“Surprisingly good!”
Review of Jean Bonnet Tavern

Jean Bonnet Tavern
Ranked #2 of 49 Restaurants in Bedford
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Historic landmark located in a 250+ year-old stone building. Slow roasted Prime Rib, house-made Crab Cakes, fresh baked breads, desserts made from scratch and fresh local ingredients make us a popular dining destination. 18 beers on tap, featuring Pennsylvania craft brewed beers.
Reviewed July 15, 2010

I was visiting my grandparents in Bedford for the weekend, and they took us here. I wasn't expecting much because Bedford Pennsylvania is far from the culinary capital of the world, but was pleasantly surprised. I ordered the veal strips over linguine and white wine cream sauce topped with crab and shrimp. The flavors were great and the veal was cooked perfectly. My husband and my grandpa both ordered the duck; it was one of the specials. The duck was perfectly cooked and it was topped with this savory yet sweet raspberry glaze. I was jealous and almost wished I had ordered it. My grandma ordered another special, balsamic glazed chicken. She DOES NOT share her food, but she said it was delicious.

I really enjoyed the atmosphere. Something about the smell of a wood stove makes me feel warm and fuzzy. I could see how some could complain because there are no windows and it does seem slightly basement-y but the history is really interesting. Our waitress was wonderful and the food was done fast, almost too fast. I had barely touched my salad and my entree was out.

The price was the only thing that was a slight downside. It was $100 not including tip for the four of us and we had no appetizers or alcoholic beverages. While I do not mind paying this for a meal at all, for the area, this is pretty expensive.

Reviewed July 4, 2010

We went to this place during our stay at the Omni Bedford Springs (awesome place), and we were NOT disappointed. The menu is ambitious and the presentation of the food is lacking, but the overall taste of everything we ate was very good. Additionally, they have a truly wonderful local (PA) beer selection, which really adds well to the historic-PA ambiance of the century-old tavern. I am a food snob, but I loved this place and definitely plan to go back next time we visit the Omni for more spa and golf!

Reviewed June 22, 2010

I really like the Jean Bonnet. There is a nice bar and you can even stay in the bed and breakfast. The only thing I did not like about it was the waitress. She was very rude and snotty, although all of the other waitresses seemed very nice. The salmon was very good.

Reviewed May 21, 2010

I notice a lot of negative comments about the food at the Jean Bonnet. I would not go into this establishment with the mindset that you are going to get a gourmet meal. It’s definitely a step above bar food but not quite the meal you would get at a 5 star restaurant. My husband and I had the steak and we thought it was very good. Bottom line, you’ll get a decent meal in a really neat building! My husband and I stayed overnight in one of the rooms upstairs and it was AWESOME! The staff goes above and beyond the call of duty to make you feel comfortable. It was fun to read the journals in our room about the ghosts! Very cool!

Reviewed April 21, 2010

This is our second time back to the Tavern and again we totally enjoyed our experience. Both times we have eaten upstairs and not at a busy time but our service has been excellent and the food very good. We have only gotten soup and great sandwiches so I can only speak to those items but the chowder was excellent, hearty and tasty and this last time they had a carrot/ginger soup that was bowl scraping good. I love the historic aspect of this place and while I do agree that the downstairs is dark, I have been in restaurants in Williamsburg that are also in old tavern basements and find them quite charming...this is not luxury, this is authentic or as authentic as it can be hundreds of years after it was built!