“Pretty place”
Review of Bird's Nest Cafe

Bird's Nest Cafe
Ranked #6 of 49 Restaurants in Bedford
Reviewed June 15, 2014

Good variety of menu choices and friendly staff. Enjoyed the ambiance and the food. Would go back there again.

Reviewed June 10, 2014 via mobile

Out of towners discovering a small business atmosphere. Just had an awesome breakfast! Everything was fresh right down to the bread! Get meats from a local farm and I'm sure the eggs are too. Had a fussy 1 yr old and they were gracious to provide toast and jelly. Definitely recommend this small town restaurant. It's a bakery as well! Only wish they served dinner! Wish they had more of these types of business!

Reviewed June 5, 2014

Wife's club ate there -- $25 for spaghetti or crab cakes or chicken or 4 kabobs-- served lots of vegetables w/ the meal + dessert. On other occasions wait way too long which they attempt to justify by saying all is prepared just for you -- beginning, I suppose, w/ picking the spaghetti from the spaghetti trees or butchering the steer.

Reviewed April 20, 2014

My wife and I visited this place for lunch midweek during a visit to the area, and we're glad we did. The lunch menu is soup-and-sandwich intensive, and they do not disappoint. In addition to the lunch menu, there was an assortment of baked goods on display to the side. This was a huge temptation naturally, and as the place wasn't busy, our waitress took the time to explain many of the goodies that were there. We wound up taking a bunch of stuff back to our hotel room to sample for dessert. However, I'm getting a little ahead of myself.

The cafe itself is a small place that looks bigger on the outside because of the adjacent bakery taking up storefront space. We were invited to sit wherever we liked, and as we did we were informed about the specials and the soups. The Bird's Nest is a place where nearly everything is made in-house, and they're willing to let you know when something is not.

The cafe has a homespun look about it, with wood floors and fixtures, and almost-matching furniture within. In addition, there's an old-fashioned cash register at the counter which is typical of the decor.

I had the chicken salad sandwich and a cup of their cream of potato soup, my wife had a cup of the tomato basil soup. Now, "cream of potato" suggests something with the approximate consistency of New England Clam Chowder, but this wasn't the case here. It was a thinner broth with big chunks of potato and celery, and was very tasty. The tomato basil was also very good, with neither flavor overpowering the other. Given a choice between the two, it'd be a tough one but I'm leaning toward the tomato basil at this point. My chicken salad was delicious, and served on home-baked multigrain bread (several types of bread were available; this was my choice), with potato chips on the side.

As noted above, we did wind up with quite the sample of the baked goods. There were something like five different pies available, but we bypassed those in favor of a slice of the Bee-sting cake and an assortment of cookies. The Bee-sting Cake is a layer cake with a coarse texture. It looks dense, but is surprisingly light, especially considering that it's been infused with rum. The filling between the layers is custard, and the cake is topped with a whipped cream topping that's been drizzled with honey. It's a little on the pricey side but definitely worth it. We also sampled several different cookies, including lemon drops, peanut butter cookies, sugar shuttles (bar-shaped sugar cookies), and a couple of others that escape my memory at the moment. There was another pastry that was identified to us as Napoleon's Hats, which I guess is a Pennsylvania version of Hamentaschen, with a fruit filling that had something else--cream cheese? inside it as well. All of the cookies were very tasty and very light as well. We liked them enough that we came back on our last day in the area to take a bunch home. Incidentally, we'd picked up enough cookies that the server threw in a couple of extras to round it out to a dozen, because it was a little cheaper that way.

I've seen places like this which were a lot more precious and also a lot more expensive. This was a happy little surprise. If you live in the area it's probably a good idea to "like" their page on Facebook, since they seem to be pretty good about keeping their specials and their soup menu updated.

Definitely worth a visit.

Reviewed March 17, 2014

Although we live in the area, we treated ourselves to a weekend at Bedford Springs. We stopped in the Bird's Nest for breakfast as well as lunch the next day. I found this a homey, inviting spot. We were happy with our omlets for breakfast. Having a sweet tooth their bakery next door was a big bonus! I especially loved the sugar shuttles - a sugar cookie shaped kinda like a cigar and the buckeyes - a chocolate base sweet with peanut butter center. Plus I got extra treats to take back to my room! We will be back to try the dinner menu.

Been to Bird's Nest Cafe? Share your experiences!