“Always a pleasure”

Biba
Ranked #7 of 44 Restaurants in Beaver
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Biba is an upscale, seasonal Latin restaurant. The menu continually changes because it is based on the freshest ingredients that are currently in season. Biba focuses on using local ingredients and vendors. All of the food is fresh and made to order. The chef/owner, Jason Benegasi, is constantly coming up with new and innovative menu ideas influenced by South America, Central America and the Caribbean.
Reviewed March 20, 2014

The only reason I haven't rated this restaurant a 5 is that it's in a dry county. One must bring their own wine, although that could be a good thing. The other issue is the lack of ambiance.
I love the food at this restaurant; the preparations are unique with a Spanish flair. The menu changes regularly to reflect what's in season and embodies the freshest ingredients available.

1  Thank Rebecca K

Reviewed March 4, 2014

We are so fortunate to have Biba in our small, western Pennsylvania downtown. The food is super fresh, and the dishes are wonderfully creative. From the open-flame charred bread, to the cold vegetable soups, to the Skuna Bay salmon dishes, to the unique key-lime pie with broiled marshmallow glaze, every dish is prepared with style and care.

The owner, Jason, loves his restaurant, and it shows. Our usual server, Jeff, is a combination of city sophistication and small-town politeness. The ambience is warm and familiar, although it can be a little noisy when there's a full house. It's a small space, with lots of hard surfaces, and one or two chatty tables can flood the dining room with a cacophony of voices. The background music is usually superb, and on a recent visit I was introduced to the music of Oscar Lopez, whose latin guitar rhythms suited the restaurant perfectly.

It's a BYOB place, as the town of Beaver is a dry town. On Tuesdays, they have a two-tacos-for$5 special, eat in or take out. It's very popular, so we usually avoid Tuesdays and try to give Jason our business on Thursdays, when they're the slowest. They sometimes have chef's-tasting specials, as well, during midweek. Once we attended a beer-tasting dinner at Biba, where for $35 per person, we were served six course, each with a paired beer from the local Edward Jones Brewery. What a fun evening! IN the summer, they serve outdoors, as well, in a cafe-like setting on the sidewalk of downtown Beaver.

We really love this place, and there really isn't another restaurant like it outside of Pittsburgh proper, at least not that we've found. I can't say enough good things about it, and my only reservation about writing this review is that the restaurant will become even more popular, and it'll be harder to get a table.

"Like" them on Facebook, and you'll get menu updates on your News Feed automatically.

2  Thank Cliff H
Reviewed March 4, 2014

We've been to this restaurant twice - both times around Valentine's day. Last year (2013), I was a little dismayed at the food selection. It's quite exotic. I wasn't sure if the menu was Spanish, Mexican, or Middle Eastern, but that might be my lack of experience. It seemed that every "normal" dish had a weird ingredient. When I finally decided on the food, it was very good. Unfortunately, my husband's salmon was more raw than cooked. They took it back to cook it thoroughly. By the time it came back, I was completely finished with my meal. I had to wonder if it had been originally frozen that it was sooo undercooked. The fact that the chef stood at a nearby table and talked with other customers for 20 minutes while we waited for my husband's salmon was a little annoying. The atmosphere was very cozy and loud. They apologized for our experience and gave us a $20 gift card which we used this year. This trip, I found the food choices a little less quirky and everything was very tasty. Again, the atmosphere was very loud. We were having to shout to talk before our meal was over.

If you don't mind loud atmospheres with exotic food choices that are fairly expensive, I would recommend Biba. I personally won't go there again and pay that much to shout at my date for a conversation. By the way, it's BYOB because Beaver is a dry town, and you'll pay an "uncorking fee". Make a reservation.

Reviewed February 12, 2014

Excellent cuisine with a twist of Latin flair. Jason is a great chef and host. Very good service. BYOB a plus.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

My wife and I had dinner at Bibas on New Years. They had a great six course set menu. As always the food was amazing. The portions were the right size and the service was good. Each course was timed just right. In addition the price fairly reasonable. Looking forward to going back there again!