“Great timing, great dinner”
Review of Jean Bonnet Tavern

Jean Bonnet Tavern
Ranked #2 of 49 Restaurants in Bedford
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Bar scene, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Historic landmark located in a 250+ year-old stone building. Slow roasted Prime Rib, house-made Crab Cakes, fresh baked breads, desserts made from scratch and fresh local ingredients make us a popular dining destination. 18 beers on tap, featuring Pennsylvania craft brewed beers.
Reviewed October 24, 2012

"There's a place along the turnpike that looks interesting," my wife answered when I inquired about dinner plans.
Well THAT narrows it down...
We live in the Pittsburgh area and she works from home for a Philadelphia area company so she is back and forth across the PA Turnpike several times a year. Now that our son is attending college out that way, the trips are even more frequent but now she's not alone, not always on the clock and we can explore a bit.
The two of us and our son's girlfriend were heading out on a Friday night from Pittsburgh eastbound and we passed a couple places that could have met her vague description but when we came upon the Jean Bonnet Tavern along Route 30 within view of the pike, I remembered it as well.
It was past peak dinner time so we only had to wait a few minutes for a table. The service was okay - not outstanding - and the atmosphere was VERY cool. I'm a history buff and wish I would've had time to look around.
My wife had a salad and some great soup and girlfriend and I had burgers that were outstanding. The dessert menu looked great, too, but we passed. It would be midnight before we arrived at our destination and if I overstuffed I would've needed some uppers.
If you're looking for a unique place to eat in the middle of nowhere (everywhere between Pittsburgh and Philadelphia is referred to as Pennsyltucky) this is an excellent choice. It will surely be packed during peak travel months/times but they do take reservations. Bedford is a more interesting place to stop than most and much less tacky than Breezewood to the east. We'll hit this place again, I'm sure!

Reviewed October 21, 2012

We like the place. However, it can be overcrowded. They have trouble managing reservations and walk-ins. When crowded, the food and service suffer. They need more staff for peak times. The beer list is tending to wheats. Where are the former porters and lagers?

Reviewed October 19, 2012

We dined on a Wednesday evening. There was a bus group in attendance that almost filled the restaurant but after waiting a few minutes we were able to secure a table. The atmosphere in the lower floor is charming with lighted colonial candles on each table, stone walls, and large rustic beams on the ceiling.
Our waitress was cheerful and efficient. The menu was extensive and the portions just about right. In fact everything about the Tavern was just about right.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

What a disappointment to read pretty good reviews on T/A only to drive out of our way (on our way to Maple Grove, PA via the Penna Turnpike) to get to this place. The greeter at the door asked if we had reservations - we did not - there were plenty of empty tables from what I could see - it was around 6:30 or so on a Friday evening - he seemed to think he could find a spot for us somewhere - and he did - next to the kitchen and restrooms in the bar area up a set of very steep, dark stairs. It was packed in there and very noisy. Our server, Cassie wasn't sure about much of anything, but in her defense she seemed very young and possibly new to her position. We weren't told of any specials, etc. and selected from the menu - beef au jus with sweet potato fries and my husband ordered the asian style chicken salad. We noticed the menu indicated that a steak was in the $28 price range - which seemed high for a bar atmosphere. The drinks were served - my husband had the house cabernet at $7 for a small glass.

The food was served - my husbands salad came on a very warm plate which caused the lettuce to wilt. It was nothing special. My au jus beef was just okay...too much bun...too little beef. I've had better. The sweet potato fries were served with a caramel sauce which was very good. I enjoyed my meal more than my husband. They brought two semi-warmed (possibly in the microwave) dinner rolls with a portion of cinnamon flavored butter or margarine - nothing special there.

It's really too bad about the mediocre food and service. It was difficult to get our wait persons attention to get a second glass of wine - ultimately having to flag someone else down. Also, there was a lot of clatter, noise, etc. from the bar and traffic to/from the kitchen and bathrooms. Near the end of our meal there was another party (some guy) hovering to get our table as he apparently had observed that we had gotten our bill and were finishing up. I didn't appreciate his rudeness - I felt like I was at McDonald's and should move along because he wanted to sit there...sheesh...go stand at the bar already!

I wouldnt' go back...the food was overpriced and nothing to write home about. Cool looking building from the outside...sorry we wasted our time/money on this place.

2  Thank MichiganQui1ter
jbonn, Owner at Jean Bonnet Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2012

Sorry you were disappointed with your experience. October is our busiest month of the year. We recommend reservations for most weekends. The empty tables that you saw were reserved for parties yet to arrive. We strive to make a pleasant dining experience for our guests that leaves them feeling like they got value for their money. We obviously didn't reach our goal with you, but thank you for your feedback. We do use it to try to troubleshoot operational breakdowns and continue to improve!

Reviewed October 6, 2012

Looked forward to eating here during the Fall Folliage Festival. Wasn't crowded like we expected. Our waitress was great but the food was really only mediocre. I had warm Onion Soup that was only okay and a salad with tenderloin on top. The meat was definitely not tenderloin. My husband had the Salmon Salad with only luke warm salmon on top. Have visited Jean Bonnet previously and was not impressed but keep going back because of the atmosphere. Can't say it was horrible but really not an impressive lunch, although prices were okay.

1  Thank sas12715