“Unexpected Surprise”

Ranked #1 of 5 Bedford B&B and Inns
Tonawanda, New York
“Unexpected Surprise”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

My wife and I took a casual trip back home from Virginia and landed up looking for a place to stay in a small town that we never heard of in Pennsylvania called Bedford. We decided to stay at the Golden Eagle Inn and we were glad that we did. The owners Mary Jane and Tom are kind and friendly people and fall all over you to make your experience as comfortable and pleasant as possible. The room was spacious, clean and comfortable. For us, staying there was an unexpected surprise and the highlight of our trip.

1 Thank Gary A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Morgantown, West Virginia
Reviewed August 11, 2013

My wife and I travel a good bit to small towns looking for antiques and other collectibles. We stumbled by accident on the Golden Eagle Inn and decided to stay there. Our room was on the second floor up a beautiful old staircase. The room was spacious well appointed and had a private bath. We decided to eat dinner in their dining room and were shocked to find that they had two trained chefs on staff and that everything on the menu was scratch-made. My wife and I ordered pulled pork egg rolls as our appetizer and were surprised when the waitress brought out the crispy eggrolls with apple slaw and this sumptuous tangy sauce. We then were served two green salads that looked as if they were just picked from our garden back home. My wife ordered a house made sweet bleu cheese dressing for her salad and I ordered their house-made balsamic dressing. The dressings were out of this world!

My wife ordered the crab cakes for her entree and I ordered the hanger steak. My wife usually lathers her crab cakes with tartar sauce, but not this time....she said that they were so good that they didn't need anything......they were perfect. I had never had a hanger steak before, but the waitress, (a true delight) told me to order it medium rare and she was right. The steak almost melted in my mouth.

Normally we aren't dessert people, but the waitress told us that we had to try these cream puff looking things that were filled with vanilla ice cream. Well.....she was right my wife and I inhaled all three.....they were delicious.

After dinner, we took a stroll down the river walk at the suggestion of Mary Jane and Tom (the owners) before retiring for the night. Our room was quiet and comfortable. When we awoke on Sunday morning we were served brunch on the porch. My wife's crab omelette came with corn relish, goat cheese, and scallion potato hash. My buckwheat pancakes came with grilled peaches and vanilla syrup. I added an order of their country sausage as a side. My wife raved about the omelette all the way back home.

We may not get back to Bedford soon, but we'll sure recommend this place to other collectors like us.

Room Tip: The Anderson room is really nice.