“Lovely atmosphere”
Review of Jean Bonnet Tavern

Jean Bonnet Tavern
Ranked #2 of 49 Restaurants in Bedford
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Historic landmark located in a 250+ year-old stone building. Slow roasted Prime Rib, house-made Crab Cakes, fresh baked breads, desserts made from scratch and fresh local ingredients make us a popular dining destination. 18 beers on tap, featuring Pennsylvania craft brewed beers.
Reviewed December 15, 2013

This place was great - the dining room is located in the basement and it has everything you want from a colonial era tavern: stone walls, massive fireplace, amazing food. I'll definitely be back.

Reviewed December 1, 2013

If it's your first time dining here, I highly recommend that you dine in the dining room downstairs. It's a wonderful atmosphere, especially if the fireplace is burning. A wonderful selection of craft beers. The surf and turf burger is excellent. I've dined here many times, and my meals and service have always been top notch. If you're planning on stopping for dinner on the weekend, I would make a reservation.

1  Thank Tom K
Reviewed November 18, 2013

I was visiting Bedford for a couple of days and was taken to the Jean Bonnet Tavern just prior to returning home. The building is full of history and has an "old" feel to it (it's not overly renovated to merely "look" old) but is clean and very well maintained. I was part of a large group during lunch time on a Sunday afternoon. The manager helped us accommodate the entire group and made sure our visit was pleasant.

The food took a while to be served, but being very busy and the various things that are unique to the restaurant (servers have to carry large trays up stairs due to the design of the building) it was not a long wait. I have no complaints about the food, service, or appearance of the tavern. I was treated to a tour of the building including a handful of the rooms and felt connected to the building and its history. This place seems like a local favorite and I've learned a long time ago that the locals know the right place to eat.

1  Thank BrianParsons
Reviewed November 14, 2013

Jean Bonnet has a nice selection of beers and a menu for everyone. The staff was really nice and helpful. The food was great. Definitely an improvement from my last visit.

1  Thank JT955
Reviewed November 13, 2013

We've been making a effort to eat here for a number of years when driving back home from the East Coast, but our last visit was a bit of a disappointment. The restaurant was far more crowded than usual and we were seated at a table in close proximity to several other diners rather than in a booth. We were seated immediately by one person, who apparently forgot to tell anyone, especially the server covering our area. After 12 -15 minutes, the person who seated us noticed we had no water & asked if we'd been waited on yet. To which we replied, "no". She said, "I'll get your server." In less than a minute our embarrassed server came over, apologized saying, "I wasn't told that I was to serve you." She introduced herself & from then on did a fine job taking care of us. Call it disorganization or dysfunction, something was different during this lunchtime meal. While we received what we ordered, we noticed several other diners sending their food back to the kitchen. We don't know whether the wrong food was served or the chef hadn't prepared it properly. In all of our 20+ years of eating here, we've never seen it happen - until now. Maybe everyone was having a bad day. My wife enjoyed her butternut soup & French Dip sandwich. I loved my crab corn chowder but found the surf/turf burger a bit of a mis-match of flavors. Next time I'll get my usual crab cake sandwich without the hamburger.