“Nice if your into coverlets”

National Museum of the American Coverlet
Ranked #5 of 17 things to do in Bedford
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: NMAC is the only full-time, year-round, independent institution devoted to the display, preservation and study of (antique) American woven coverlets. The Museum is open seven days a week. Each visitor is given a personal tour.Currently, the (400-plus) collection includes coverlets made between 1771 and 1889. Exhibitions change periodically. Generally there are about 50 coverlets on display along with "period" beds and bedding, and spinning and weaving equipment including looms and a (rare) Jacquard head. We are located in a former Common School building (dating to 1859) in the historic district of downtown Bedford, PA.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“Nice if your into coverlets”
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Took the wife here and it has many beautiful displays and the history is interesting. The missus enjoyed it a lot beacuse she is into this kind of thing, but it is nicely done.

Visited October 2011

19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Fascinating”
Reviewed August 25, 2012

This museum was well worth the time. They have over 1000 coverlets that they rotate on display. The gentleman who gave the tour was knowledgeable and very nice. A bonus is you can purchase coverlets made on old-time looms for a very reasonable price.

Visited August 2012
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“educational”
Reviewed May 18, 2012

very interesting, guide was extremely knowledgeable

Visited May 2012
Bucks County, Pennsylvania
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 131 helpful votes
“What a Show!”
Reviewed May 4, 2012

I took my wife to the National Coverlet Museum because, well, that's the kind of thing she's into. As it was her birthday, I went along figuring if I gritted my teeth hard enough it would be okay. When we drove up and saw its location in a gloomy former school building, my heart sank even further.

After that, it was actually pretty interesting even for me, and a delight for my wife. The older Hungarian gentleman who runs the place is a grand raconteur, along with the obvious skill of knowing the überspecialized history of coverlets inside out. It was a slow day, so we got a personal tour that ran for hours because both my wife and I found it to be fascinating in large part because it was so interestingly presented. The "first digital computer" is one of the exhibits, and it's for real: an ancient coverlet machine that used the first punch cards, like mainframes relied on before around 1980.

Bottom line, if you or somebody with you has any interest in historic textiles, go. There's simply nothing else quite like it in the world.

Visited March 2012
4 Thank Cochon
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Really neat place!”
Reviewed April 17, 2012

We spent about an hour in the Coverlet Museum. It is a small museum but packed with beautiful american made coverlets. Our tour guide was extremely knowledgable about the coverlets and answered all of our questions. I would definately go again to see what else they add in future.

Visited April 2012