“Who knew!”

The Historic Lincoln Highway
Ranked #2 of 16 things to do in Bedford
Reviewed May 17, 2012

Historic, pleasant drive! A relative even stayed at the Lincoln Highway cottages--very rustic and cute!

2  Thank Carol J

Reviewed May 16, 2012

The views from the mountain tops are amazing but it's not recommended to get great gas mileage.

1  Thank Penlady
Reviewed May 4, 2012

We took the Lincoln Highway one day as part of an excursion, with some sightseeing detouring, to the Flight 93 Memorial and Fallingwater. This was the very beginning of May, with leaves only partially out, so views were relatively unobstructed by leafy trees; yet, there was enough green in the trees that it didn't look bleak.

What we saw were lots of pretty valleys and hillside views, along with a taste of the traditional unpretentious hinterland of central Pennsylvania. California's Pacific Highway it's not, but it still is worth taking if you're somewhere in that vicinity anyway or are veterans of Route 66 trips.

2  Thank Cochon
Reviewed March 19, 2012

Loved the sights along the road. Great to travel without any traffic. Windmills, Old cemetaries, just wonderful country and views!

1  Thank Wally B
Reviewed October 8, 2009

I wanted to experience driving across an historic highway, but only had time for a daytrip..luckily I live in Central PA and live near Route 30 aka The Historic Lincoln Highway. I drove out to Bedfors on the PA Turnpike which took about an hour and a half- a very easy drive.

Since this was my first visit to Bedford, I started off at the tourist office, which had your expected books, gifts and brochures and maps. It was very easy to find, since the signs throughout town took me right to the doorsteps.

I ended up with a great parking space downtown near all the cute little shops and took a nice walk aroung the downtown before deciding on where to eat.

The Green Harvest Company -which features organic, locally grown foods and has a creative and interesting meal selections along with a large coffee and beverage bar. Everything was delicious and it gave me a good spot to check out all my brochures and plan the rest of my day.

One of the places I had to make sure I got to was The National Museum of the American Coverlett which is dedicated to the American Coverlett. Now I am not sure I had stopped here if I had my kids with me -they are touchers-I would highly recommend it to people with older children. I am interested in old fabics, clothing and how these things are made. It was facinating to learn how the coverletts were made and the people at the museum were beyond nice, helpful and knowledgeable. They also have a fantastic gift shop with items and fabrics produced especially for them.

Route 30 was next! I drove out 30 to the west to the top of the mountain where you could see PA, MD and WV from the same vantage point. the drive up was a little scary and I had to go beyond where I wanted to be to turn around so I could park near the overlook. But the views were stunning and I was so glad that I had decied to drive all the way up there.

On the way back toward Bedford, I passed a Buffalo Farm which had buffalos that you could see in the field as well as a gift shop that also offered buffalo meat. Across the highway from the farm was an awesome mural on a barn -it seems the barn has been there for years and the mural paid homage to Rt. 30's past.

Also at the Buffalo Farm was the first of many old-school gas tanks that the State of PA has turned into mini-murals. These gas tanks are made to feature something of importance in PA history. This one had a Native American on it. The PA Tourist Bureau also set up along the way, "cut out forms" that you can stand behind and have your picture taken with.

I passed many of the covered bridges that Bedford County has to offer near Shawnee State Park, which is also where I stopped for a snack the cutest little ice cream spot.

Going back into town I wanted to make sure I saw (one of) Bedford's claims to fame. The Coffee Pot". This was so cool!! It was a builing in the shape of a coffee pot that had been used in the past as a bar and a resturant. I woud have loved to have gone inside-but it was closed. Very near there is the 1930's Art Deco Garage/Gas Station which the guidebook said was a very popular spot on the highway in years past and it still looked very cool and hip.

The town of Bedford was adorable, friendly and welcoming with something new to do around every corner. I will be going back, since I did not get to do everything on the list!

17  Thank cottagefunk