Howard Johnson Bartonsville/Poconos Area
Hotels.com
$129
$127
$106
Holiday Inn Express Stroudsburg - Poconos(Stroudsburg)(Great Value!)
$162
$153
Pocono Plaza Inn(Stroudsburg)
$99
All reviewsindoor poolroom was cleanpoconos areawould stay againcamelbackmicrowaveskiingblast
Reviewed November 29, 2010

Clean and comfortable, with pleasant and helpful staff. The lobby is beautiful, with many leather couches, chandeliers and a large flat panel television. The lobby and entrance are comparable to much more expensive hotels.

As there is a restaurant on the premises, there is no continental breakfast. I, for one, can do without the free soggy donut or stale danish in the morning. All rooms have a fridge and a microwave, which is a nice touch.

Honestly - I do not at all understand the negative reviews. This is not a luxury hotel, nor does it pretend to be. It is clean, comfortable and an excellent value. If soft and fluffy towels, and kleenex tissues mean so much to a traveller, bring along your own! The towels were serviceable; the tissues a cheap brand. And yes, the carpet, though spotlessly clean, is not plush.

Access to the hotel from route 80 is great - about a minute from the highway to check-in.
Check in/ check out was fast.
Coffee is available in the lobby at all times, although officially it is meant only from midnight to 7 am when the restaurant is closed.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank skarasik
Reviewed November 13, 2010

We had the plelasure of staying at this hotel for my childs soccer tournament last month. We got to check in very early (around 10:30 am) which is unusual as check in is at 3pm. They have the cuteset little restaurant that is like a rainforrest theme. The food was delicious. My steak was exactly as I ordered. Our room was great as it had a refridg and micro wave in it. Ive never seen that in any other hotel. I did notice there was no ice in the ice machines but everybody was filling up their coolers, so I went to the front desk and complained and they sent me to the kitchen and they gave me all the ice I needed. Overall I loved this place it was very clean and the front desk was great at 1am when kids were running up and down the halls in the night. They came up and made them all go to their rooms, end of story. I would recommend this to any family that wanted to stay in this area. There is so much to see and do around there to.

• Stayed: October 2010
1  Thank jlbuscec
Reviewed October 19, 2010

Only stayed overnight. Room was ok, bathroom was clean, wallpaper a little rundown, but shower curtain & sink looked newer. Room itself was clean, except for the bed. The comforter had some stains on the underside (couldn't tell with the print on outer side) & the matress covers on the side of bed looked dirty & stained. Sheets & pillows were clean though. Bed was comfortable, slept good, was quiet for a Saturday night. In the morning the coffee was out of order in lobby & no continental breakfast is available because they have a restaurant on site.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank maryAshland_Pa
Reviewed October 12, 2010

My husband and I stayed here for one night last week on the way to NYC. I actually did research on the best economy hotel about 1.5 hrs from the city and this was it and we weren't disappointed. My husband was able to use a corporate discount so we paid $63+ tax and I thought that was a great price for the hotel.

The hotel was in a good location just off the highway, it was clean, the staff friendly and we didn't have any problems. We had a corner room with a king bed and small fridge. It was a nice sized room, was clean (we checked for bed bugs and saw no sign). We didn't have any problems with noise or any other issues.

If I could give any advice it would be that a few things seemed older and in need of updating for instance our shower curtain had some tears in it.

We would definitely recommend this hotel and stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank brandy621
Reviewed October 12, 2010

Not a good experience. Here's why.

SAFETY
* Odd people wander the halls. Not sure whether there are people living there - though this may be the case.

CLEANLINESS
* First room we were given smelled incredibly musty - like it had taken in lots of water. The wallpaper peeling away from the walls was another clue that this was likely the case. Thankfully, management was willing to switch.
* Dirty rooms (including linen and carpets) and corridors

COMFORT
* Beds are small (full vs. queen?)
* Very low water pressure
* Ice machine on 2nd floor wasn't working

PROFESSIONALISM
* After promising our group a late checkout time the day before departure (and taking down the room numbers of those who had made a formal request), the management reneged on the arrangement and said it would charge any one of us who stayed past noon (instead of 1:30 PM) $45 extra. Despite having a list of rooms of the families who made requests, no one from the staff called us after changing their minds; we found out on the way out for a tournament game when one of our party tried to re-confirm the arrangement the day of departure. Of the two staff behind the counter this early Sunday AM, one laughed at us and the other said that in spite of what he had promised the day before, his manager reneged. One father had to drop his child off at the field and return to the hotel in advance of the checkout time in order to avoid the charge. He missed a game he had traveled to watch.

The only positive thing I can say is that the bar is reasonably priced. In short, there are other options in the area and I'd advise seriously considering them instead.

• Stayed: October 2010