“Reasonable Prices and a Reliably Good Family Favorite”

Bert's Wooden Indian
Ranked #14 of 44 Restaurants in Beaver
Cuisines: Indian
Reviewed July 25, 2012

I have eaten here since I was in college-almost 40 years ago-and I ate here recently on a trip back home. Some places deal with inconsistency--NOT this one! It hasn't changed in a full generation! But everything tasted as wonderful as I remembered it. Good sandwiches and fries are served up in a basket. I still love the big root beer floats-they're huge and delicious.
All generations should find something to please their palates and prices are very reasonable. A family can afford to eat here.
I have always been irritable with the line one has to stand in to wait to be seated, however. But I guess that shows how popular the place is!! The line moves rather well but don't be surprised if you have to wait about 30-45 minutes at some hours of the day. Perhaps choose an "off" time to expedite the process.
The atmosphere is very quaint--do NOT dress up. In the summer, I almost found the A/C to be too much and at my age, that's unusual--bring a sweater for those sensitive to A/C.
No outdoor seating. Adequate parking lot in front. A bit out of the way on a side street--travelers should perhaps use a GPS device to help with this. But it's worth looking for it!

There are newer reviews for Bert's Wooden Indian

Reviewed July 9, 2012

I grew up in the Youngstown Ohio area and have many fond memories of Bert's Wooden Indian. I used to tag along with my Dad and his friends to the auto races at Heidelberg Speedway in suburban Pittsburgh. I enjoyed being with my Dad, but the best Saturday nights were when the races ended in time for us to get back to Bert's Wooden Indian before they closed (HoJo's by the airport was the late night snack if it was too late). I always ordered a cheeseburger and a basket of fries at Bert's.

I moved to Indianapolis 15 years ago and this past weekend made just my second visit to Bert's since I moved. I had taken my son and niece on a college visit to Pitt and decided that Bert's would be dinner on the way home.

The restaurant looks mostly the same as I recall from 40 years ago - the flat screen TVs are new and so are the restrooms (thank goodness). The menu seems more expansive than I remember but a 12 year-old really only cared about cheeseburgers. Bert is no longer hanging out at the end of the counter, but I mentioned while we were waiting in line (about 10 minutes at 7 p.m. Friday) that the gentleman running the register had to be Bert's son - there was too much resemblance. The menu confirmed Bert's son runs the Wooden Indian now - if it wasn't his son I saw, I would be surprised.

I ordered a beef BBQ and a tossed salad, my son and niece ordered cheeseburgers. We split a large basket of fries. The salad was large, had the basic components. Ample dressing was given on the side - I only used about half of one of the two cups of dressing. I enjoyed the beef BBQ - tender beef and the sauce was really good and not overdone. My niece lives in the area and her cheeseburger was up to standard. My son had ordered an Angus burger and he enjoyed it, but said he enjoyed lunch at Primanti Brothers more.

This trip was more nostalgia for me than food - although I had no complaints with the food. Next time I get the chance, I will probably head back to the Wooden Indian.

Reviewed May 12, 2012

I've eaten at Bert's a number of times. It's a local institution connected with The Wooden Angel which is more formal (and expensive) than Bert's. The menu at this rustic place is extensive, but the offerings are basic: sandwiches, salads, fish and chips, and the like. Service is competent and friendly. Bert's is similar in price and menu offerings to chains such as Applebee's. Vegetarian options are very limited.

1  Thank jsctraveler
Reviewed April 13, 2012

I took my youngest son, 2 grandsons and my daughter. Sons haddock sandwich was so huge he took some home for later.Nice kids meal selection.I always get a ham BBQ with Swiss and Everything.Their everything is lettuce,tomato,mayo,relish.You have to order the BBQ sauce on the side.The sandwich costs less than $4.00 and has3-4" of ham stacked.Don't know how they sell this sandwich so cheap and make any profit.If you order fries I ordered curly they come in a basket and it's enough fries for your party of 3-4.My father took my older sibs there after football games in the 50's and my mom continued to take my brothers and I there after my dad passed.It is a rustic wood beamed decor with old fashioned copper& kitchen items,antique sleigh bells,and of course a hand carved/painted wooden Indian sitting by the entry/exit doors.Steak salads are about $10 and they are huge.Portions can be shared and the price is more reasonable than fast food.We had a booth near the entry/exit doors and was able to converse and enjoy our meal. Sad to see that someone had a bad experience.Been going there my whole life and never got anything bad.Service was excellent.Did not get coffee or dessert (too full) so I can't rate.I have always loved Bert's and will go there every chance I get!

Reviewed March 27, 2012

Finally got back to visit this restaurant that I used to go to when I was a child. Still remember those frosted mugs of rootbear and ham BBQs! Unfortunately, this was a Friday in Lent, so I had to go with fish. Was pleasantly surprised at the quality of their inexpensive fish and chips. Everything I saw go by looked wonderful. Will definately be going back again.