“Hidden Gem”

National Museum of the American Coverlet
Ranked #5 of 16 things to do in Bedford
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: NMAC is the only full-time, year-round, independent institution devoted to the display, preservation and study of (antique) American woven coverlets. The Museum is open seven days a week. Each visitor is given a personal tour.Currently, the (400-plus) collection includes coverlets made between 1771 and 1889. Exhibitions change periodically. Generally there are about 50 coverlets on display along with "period" beds and bedding, and spinning and weaving equipment including looms and a (rare) Jacquard head. We are located in a former Common School building (dating to 1859) in the historic district of downtown Bedford, PA.
Hermitage, Pennsylvania
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2013

I love finding small museum such as this one - and as a 19th century historian, this place was amazing. The staff was welcoming and willing to share their vast knowledge. The exhibits were interesting and displayed well. I cannot recommend this place enough for anyone who enjoys material culture and history.

Visited December 2013

Fredericksburg, Virginia
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Incredibly interesting visit!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

My wife and I were in Bedford for our anniversary, and stayed directly across the street from the Coverlet Museum. I had mentioned visiting the museum since the reviews were off the charts. After looking for other things to do, we decided to give the museum a try. We were greeted by one of the caretakers and tour guides; an older gentleman from Hungary. He ended up being such a delightful man with a great sense of humor. He was such an amazing tour guide with tons of information on coverlets. Now, I'm not normally interested in textiles and such things. However, I'm a web developer, and I do know that punch cards are the early beginnings of computers. He talks extensively about the development of the punch card system and how that is directly related to weaving and coverlets. I was so impressed by the presentation. If you're anywhere near Bedford, this place has to be on your list of stops.

Visited November 2013
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“Hmm, A Coverlet Museum?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

While researching activities in Bedford I found a listing for this museum. I was in Bedford for the Fall Foliage Festival and had time to visit the museum. Fortunately, I had a private tour with a very knowledgeable guide who seemed to know EVERYTHING about the coverlets and how they were made. The coverlets themselves were so intricate. For pieces that were 150 years or more old, the colors were bright. I appreciated the displays that showed the same pattern done in different colors. I found out that they displays change. I'm thinking of a return trip to see the next display. The museum is within a few blocks of downtown Bedford.

Visited October 2013
Lansdowne,PA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“An Amazing Gem worth more Attention”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

We visited the "National Museum of the American Coverlet" in Bedford, PA on Oct 12 2013, during Bedford's Fall Foliage festival. We were amazed. Here is a museum to an art form that flourished in America from the 1700's to 1860. They have beautiful examples of the woven marvels. The change the display four time a year because they can show all they have at once and also have exhibitions of private collections at different times.

It is a must see from those interested in early American craftsmanship.
The guides are extremely knowledgeable and excellent presenters.
It was well worth the ten dollar admission.

We will be going back again!

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Patravler56
seattle wa
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Hidden Treasure of Cultural History”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

My travel partners and I learned of this gem through our B & B hostess in town. We ambled down through the main streets of Bedford PA until we reached the National Museum of Coverlets. Amazing! I am sure many of you as have I seen coverlets but really never knew of their history and the value of these treasures that are in so many of our homes. Our guide, a kindly gentlemen, Lazlo, shared many interesting points of how the coverlet came to be over time and the introduction of the punch card system by Jacquard, which in turn became the basis of many of our beginning computer programs. It is a small museum hosted by a charming couple who have the desire to spread the word on coverlets. Their gift shop has many items to take home as gifts or memory keepsakes. It is well worth the time to visit.

Visited September 2013