic wing - I think it has more charm.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
We are so thankful for your understanding regarding your spa experience. We truly regret that we missed the opportunity to provide you a completely hassle free and relaxing experience. We are grateful for your business and look forward to making the third time a charm!
akron
Reviewed November 20, 2012

What does a 150 year old resort, 160 million dollar renovation, and the lovely laurel highlands get you?

The omni bedford springs resort and spa.

Our 5 day stay here literally felt like a 5 day cruise on the titanic. Every little detail from the room to the facilities to the restaurants to the spa were straight out of 1855.

Room grounds and facilities were perfect.

The chefs were fabulous.

The service was white glove all the way.

And if you are willing to drive 45 minutes, sporting clays, horseback riding, golf, fly fishing, hiking, and antiquing are yours to enjoy.

We found the spa to be expensive but worth it. Top3 ever. Nearby nemacolin resort has all the above plus a lot more for the kids to do, but is nowhere equal to the fit, finish, and service.

A great place to escape. 10 presidents agreed.

Negatives? No nightlife. Not a ton for kids on property. A skosh spendy.

We shall return to this quiet haven.

• Stayed November 2012
What a pleasure for us to read your description of your recent stay at the Omni Bedford Springs. Thank you for all of your complimentary words and we look forward to having you return.
Front Royal, Virginia
Reviewed November 17, 2012

We arrived on a Sunday early afternoon. Our room was not yet available, so we took a tour of the grounds. What an incredible place, you can feel the history as you wander through this massive hotel. The style is most defiantly late Victorian with photos of earlier inhabitants on all the walls. The entire place was very clean and had an overall grand feeling. The staff was friendly and always helpful, anything I asked for, no problems. The hotel has a series of hiking trails on site,these leave a lot to be desired. If you like hiking steep trails that go no where, then its fine!The pool was great with almost no one around,lots of towels.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing to celebrate your birthday weekend at the Omni Bedford Springs. We are glad you had a great weekend and were well taken care of by our associates. We hope you will consider us the next time you are in the mood for a getaway!
State College, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 14, 2012

My boyfriend and I went to check out the location for our wedding. The resort is extremely clean and dotted with history throughout. The character is unmatched.

We ate breakfast at Crystal Dining room, the buffet is a good deal. We had dinner at 1796. I had the filet which was amazing. My boyfriend had the seabass which was a little bland. It is a bit pricey. We also went to the tavern for drinks. It is very cozy and all of the food being brought out looked awesome! It is absolutely a better option for a more reasonable meal.

We stayed in the spa wing which had a great view of the fountains and spa lawn. The beds were comfortable and big!!! This is one of the only places I've stayed where I felt like a king size bed was true to size.

The pool looks amazing. We forgot our suits, but would recommend.

The only complaint I have was the front desk staff. They were less than helpful at check-in in regards to getting around the resort etc.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for considering the Omni Bedford Springs for your upcoming nuptials! We are glad you had a good stay but apologize if you weren't treated more warmly by our front desk. We will be sure to share your comments with the manager. We truly hope we will have the opportunity to serve as the backdrop for your magical day!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bedford
Fairfield Inn & Suites Bedford
Holiday Inn Express Breezewood
Motel Town House
Motel Town House
#9 of 10 in Bedford

Been to Omni Bedford Springs Resort? Share your experiences!