“Instant Mashed Potatoes-Beware”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Instant Mashed Potatoes-Beware”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I had a weekend get-away planned since July and at the last minute my friend couldn't come so I was traveling alone. I ended up here for dinner on a Sunday afternoon around 4:00. I was shown to a booth in a room just off the lobby area. I was the only person in the room. I placed my drink order and headed to the ladies room. I walked through a bustling bar with TVs and a dining area. Back to my table and another single diner is seated. Then a couple who weren't saying much to each other and then another single diner. Is this the single diner dumping ground? With no diners talking, I had plenty of opportunity to hear all about the hostess' or cashier's contractions, her trip to the hospital and her cervix that wasn't dilated. I get that this is the most important thing in her life, but as a stranger, I didn't want to hear about it as I ate. This brings me to the meal. The salad was your standard iceberg with shredded carrots and red cabbage, red onion rings and croutons. It was fresh and crispy and a good size. I ordered one of the specials, the filet tips. They were well cooked and tasty. Because I never make them at home, I ordered garlic mashed potatoes. They tasted like instant mashed. When the waitress came back, I said as much. She said they probably were. When she came to clear plates, she saw that I didn't eat them and she offered another side which I declined. The dessert I chose from the specials list was a spiced pumpkin cake which was very moist and tasty with a smooth cream cheese frosting. When I went to pay, I the cashier asked how I enjoyed my meal. Once again, I mentioned the potatoes. She confirmed that they were instant and that they fix them up with butter and garlic. Butter and powdered garlic do not improve instant mashed potatoes. And again I said how bad they were. I did not get an I'm sorry you didn't enjoy them, nothing. I just wouldn't expect a steak place with a $26 steak on the menu to serve instant mashed potatoes. I enjoyed my visit to Bedford and will be back in the area again, but Ed's Steakhouse will not be on the itinerary.

• Visited October 2013
5 Thank AuntieFlo

Flemington, New Jersey, USA
“A Great Local Find”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

It is becoming so hard to find a quality, relaxing place for dinner along any major highway. We took a chance and tried Ed's Steakhouse, and we enjoyed it so much it is now programmed into our GPS!

The food was well prepared, the service was cordial and friendly, and the prices are extremely reasonable for the value they provided.

Rib steak was beautifully charred and flavorful. Home fries were crisp, and the salad was very fresh. They even bake their own bread!

Don;t even think about passing on dessert- cheesecake was heavenly!

My wife and I will be making the trip to/from Cincinatti a lot and we will plan to return to Ed's again and again.

• Visited October 2013
“Terrible service! Possibly worst hostess ever!”
Reviewed September 27, 2013

We went to Ed's Steakhouse with a party of 7 for dinner. The 2 hostesses were possibly the rudest restaurant employees we have ever encountered. We left and want to the Carriage House were the service was much better. Ed's lost a long term customer today.

• Visited September 2013
5 Thank Lesliecurran
West Chester, Pennsylvania
“Just OK”
Reviewed September 27, 2013

This restaurant is just ok. The selection is extensive, delivery on quality spotty. The side vegitables were soggy and tasteless, and the wings were average. Service in our area was slow and the waitress could not give descriptions of the food. Go if you need a convenient place near the Fairfield Inn but keep your expecations lower.

Visited September 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
“Never again...”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

At the hotel's suggestion, we decided to try Ed's even though I read other reviews that were not quite so flattering. There were only three cars in the parking lot (should have been my first clue, right?) so after a few silent minutes while the staff finished what must have been a terribly engrossing conversation, we were finally greeted and sat. The decor is okay I guess, faux granite top tables, paper napkins and tvs everywhere. Very nice if there is a game you don't want to miss I guess.

I ordered "Ed's Rib Steak" with a baked potato and french onion soup. The bread was just okay and was dropped at the table with no mention of butter. We were just about to ask for it when realized that the butter was actually at the far end of the table in packets, much like a diner. Fancy right? The soup came first and was such a disappointment as I LOVE french onion soup. It was clearly just dehydrated onions (think Lipton onion soup packets.) soaked in chicken broth with some kind of a white cheese on top. Not what I would expect at a restaurant. The baked potato was just a dry potato wrapped in foil with a side of sour cream. Again I visited the lonely aforementioned butter.

Now the steak...sigh, so sad. To be clear, I LOVE ribeye steaks, the main reason I love them is all the marbling...that is the point of a ribeye steak and it is the only kind of steak I order or cook...ever. That said, this steak was at least 50% fat (50% FAT isn't marbling) and very under cooked. I asked for the temp to be medium, which should be warm and pink throughout, in my case the cow was practically still grazing, seriously, I think I saw a hoof.

The fact that it was under cooked coupled with the massive amount of inedible fat and the fact that it was cold, made this meal completely unenjoyable and a waste of money. We ended up at the McDonald's up the road shortly thereafter because at least we'd know what to expect. If you want steak DO NOT GO HERE, they do NOT do it well and after all isn't that the point of a steak house?

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank sosidity

Been to Ed's Steakhouse? Share your experiences!