“Clean and neat, no frills 50s motel” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Judy's Motel PA Dutch Heritage

Judy's Motel PA Dutch Heritage
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Bedford
Annandale, Virginia
“Clean and neat, no frills 50s motel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2011

I stayed one night at Judy's Motel on 22 June 2011. I found the complex to be pretty well kept up, the room neat and clean, newly painted and I felt safe. This is a no-frills place, just the basic motel furniture, and TV with about 50 channels and a coffee maker. I believe they also offer Internet access but I did not use that. There is soap and shampoo in the shower (which has great water pressure) but no other toiletries, hair dryer or ironing board. There was a nice quilt on my bed. I believe all the rooms have attractive quilts on the beds. The motel looks like it was built in the 50s. It could use a little sprucing up. The tub in the bathroom looked a little worn and just replacing the tub and tile around it would have gone a long way to help the place along but it is very clean and I felt safe which was the main factor for me. The A/C worked well for me. I found the bed firm but comfortable. I paid $40 a night. The owners live on the premises and you have the feeling they know everything that that is going on in their motel. Their small lobby has brochures of nearby attractions. I talked to both owners, a middle-aged married couple who have apparently managed the motel for some time. The wife is very talkative, warm and friendly, the man, not so much so. He is more business-like, polite and efficient but not especially warm. When I checked in, he showed me where to park, and showed me how things worked around the room which was a nice gesture.

The only beef that I have is that they have a huge AAA approved sign in front of the motel, which as the owner told me two times, he pays over $900 for the inspection a year. This may put him in the AAA travel book, and help draw in travelers, but he does not offer the AAA discount which I think is deceiving for travelers. I thought all places that state AAA approval and inspection have to offer the discount; I guess not in this case. At only $40 a night for a single, (it's a little more for two people) this is probably the cheapest place in town so I did not make an issue of it, but still, I feel when you use their advertising and have the inspection (which he does pay for) they should offer the discount.

I would say if you want a no frills, clean and safe place to stay, I would stay here. It is also convenient to the center of town, only minutes away. They have an excellent website, check it out and you can see what each room looks like. This was a big drawing factor for me.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank VAvisitor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Atlantic City
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2011

We decided to try Judy's because we read good reviews and were looking for an inexpensive place to stay for one night. We got a room with two double beds for just over $50. The positives: The room was clean and the beds comfortable. The husband & wife team that runs the motel were very friendly and attentive. The air conditioner worked very well. We were told thay had free WiFi, but we didn't try to use it, so I can't comment on it's quality. The just OK: Because the motel is almost like a bed and breakfast, in that it is run by a resident couple, there are no check-ins past 10 PM, so make sure you will arrive prior to 10 before you plan to stay there. To adjust the air conditioner, you have to climb up onto a chair to reach it. The remote for the TV only worked when you held it directly in front of the TV. The room was more than a little cramped. The negatives: The tile in the bathroom was vintage 1955 and the bathtub was only about 4 feet long, so an adult couldn't actually take a bath. The shower controls were not scald proof, so if someone else in the hotel turned on the cold water, you got scalded. Overall, it was just OK for what we spent.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Elman1952
Mechanicsville, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2011

We opted for a cheap motel after seeing how expensive Omni Springs is. Judy's is just a short drive to Omni Springs. As other reviews said, Judy's husband is a bit odd and doesn't seem to care for younger couples, but Judy was very nice. It's an outdated hotel, but what can you ask for at this price? I'd recommend it if you're looking for somewhere simple to stay for one night. Seemed clean enough - didn't see any issues. Use your AAA discount if you have it.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank TravelinFoolinMD
USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2010

Superb motel just a bit West of noisy Breezewood and 2 miles South of Interstate 76, on the northern edge of old historic Bedford Village. We often make long hauls from midwest to East Coast, and need an overnight at low $$$. Judy's the place. 50 channel TV and free wireless. Enough change to get a great breakfast at nearby diner. Plenty of hot water. Not a resort, but who needs a resort for an overnight stop?

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2010

Location-wise it was close to, and very easy to get on and off, the interstate highway and very easy to find.

The motel was quite quaint and presentable. The room was economical and basic, but very very clean, and nicely decorated with fresh paint. Furniture was nice. The matress was quite frim but very comfortable and appeared to be fairly new. The whole room had a clean and fresh look.

Upon arrival, was met by the owner, a pleasant and affable fellow, who quickly checked us in. He then escorted us to the room, opened the door for us, and helped carry our lugagge into the room. He then showed us the room and explained all the features.

The bathroom was clean but old and dated with some moldy stains around the tub caulking that needs to be redone. All in all we have never received such good treatment at any hotel, much less at an economical motel. And to top it off, when we left at 4:45 a.m. he came out to the parking lot in his pajamas to bid us farewell and thank us for being his guest!!!! That's just too much, we are not used to such good and hospitable service!

The owner recommended a restaurant "Ed's Steakhouse" that is a favorite with locals. We were there on a Wednesday night and they had all the fried fish (haddock) you could eat with two side for $9! It was very good! There were quite a few eateries within a mile or so of the motel including Hoss's Restaurant, McDonalds and Burger king.

We plan to stay there again on our way back home. Anyone needing an economical, clean, and pleasant place to spend the night should try this motel.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
sterling,va
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2010

It was a nice motel that we stayed at on our way up to Niagara falls. It was good for a night and the manager was very nice and brought the kids lollipops in the morning. Cheap and clean they do the basics right.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Coldwater
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2010

Great location that is quiet and peaceful. Very clean room with comfortable beds. The manager, Bill, always checked on us to be sure we were happy with our stay. He let us know where to go for site seeing and eat. He was extremely friendly. My 81 year old mother just loved Bill. She named him her "landlord". And she loved how good he was to us during our stay. We enjoyed Judy's Motel so much on the trip out, that we made it a point to stay there on our return trip. We will make sure to stay there again on our next trip out that way.

• Stayed April 2010
1 Thank franfran42
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bedford
Quality Inn Bedford
#7 of 10 in Bedford
Quality Inn Breeze Manor
Quality Inn Breeze Manor
#2 of 8 in Breezewood

Been to Judy's Motel PA Dutch Heritage? Share your experiences!