“updated gem”

Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Bedford
Plumsteadville, Pennsylvania
“updated gem”
Reviewed August 30, 2012

This old hotel has been very nicely refurbished and appointed. The golf course is a world class course in a beautiful country setting. There are trout streams and very challenging hiking trails as well as a spa available with indoor and outdoor heated pools. The restaurants are very good but could be a bit better considering the prices. It is a wonderfully relaxing place to visit.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (548)
Frederick, MD
Reviewed August 29, 2012

What an amazing jewel in a tiny town. THe hotel and town are rich in history. The hotel is very nice with many amenities - truly a resort-spa. Golf course was not used; the spa was very nice. Restuarants very nice. Wait staff quite accommodating.
There is a daily resort fee. Inside pool and outside pool.
The town has very nice shops to visit and some very nice restuarants as well.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 28, 2012

This hotel is a great value in a stunning facility. The staff are lovely and working very hard to be helpful. You truly get the sense they want you to enjoy your stay. We came many years ago and felt the food needed work. We were totally delighted with the quality and innovation in the menus this time. Each meal was fantastic. A lovely vacation!!

Altoona, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 22, 2012

My husband and I just returned from a one night getaway at Bedford Springs. It was amazing. When making our reservation we mentioned we were coming to celebrate our 1 year wedding anniversary. We went to dinner the night we arrived and when we came back to the room, there was a card and chocolate covered strawberries from the hotel staff. They were delicious! My husband really enjoyed the olympic sized indoor pool, as did I. We will most definitely return again. We did not visit the spa, but I'm assuming it was as nice as the rest of the resort.

1 Thank Amanda L
Alexandria, VA
Reviewed August 21, 2012

I am so pleased with my stay to celebrate my birthday. My girlfriends and I enjoyed the spa, the outdoor pool, our room, the landscaping, and toasting s'mores by the campfire. The staff was so pleasant and they even placed a special birthday cupcake in my room upon my arrival! It's the little things that count and this hotel truly made my birthday one to remember.

• Stayed August 2012
Reviewed August 15, 2012

My wife and Inrecently spent a few days relaxing at the Omni Bedford Springs resort. For being over 200 years old, this resort is stunningly beautiful, clean, and luxurious. The staff were attentive and friendly, as one would expect from am Omni. Our room was extremely clean , comfortable, and beautiful. The mix of history, modern convenience, and luxury are hard to beat. Top it off with spectacular service, and this resort is unparalleled. Thank you Omni, for a spectacular and relaxing few days.

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank Jyoungblood
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 14, 2012

My wife and three kids brought me here for Father's Day weekend (spoiled my secret plan to bring them here for a getaway...)

We stayed in a pair of rooms in the Spa Wing. Rooms were nice, clean, and modern. One room had a really nice balcony (shared with the next room, which was a bit strange, but not a problem). The other room had a door that opened to the outside, but with a rail instead of a balcony. Both had very nice views of the mountainside. (I'd avoid rooms with a view of the back, unless the view's unimportant.)

We ate all meals at the resort, and the food was uniformly good - with a few exceptionally good dishes (tavern? fries and a fondue-type appetizer). Pennsylvania Dutch chili was also very good. The draft root beer ("1919" brand?) was really good.

After dark, the firepit was lit, and we all made smores (the resort sells a 'smores kit,' and one was waiting for each of us in our rooms when we arrived - might have been part of a package, though). Since the weather was still a bit nippy in the evenings (several degrees cooler than Philadelphia area), it was a fun time.

The indoor, spring-fed pool was a bit chilly but refreshing. Outdoor pool was nice. If you're into golf (we're not), the course looks really nice, and it makes spectacular scenery from the hotel (especially from the outdoor pool area). Other activities that I saw were bicycling and Segway outings (we didn't do either), croquet and horseshoes on the big front lawn, and a pond in which my kids fished (was full of hungry fish).

The resort is in a rural, mountainous area, and was really relaxing. It's not the sort of destination where you ought to go to be "active," though. Folks who want or need to do something constantly might find the place a little dull. Great for relaxing, though, which was our goal. (Mission accomplished)

All of the staff were super-friendly and helpful. Two 'extra' activities that we enjoyed a lot were:
- the historic tour of the hotel (lasted about an hour, mostly interesting stories in a few different rooms) and
- 'cooking lesson' (? can't recall the name of the activity) with the kitchen staff - we learned their ways to make crab soup, a tenderloin steak with a delicious sauce, and a berry-custard dessert. Sparkling wine was served, too. (I'd go again just for the cooking lesson.)

The resort was easy to reach from the PA Turnpike. Parking was easy - despite being behind the resort, the bellhops quickly retrieved the car each time.

I would have liked to walk the mountain trails a bit more than we did. I was a little disappointed that most of the historic springs were producing little or no surface water (not the resort's fault, obviously).

Overall, I'd say that this is a nice place for a slow, relaxing weekend, with good food and friendly people.

Room Tip: Spa Wing rooms were very nice, but didn't seem particularly "historic." I'll prob...